• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Ideal place for a migration newbie to head for (2 Viewers)

Good morning, I’ve watched birds all my life but only really seriously in the last few years, never gone to a autumn migration key spot before (various reasons, kids, ex’s etc) but I’m getting the buzz to have a few days break next autumn to have a go, so many places that get some excellent birds coming though but where on earth is a good starting point for me? I will be on a limited budget sadly so can’t afford to jet off anywhere fun like the Scillies or outer Hebrides so it would be mainland uk for me. Would welcome any advice! I should say my id skills are okish might struggle with some of the harder warblers etc
Thank you

Good afternoon Thomas,

This is just my personal view (having done Scillies a few times), like many other meccas be it coastal, estuary or farmland, all good in their own right.

Nowadays I mostly do “my own patch” it’s cheaper 🤣(circa mile radius of my abode to include garden).
If you want to “find” good birds there’s no substitute for putting in the hours.

New Forest springs to mind, as it should be relatively local for you, alternatively any estuarine coastal site would also be rewarding.

Just pick a spot, bird it and if you find a locally scarce species (might take some time 😩) this should add impetus to your quest and enjoyment.

Happy Birding 👍

Good morning, I’ve watched birds all my life but only really seriously in the last few years, never gone to a autumn migration key spot before (various reasons, kids, ex’s etc) but I’m getting the buzz to have a few days break next autumn to have a go, so many places that get some excellent birds coming though but where on earth is a good starting point for me? I will be on a limited budget sadly so can’t afford to jet off anywhere fun like the Scillies or outer Hebrides so it would be mainland uk for me. Would welcome any advice! I should say my id skills are okish might struggle with some of the harder warblers etc
Thank you
Where are you based?
East Coast would be a good place for a few days Spurn, Flamborough or North Norfolk or you could try Cornwall or Devon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back