• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Hybrid Duck, Fife (1 Viewer)

Gander

Back in May I found a hybrid Tufted x female Pochard in central Fife.

This morning I visited a local water, where a Lesser Scaup has been reported. I took some very distant photos, but would like to confirm whether this is a Lesser Scaup or the afore mentioned hybrid? Incidentally, or maybe importantly, the water visited this morning is the one that the hybrid I found was originally recorded on about 20 miles away from where I saw it.

I'm leaning towards hybrid this time, so that means it's probably good for Lesser Scaup.🤞Though last photo does seem to show sizeable black tip to beak.

Attachments

• DSCN8253 (1).jpg
    DSCN8253 (1).jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN8253.jpg
    DSCN8253.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 64
  • DSCN8269.jpg
    DSCN8269.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 64
  • DSCN8314.jpg
    DSCN8314.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 72
  • DSCN8281.jpg
    DSCN8281.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 74
Last edited:
You've got no clear shots of the bill this time.... maaaybe the last one shows a wide dark tip, but that could easily just be a shadow, or pure photo artifact.

I can also see a bit of a brownish cast to the head in your May photos, but not this time.

On photo evidence, I'd call this "scaup until proven otherwise." (I wouldn't try to decide Lesser vs Greater on these photos, and I would not necessarily rely on previous reports.)

I'd say the peaked rear crown comfortably rules out Greater Scaup, and I don't believe the photos are ambiguous on that, albeit obviously not great quality. I do agree with @nartreb though that the details like the nail on the bill just can't be made out clearly enough to say whether a hybrid or not. If the extent in the last photo is true then it must be a hybrid.

Flanks of the bird in question seem a shade greyer to me than in the tufted ducks, and no clear photos of bill tip ... so from these photos here in this initial post it could even be a hybrid tufted x pochard again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back