• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One eyed jackdaw (1 Viewer)

Benk15

England
So I’ve had this Jackdaw coming to my garden for about 3 weeks and it’s always had 2 eyes but today it came and it seems one eye is either covered or missing, can anyone tell me what they think it is?DCE0D62B-C752-474E-AF71-E5C494F904C9.png

Welcome to BF.
Let's not assume too much... You know for a fact that it's been the same individual coming every time for 3 weeks? - and you definitely noted that it had always had two good eyes? ... because that doesn't look like a recent injury/loss/condition.
An injury followed by infection? Pass.

Hi Benk and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Eye injuries are rather more common than we generally think, we just don't get to see them close up very often. They mostly manage very well. It's different with raptors though, as they completely depend on perfect eyesight in order to be able to see and catch their prey.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Welcome to BF.
Let's not assume too much... You know for a fact that it's been the same individual coming every time for 3 weeks? - and you definitely noted that it had always had two good eyes? ... because that doesn't look like a recent injury/loss/condition.
An injury followed by infection? Pass.
Thanks for the reply and it may well be a different one just that it seems the exact same as the other one, really calm with human presence and is always in the same certain spots, do you think it’s infected?

Hi Benk and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

Eye injuries are rather more common than we generally think, we just don't get to see them close up very often. They mostly manage very well. It's different with raptors though, as they completely depend on perfect eyesight in order to be able to see and catch their prey.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Hi thanks for the reply and the warm welcoming, hopefully it’s nothing to serious, seems like it’s scared of other crows as it always flys into our bushes when it sees them, maybe been attacked by them as it seems like a lone jackdaw

Hi thanks for the reply and the warm welcoming, hopefully it’s nothing to serious, seems like it’s scared of other crows as it always flys into our bushes when it sees them, maybe been attacked by them as it seems like a lone jackdaw
The fact that it can't see out of that eye would no doubt affect its reaction to potential predators. A lot of the time it will only be able to assess any potential threats till the last minute if coming from its blind side. I wonder if it is only badly affected and may recover over time.

The fact that it can't see out of that eye would no doubt affect its reaction to potential predators. A lot of the time it will only be able to assess any potential threats till the last minute if coming from its blind side. I wonder if it is only badly affected and may recover over time.
Hopefully it recovers Andy! There’s been a hawk or a type of bird of prey coming round our garden recently also so maybe feels safe in our garden

Hi Benk and welcome aboard.
The damage I see doesn't give me much hope on its regaining the sight in that eye. Fingers crossed though!

Is that a tick under its eye socket? Not got my glasses on and looking on my phone so possibly not. If it is, that would explain a lot. Personally I don't think you can definitely say its lost an eye.

Hi Benk and welcome aboard.
The damage I see doesn't give me much hope on its regaining the sight in that eye. Fingers crossed though!
Hi and thanks for the warm welcome, fingers crossed it recovers 🤞🏻 It’s currently srill outside and has been sat in a corner most of the day

Attachments

• FE029B5A-5EB8-4F7C-8743-AFFE3C2AF15F.jpeg
    FE029B5A-5EB8-4F7C-8743-AFFE3C2AF15F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
Is that a tick under its eye socket? Not got my glasses on and looking on my phone so possibly not. If it is, that would explain a lot. Personally I don't think you can definitely say its lost an eye.
It could very well be Andy, it kind of looks like it and my dad thinks the same

Attachments

• IMG_2032.MOV
    19.5 MB
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back