• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Hobby - juvenile migration (1 Viewer)

gizmo

England
Firstly i hope i am asking in the correct area for posting my question - very new to this

I am trying to find out if the Hobby is a territorial bird or if many can thrive in one area.
Do the juveniles stay and migrate with the parents
Do they return each year to the same sites as a family or will the young find their own areas

Thank you for any help xt

As I understand it, breeding hobby pairs space themselves out, somewhat like peregrines. A relatively small (as the falcon flies) area is actively defended, but they will hunt much further abroad.

If when you referred to "many can thrive in one area" you meant something like the breeding colonies of Eleonora's falcons, then no, that doesn't happen with this species. But in areas where there is a lot of prey (dragonflies, etc) then yes you can see good numbers, particularly the first and last month of the season. I've seen 13 in the air at once at Rainham RSPB reserve near London, and other sites have recorded many more. I suppose the same must happen on their wintering grounds.

The juveniles I have watched seem to leave with the adults or at least the adult male (I need to check my notes to be sure, but think the female has left earlier some years). No idea if they travel with the adults at all, or if they do so for how long, but by then they are able to feed themselves, catching dragonflies etc, and are probably self-sufficient. Young birds are sometimes seen around breeding pairs, but without ringing recoveries or being able to read coloured rings etc. it's hard to say whether they were last year's youngsters.

As I understand it, breeding hobby pairs space themselves out, somewhat like peregrines. A relatively small (as the falcon flies) area is actively defended, but they will hunt much further abroad.

If when you referred to "many can thrive in one area" you meant something like the breeding colonies of Eleonora's falcons, then no, that doesn't happen with this species. But in areas where there is a lot of prey (dragonflies, etc) then yes you can see good numbers, particularly the first and last month of the season. I've seen 13 in the air at once at Rainham RSPB reserve near London, and other sites have recorded many more. I suppose the same must happen on their wintering grounds.

The juveniles I have watched seem to leave with the adults or at least the adult male (I need to check my notes to be sure, but think the female has left earlier some years). No idea if they travel with the adults at all, or if they do so for how long, but by then they are able to feed themselves, catching dragonflies etc, and are probably self-sufficient. Young birds are sometimes seen around breeding pairs, but without ringing recoveries or being able to read coloured rings etc. it's hard to say whether they were last year's youngsters.
thank you for answering my post - it has been very helpful as well as interesting - it must have been truely wonderful to see so many and to get to study them - i am only a couple of years into learning about birds so have limited knowledge - being involved in wildlife rescue i like to get as much information and understanding of the birds, especially when it comes to them being released - sometimes with our rescued ones the original site the birds are brought in from my not always be suitable for the species to go back to - hence my question to help me with a release of a hobby soon - so thank you again xt

Regarding releasing young hobbies for the greatest chances of survival - the best people to speak to are likely other experienced rehabbers/wildlife hospitals (South Essex Wildlife Hospital seems to have quite a few misadventuring young peregrines brought in). I would imagine (though would very strongly recommend speaking to those more experienced) that if their parents' territory cannot be ascertained, releasing them somewhere there is lots of food (eg. dragonflies) would be the next best thing. The difficulty, though, is being sure the released birds can catch prey themselves: wild young will have been fed by their parents as they progress from catching beetles and slower-flying insects to dragonflies (this can last till well into September).

Last edited:
Regarding releasing young hobbies for the greatest chances of survival - the best people to speak to are likely other experienced rehabbers/wildlife hospitals (South Essex Wildlife Hospital seems to have quite a few misadventuring young peregrines brought in). I would imagine (though would very strongly recommend speaking to those more experienced) that if their parents' territory cannot be ascertained, releasing them somewhere there is lots of food (eg. dragonflies) would be the next best thing. The difficulty, though, is being sure the released birds can catch prey themselves: wild young will have been fed by their parents as they progress from catching beetles and slower-flying insects to dragonflies (this can last till well into September).
thank you for the contact of another rehabber - always good to talk to other experienced wildlife rescues - i am a volunteer at a wildlife rescue, and realise that things change due to updated research, this agian is why i like to look into everything and get as much correct knowledge as possible - to educate myself and to support the wildlife centre if it needs it - we do have contacts with bird of prey centres, as well as plenty of experience at the centre , it have come across a little wrong in my post - i am also a trainee bird ringer and as i have been getting further into my training, migration has become an interesting part for me and agian knowing how import this is when releasing some species - i am very much into the diet as well as hand rearing rescue so again it was another area i am interested in - sorry if i caused any concern or worry about releasing of the hobby - it will be all done correctly, from diet, exercise, flight weight, sites, ect - i just wanted to start learning further and get a more understanding of all birds generally and how they all differ in their needs and how they behave ect -and chats always tend to give you more insight from those who have studied birds for many years, as well as getting to read and learn other interesting facts - thank you again xt

Users who are viewing this thread

Back