• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hi, i have a robins nest on my window sill. It has 4 eggs in it. Is it true that the baby robins will jump out before flying? Its very hi from ground (4 Viewers)

Lorilew61

United States
I have a robins nest on my very high window sill with 4 eggs. Is it true that they jump out of the nest before flying? If so, how can i keep them from jumping to their death?

Welcome to Birdforum.

The fledglings will fly from the nest, they won’t jump to their deaths. Leave well alone; it’s illegal to interfere with a live nest.

Hi Lorilew and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Although they can't fly well at this stage, they can a little but mostly they flutter. When faced with a drop like this they open their wings and parachute down, sometimes they're lucky and land in a tree or shrub. Otherwise they'll try and find something to hide under until the adults find them and steer them to safety.

It is best not to go near them just now, as any disturbance could make them leave the nest too early in their development.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

I have a robins nest on my very high window sill with 4 eggs. Is it true that they jump out of the nest before flying? If so, how can i keep them from jumping to their death?
Yes, it's called erupting or exploding, a fight or flee reaction when the youngsters feel threatened. As suggested watch from a safe distance so as not to disturb them or the parents, or exposure to nearby predators.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back