• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

New to bird watching (1 Viewer)

Aqua-Andy

United States
My wife and I are rather newbie’s to bird watching. We have been using some bottom of the mill binoculars or an image stabilized 300mm lens on our DSLR. My problem is I have always had a problem using binoculars due to my rather narrow interpupillary distance (IPD) of 55mm. I always end up with a view of two circles or at best one circle with ghosting lines. This is why I sometimes resort to just using my camera. We have a trip to Acadia national park planned in a few weeks and I would like to purchase a nicer pair of binoculars for the trip, maybe in the $200 to $300 range. So what I was wondering is if there was an updated spreadsheet somewhere where I could narrow down my options to fit within my IPD? Also why is IPD range not a listed spec on most binoculars?
EDIT:
Unfortunately my area is very limited in stores where I can actually try out binoculars. If a store actually has some it’s a few models at most. To complicate things, we both wear glasses.

Last edited:
Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

We went to Arcadia 5 years ago and loved it.

There's an excellent local bird store in Newburyport, Mass right off I-95 north that you will probably be driving by on the way to Maine. They have all the binoculars made by Nikon and Zeiss and several other brands available to try. Might be a fun way to try them & get something for the trip.

And when I say it's just off the highway, that means like a few hundred yards from the exit ramp:

Hi Andy and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.
someone will no doubt be along soon to give you some ideas of binoculars which might suit you.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing about the birds you see around you.

There's an excellent local bird store in Newburyport, Mass right off I-95 north that you will probably be driving by on the way to Maine. They have all the binoculars made by Nikon and Zeiss and several other brands available to try. Might be a fun way to try them & get something for the trip.

And when I say it's just off the highway, that means like a few hundred yards from the exit ramp:

Thanks for the heads up on the store. It’s actually quite a ways south of us but I am around that area often as my other more expensive hobby is scuba diving.

Unfortunately above your envisaged budget but both 32 mm and 42 mm Zeiss Conquests have minimum IPDs of 54 mm and are a purchase you would not regret.
Even the Nikon and Swarovski (Habicht) Porros are 56 mm minimum.

John

I've had a long-time interest in binoculars for people with narrow IPD, but unfortunately, I haven't kept up with the latest offerings, esp. at the low end of the price range. Many older porros did well in this regard, but only a few work well with glasses. In modern porros, I haven't kept up, but one possibility is the Kowa 6x30 YF II, which costs about $120. There is also an 8x version, but the eye relief isn't as generous, so if you want to get something that is guaranteed to be comfortable, go for the 6x. The only downsides are poor (5 m) close focus and slightly low magnification, though the latter is not as big a problem for most users as they imagine it will be. You could order them from B&H Photo or another place where they are in stock and will ship immediately, so you have them well before your trip.

In the future, you might want to save for a top-end 8x32 roof (most of which have good minimum IPD of 52 or 54 mm, excellent eye relief, and good close focus) or maybe something like the Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket. Perhaps you could get a good deal on a used Zeiss 8x32 FL, which has 52 mm minimum IPD and 5 ft close focus. If you enjoy using bins for butterflies or other things up close, make sure you get a bin with 52 mm or less minimum IPD because your IPD is less at close distances than it is when viewing at infinity.

--AP

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up on the store. It’s actually quite a ways south of us but I am around that area often as my other more expensive hobby is scuba diving.
So you're in northern New England, that's cool. Probably heading to Cape Ann for some diving I'm guessing? For a while I got addicted to snorkeling and hit some of the spots in Gloucester, Rockport, south end of Plum Island, etc.

The Zeiss SF 8X32 is 54-76 mm, according to the numbers on the Zeiss website.

Highly recommended, if you want the best from Zeiss.

Last edited:
As mentioned there is usually a range stated for the binoculars as it is adjustable by the individual, much as with the diopter adjustment.

Install the free Merlin Bird ID app on your smartphone and the regional bird pack for your area. Both visual identification and audio identification are very helpful. Often a bird is calling but it is not visible and the Merlin ID by sound is very useful.

My prescription says my IPD is 55.
I have tried a lot of binos and manyy did not work for me.
Not everything that says it has a narrow IPD actually works.
What does always work - dual hinge designs - Nikon, Swaro, Zeiss, etc)

At the under $800 range I have found these worked (or nearly do):
Conquest x32 and x42
Kowa 6.5x32, but barely and sometimes get kidney beans (the eye cups are very large diameter, which interferes)
Nikon MHG, M7 - and many others by Nikon (specs say they are larger, have not found a Nikon that did not work)
Opticron Traveler ED 8x32 - similar fit/issues to Kowa, but with smaller diameter cups that work better
Zeiss Victory Pocket 8x25 (at narrow IPD the hinge moves far from right hand and was hard for me to operate)
Zeiss Terra x25, x32

My prescription says my IPD is 55.
Don't trust the optician! It's often a rough and ready measurement and parallax errors creep in.
My IPD was measured at 65,5 mm and years ago I was silly enough to even set my binoculars to that value.
I subsequently dicovered it's 63 mm. Your IPD could perhaps be best measured with a compact binocular, but IMO that's about all they're good for! ;)

John

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back