• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Gull Identification in San Diego, California, USA - 7/15/24 (1 Viewer)

ShlundoKyogre

United States
Dear the Wonderful users of this forum,

I have seen a flock of gulls on the nearby shore in which I was able to photograph. I was nearly sure they are Western gulls but I also know that they could be a rare Glacous-Winged hybrid as well. Thanks for all your support and images will be provided below to assist with the ID. Could the Gull in the 3rd photo be a rare hybrid although the photos location says otherwise?

All feedback is indeed very appreciated.

Thanks,
Shlundo

20240712152231_IMG_3785.JPG
20240712152029_IMG_3774 (1).JPG

20240712135421_IMG_3698.JPG

Last edited:
In response, thanks so much for your feedback as it is much appreciated. Also I should mention one individual of the gulls shown in the third photo I listed's back feathers seem to appear a lighter gray than the other individual gulls I photographed and listed. Is this perhaps due to the worn plumage you have mentioned? Or is it perhaps due to a different reason?

Thanks and all the best,
Shlundo

Last edited:
In response, thanks so much for your feedback as it is much appreciated. Also is the reason one individual of the gulls I have photographed back feathers seem to appear a lighter gray than the other individual gulls I photographed due to the worn plumage you have mentioned? Or is it perhaps due to a different reason?

Thanks,
Shlundo
The first two are quite strongly lit from above, and the last looks like it was taken in flatter light conditions. The lit areas of the first two birds' uppers appear more or less the same as the last bird. The darker areas are just in shadow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back