• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Heron I.D..yellow feet cause confusion for Singh Brain..lol.. (1 Viewer)

Hybrid Cattle x Little's rarer than plain old Cattle Egret anyway Doc. :t:
Chris
p.s. I still think it's a Cattle Egret 3:)

I have seen Cattle Egrets frequently in Thailand and Myanmar and would have no qualms about this being one -- I think it is. Certainly I don't feel it's too slender. The only feature I thought a bit unusual was leg length -- and maybe those yellow feet. So a possible hybrid with Little cannot be discounted, I guess. We'll probably never know....

Marie :smoke:

I may be missing something here, but based on structure why isn't it an Intermediate Egret??

A

I don't think you are ;)

Looks ok for Intermediate Egret - note black tip to the bill, structure as mentioned. A few anomalies with pigmentation, lores, and the feet especially etc
See and scroll through these - http://orientalbirdimages.org/searc...esult&Bird_ID=1109&Bird_Family_ID=&pagesize=1

Egrets do seem to pick up some strange pigmentation fairly regularly it seems, this is probably diet ? - http://orientalbirdimages.org/searc...esult&Bird_ID=1109&Bird_Family_ID=&pagesize=1

and Little here - http://www.lincsbirdclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9118&sid=3ca3cc454e3d9a87dc91ff958d95d444

Bill is clearly too long for intermediate, colouration as well.

I agree. Not only is the bill too long and the wrong shape (rather parallel-sided with strongly curved culmen) for Intermediate, the head is too large and wedge-shaped, and the neck looks short.

I am pretty sure this must be a Cattle x Little hybrid.

Here's an Intermediate for comparison, photographed yesterday.

Cheers

Dave

Attachments

• Intermediate Egret_Penaga_290409_IMG_2545.jpg
    Intermediate Egret_Penaga_290409_IMG_2545.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I agree. Not only is the bill too long and the wrong shape (rather parallel-sided with strongly curved culmen) for Intermediate, the head is too large and wedge-shaped, and the neck looks short.

I am pretty sure this must be a Cattle x Little hybrid.

Here's an Intermediate for comparison, photographed yesterday.

Cheers

Dave

Fair enough, trust the Doc to find a hybrid! ;)

After browsing through lots of shots of putative Egret hybrids I have to say that the bird in question is probably a hybrid ( with lots of Cattle Egret in it :t::t:)
Chris

IMO, it's not a Little Egret. Bill structure (and colour) looks wrong, the legs are too thick, the eye is very pale.
I don't see an Intermediate Egret either, but I am not familiar with the Asian subspecies of Intermediate.

Legs thickness seems to point towards Swinhoe's Egret (a bird I am not at all familiar with...):http://www.mangoverde.com/birdsound/picpages/pic20-24-1.html

Definitely not a Swinhoe's/Chinese Egret. The bill and neck are too short, the head too large, and a bird with bright yellow bill (ie coming into breeding condition) should show substantial head plumes (cf here)

Dave

That may well be a good call. As long as its not a Cattle, I'm happy!

How big was the bird in the field?

Jane it appeared bigger then a Little Egret..but dont forget i was about 180 or so feet from it..it did appear larger then a Egret..two birds but only one had the colouration...the pissky birds took off after i had just managed to get three shots..only two were worth...leave it to me to find a contraversal bird..WHY ME..:'DB :):t:Thank you Jane and others..Dave B...will send you the pictures...as soon as i find them in my raw files my friend.:t:

I am going with a Cattle x Little Egret hybrid. I see Cattle Egrets quite frequently and I am all but certain that this isn't a Cattle Egret (unless they look different outside the U.S.A.--which I doubt). It just doesn't look like any Cattle Egret that I have ever seen and I have seen hundreds, if not thousands, of them.

Last edited:
Just wondering, does a Cattle X Little look different from a Little X Cattle, in much the same way that different combinations of Aythya do ???

I have only just seen this thread. if I were to plump for a hybrid I would probably say Intermediate x Cattle due to buffy colouration, dark legs and rather thick dagger-like bill.

Strangely that putative Little x Cattle hybrid in France looks an awful lot like a summer-plumaged Swinhoe's.

Sean
Colchester

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back