• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Final verdict (1 Viewer)

Not to apply a water and dirt resistent and repelling coating for example makes a binocular useless in bad weather conditions.
A manufacturer is leaving such a coating out because of PFAS content. Understandable but appertly did not replacement it for something else. It makes a binocular useless in all weather conditions. It even becomes a dirt collector that is hard to clean.
A binocular without PFAS coatings is useless in bad weather? I'm sorry, but that's utter nonsense. People used binoculars in all sorts of weather successfully long, long before water repellant coatings arrived on the scene. You need to adapt your field technique, and that's it.

Hermann

A binocular without PFAS coatings is useless in bad weather? I'm sorry, but that's utter nonsense. People used binoculars in all sorts of weather successfully long, long before water repellant coatings arrived on the scene. You need to adapt your field technique, and that's it.

Hermann
Exactly….hand over oculars (none of my early bins had a rain guard) in the wet and a quick wipe with the old shirtsleeve is how we did it for decades.

When I was a little kid, there were still (a few) chain-drive trucks, with solid rubber tires and open cabs running around.

Does that help?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back