• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bosma 8x42 ed (1 Viewer)

Very interesting market entry.
Bosma has been discussed repeatedly on this forum as one of the leading Chinese optical producers, with production for a number of well known western brands. I had not seen any of their own name product advertised previously outside of China. Given precedent from other technology sectors, notably consumer electronics and computers, this suggests that Bosma is beginning to step out into the retail space, with lots more to come.
For binocular buyers, this may produce some excellent bargains, as the fight for market position heats up.
Hopefully Bosma will have chosen super competitive entries to spearhead its market push. A good review of this glass should tell whether they are serious.

These bins are available under another OEM name ... I pointed out that they were OEMed by Bosma on that thread.

A search for Bosma should find the thread which also has comments from a user who has looked through them.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=176276

I bought these as Eden Quality 8x42 ED binoculars, see the above link to the thread.

Build quality is a lottery; on mine the diopter adjustment ring went berzerk after a week.

First I noticed that the close distance minimum focus of 3.7 m went all of a sudden to about 2 meters; I then noticed I couldn't get trees about 300 m away in sharp focus, while turning the focus wheel to its utmost, i.e. infinity. The diopter had changed somehow, I couldn't get it even for both eyes and experienced eye strain. Checking the diopter position I found it had wandered off on its own, and no longer held any stable position.

This is the second time I bought a binocular with combined focus wheel/diopter ring design
that went berzerk. The first was my Zeiss 7x42 FL where the diopter adjustment, hidden under the focus wheel, wandered freely on an irregular basis when I changed the IPD of the bins. It drove me crazy, because I had to check the diopter position innumerable times when I should have used the bins without worries.

This won't happen a third time.
I sold the Zeiss for a fraction of the new price.
I threw the Eden in the bin.
Eden "Quality", my *ss.

I'll stick to bins with separate diopter adjustments, on the left or right ocular. Where it should be.

Regards,

Ronald

The focus wheel/diopter combo seems to cause quality control problems in cheaper Chinese constructed binoculars. Vortex had it with the Fury. The Leica Trinovid has had no problems with it that I have heard of. I think I reset mine (minutely) twice in 3 years. And so far the one on my EDG has worked perfectly and it seems to be more complicated because on the EDG there is a focus lock position at a stop between the diopter setting and the diopter lock. Very useful if on a tripod.
Bob

The Leica Trinovid has had no problems with it that I have heard of.

Check back in the Leica forum a few years. I had problems with the diopter on my first 7x42 BN slipping repeatedly until it was unusuable and after only a short period of time. Cabelas exchange/return policy though saved the day.

;-)

I'll take my chances, Frank. Swarovski uses a similar diopter mechanism in it's EL's. Has anybody ever had any problems with it?

Bob

PS: I just checked Cabela's Fall Master Catalogue. It looks like their EURO Binocular uses the same diopter adjustment off the center focus knob too. And I note that Zeiss still has theirs there too.

Last edited:
Bob,

No complaints from me with the center diopter design in general. I have had a few that had issues and a few that didn't. Your comment just reminded me of the problem I had with my first BN.

These look very much like the original RSPB HD and Luger DG binoculars.

The RSPB version were very good at their price point to my eyes so at these prices, assuming they are the same device in different rubber, they appear to be something of a bargain!!

Cheers

These look very much like the original RSPB HD and Luger DG binoculars.

The RSPB version were very good at their price point to my eyes so at these prices, assuming they are the same device in different rubber, they appear to be something of a bargain!!

Cheers[/QUOTE

With all due respect, but did you read the whole thread?
The optical quality is certainly a pleasant surprise at this price point,
though.

Kind regards,

Ronald

Eden (Bosma)

Hi there.

I'm new to this forum, so this will be my first contribution (I started reading things here about a week ago, and I can't seem to stop, it's terrible!).

First a question for Kor: Why did you throw your Eden in the bin? Can you still get it out? They have a 25 years warranty, and according to a customer's review on their own website who bought the HD 8x32 version (with a separate diopter) and had a problem with one eyepiece, he got his replaced immediately (the bins, not the eyepiece):
http://knivesandtools.nl/nl/pt/-eden-quality-verrekijker-hd-8x32.htm (all in Dutch, I’m afraid)
This would be (have been?) a nice opportunity to find out if their customer service is any good and also if the replacement bins have any ailments.

Also, when googling on the word Eden, I stumbled upon a raving review of the 8x42 HD version on an astronomers forum:
http://www.astroforum.nl/threads/126596-Eden-8-x-42-HD-dakkant-verrekijker
Unfortunately, this is also in Dutch (sorry, guys), but what it comes down to is that three people have compared the Eden extensively with two other binoculars: the Zeiss Conquest 8 x 40 and the Swarovski EL 8,5 X 42. They could find almost no difference in image quality! (There was one slight difference, but I don't know the technical term for it in English, maybe Kor can help me out here…)

It's a pity they don't have a website in the US, but they have one in the UK though. Maybe if one of the UK members is in an adventurous mood, he might order a one and compare it with his best bins:
http://www.edenwebshops.co.uk/en/ct/eden-quality-binoculars.htm

Okay, that's enough for a first message (I need some sleep…)
Kind regards,
Cees

Hi there.

I'm new to this forum, so this will be my first contribution (I started reading things here about a week ago, and I can't seem to stop, it's terrible!).

First a question for Kor: Why did you throw your Eden in the bin? Can you still get it out? They have a 25 years warranty, and according to a customer's review on their own website who bought the HD 8x32 version (with a separate diopter) and had a problem with one eyepiece, he got his replaced immediately (the bins, not the eyepiece):
http://knivesandtools.nl/nl/pt/-eden-quality-verrekijker-hd-8x32.htm (all in Dutch, I’m afraid)
This would be (have been?) a nice opportunity to find out if their customer service is any good and also if the replacement bins have any ailments.

Also, when googling on the word Eden, I stumbled upon a raving review of the 8x42 HD version on an astronomers forum:
http://www.astroforum.nl/threads/126596-Eden-8-x-42-HD-dakkant-verrekijker
Unfortunately, this is also in Dutch (sorry, guys), but what it comes down to is that three people have compared the Eden extensively with two other binoculars: the Zeiss Conquest 8 x 40 and the Swarovski EL 8,5 X 42. They could find almost no difference in image quality! (There was one slight difference, but I don't know the technical term for it in English, maybe Kor can help me out here…)

It's a pity they don't have a website in the US, but they have one in the UK though. Maybe if one of the UK members is in an adventurous mood, he might order a one and compare it with his best bins:
http://www.edenwebshops.co.uk/en/ct/eden-quality-binoculars.htm

Okay, that's enough for a first message (I need some sleep…)
Kind regards,
Cees

Welcome to birdforum, Cees!

Well, after two mishaps with diopter/focus combined binocular designs
I decided that I'd had it; see my posting 4 on this thread.

I could have returned the Edens and would have gotten new ones, but of the same design and I don't trust that anymore, it's as simple as that.
The guy from Knivesandtools mailed me that I could have had a refund, in case I would not accept a replacement for the Eden.
This is really good costumer service.
I certainly can appreciate that, but I decided to follow my instincts and threw the bins in the bin. That was quite a relief.

I've vowed to never, ever buy another pair of binoculars with a combined diopter/focus wheel- design, because it's bound for trouble sooner or later.
I'm not the only one who's had trouble with this stupid design, read the subforums, but most people seem to be happy to put up with it. Good for them.

I've been using binoculars for over 4 decades, and the only reliable ones were the ones with separate diopter/focus wheel designs. Never any trouble with these, in porro nor roof binoculars.

I read the review of the Eden 8x42 HD in comparison with the Zeiss Conquest 8x40 and Swarovski EL 8.5x42 ( thanks for the link!), and the difference you refer to between the Eden on the one hand and the Zeiss and Swaro on the other, is "vertekening" in Dutch (correct me if I'm wrong).
This means the Edens have more distortion at the edges, but I'm unsure if that means pincushion distortion or barrel distortion. It's not explained in the review, unfortunately.

The reviewer refered to the Swaro and Zeiss on the one hand, and the Eden HD's on the other, as the difference between Rolls Royce and Volkswagen.
Perfect vs. nearly perfect.
I've found my Lexus in the Canon IS's, I think.

Well, I hope that I've answered your questions, and I'm looking forward to read further postings of yours on this forum.
It can become addictive, as many of us have experienced.

Kind regards,

Ronald

Thanks very much, happy to be here!
Also thanks for your extensive reply, it has cleared up a lot. By the way, I'm an absolute beginner in the binoworld. All I know is what I've learned from reading this forum in the past week or so. Just so you can put my potentially stupid remarks in context.

Speaking about stupidity, I'm sorry about calling you Kor, Ronald! (I was looking at the wrong side of the screen; probably a collimation problem :)

>The guy from Knivesandtools mailed me that I could have had a refund, in >case I would not accept a replacement for the Eden.
>This is really good costumer service.
>I certainly can appreciate that, but I decided to follow my instincts and >threw the bins in the bin. That was quite a relief.

I had quite a laugh when I read this. In an earlier message (the one you referred to) you wrote that you'd rather buy a Swarovski but couldn't afford one. I'm afraid this way you might never reached that point, Ronald!

>I've vowed to never, ever buy another pair of binoculars with a combined >diopter/focus wheel- design, because it's bound for trouble sooner or later.
>I'm not the only one who's had trouble with this stupid design, read the >subforums, but most people seem to be happy to put up with it. Good for >them.

Okay, that's good to know. I'm definitely not going to try any of those.

>This means the Edens have more distortion at the edges, but I'm unsure if >that means pincushion distortion or barrel distortion. It's not explained in >the review, unfortunately.

Which of those two types of distortion is worse, in your opinion?

>The reviewer refered to the Swaro and Zeiss on the one hand, and the >Eden HD's on the other, as the difference between Rolls Royce and >Volkswagen.
>Perfect vs. nearly perfect.
>I've found my Lexus in the Canon IS's, I think.

Yes, they sound interesting. But I saw that they have a magnification of 16x!
Doesn't that cause an extremely small field of view?

>Well, I hope that I've answered your questions,

Yes, thank you for that.

>and I'm looking forward to read further postings of yours on this forum.

Well, I don't know if I have much to offer this forum. I have mostly questions, I suppose. I was curious about the Eden because I had bought a 8x32 HD as a present for my brother. I looked through them before handing them over of course, and I found them very bright and sharp. But that doesn't mean much, because I have never owned a serious binocular, that much I have learned here. Therefore, I just ordered an 8x28 Hurricane for myself, to have some kind of reference point. I will compare it with the Eden in a couple of weeks.

>It can become addictive, as many of us have experienced.

Yes. It's weird, actually.

Kind regards,
Cees

Thanks very much, happy to be here!
Also thanks for your extensive reply, it has cleared up a lot. By the way, I'm an absolute beginner in the binoworld. All I know is what I've learned from reading this forum in the past week or so. Just so you can put my potentially stupid remarks in context.

Speaking about stupidity, I'm sorry about calling you Kor, Ronald! (I was looking at the wrong side of the screen; probably a collimation problem :)

>The guy from Knivesandtools mailed me that I could have had a refund, in >case I would not accept a replacement for the Eden.
>This is really good costumer service.
>I certainly can appreciate that, but I decided to follow my instincts and >threw the bins in the bin. That was quite a relief.

I had quite a laugh when I read this. In an earlier message (the one you referred to) you wrote that you'd rather buy a Swarovski but couldn't afford one. I'm afraid this way you might never reached that point, Ronald!

>I've vowed to never, ever buy another pair of binoculars with a combined >diopter/focus wheel- design, because it's bound for trouble sooner or later.
>I'm not the only one who's had trouble with this stupid design, read the >subforums, but most people seem to be happy to put up with it. Good for >them.

Okay, that's good to know. I'm definitely not going to try any of those.

>This means the Edens have more distortion at the edges, but I'm unsure if >that means pincushion distortion or barrel distortion. It's not explained in >the review, unfortunately.

Which of those two types of distortion is worse, in your opinion?

>The reviewer refered to the Swaro and Zeiss on the one hand, and the >Eden HD's on the other, as the difference between Rolls Royce and >Volkswagen.
>Perfect vs. nearly perfect.
>I've found my Lexus in the Canon IS's, I think.

Yes, they sound interesting. But I saw that they have a magnification of 16x!
Doesn't that cause an extremely small field of view?

>Well, I hope that I've answered your questions,

Yes, thank you for that.

>and I'm looking forward to read further postings of yours on this forum.

Well, I don't know if I have much to offer this forum. I have mostly questions, I suppose. I was curious about the Eden because I had bought a 8x32 HD as a present for my brother. I looked through them before handing them over of course, and I found them very bright and sharp. But that doesn't mean much, because I have never owned a serious binocular, that much I have learned here. Therefore, I just ordered an 8x28 Hurricane for myself, to have some kind of reference point. I will compare it with the Eden in a couple of weeks.

>It can become addictive, as many of us have experienced.

Yes. It's weird, actually.

Kind regards,
Cees

Hello Cees,

As you probably have noticed from reading the subforums there are more opinions on binoculars than there are stars in the universe.
There are many brands of binoculars too, each one of them with a throng of dedicated followers, especially in the top class. Most binocular afficionados
own more than just one bin, and many strive to collect a complete harem of fine optics.

If you have any questions, no matter on what subject, or aspect of binoculars, don't hesitate to ask them. There's an overwheming amount of knowledge amongst the regular forum members, and people are happy to help you out in any way.
On technical stuff, my own knowledge is only very modest. I'm learning too, here on this forum. The amount of information is so vast, you'll have years of fun reading the lot, probably. :eat:

Pincushion distortion means that vertical lines at the edges of the field of view in a binocular image are bent inwards, barrel distortion means they're bent outwards. It's the amount of distortion, rather than the distortion itselve, which will define the quality of the image at the edges. A lot of distortion at the edges is mostly found in cheap optics, especially so in wide
field of view bins. Less distortion, or virtually no distortion at all, is common in the higher priceclass, which contributes to a purer picture throughout the field of view.
Here my expertise comes to a grinding halt, for technical aspects there are far more knowledged people than me, here. :t:

Reading back my own remarks about the Eden binoculars, I think I could have put it somewhat less harsh; after all, most people who own them think very highly of them, according to the reviews on Knivesandtools.
It's probably a case of being unlucky for one time too many; I'm no diplomat
when it comes to ergonomic designs in binoculars. I'm either in favour, or I condemn them. Please keep in mind that not all people here have such a distorted view on reality as I seem to have. It's just my nature, I suppose.

I've no knowledge of the 8x28 Hurricanes you mention, but I would be happy to learn how you like them; maybe, if you feel like it, you would want to give your impressions of them in a new thread, and don't feel hesitant because you're new here, any review no matter how short will meet with kind reactions. We're all amateurs here, in the true sense of the word.

About the Canons, well, I happen to like them. A lot. See my contributions in the Canon subforum. They come in six different models; I have the 10x30 IS's and the 18x50 IS's. There is no 16x Canon, but there is a 15x50 model.
The larger magnification models have a somewhat restricted field of view
(FOV), that is true, as in all big magnification binoculars. The apparent FOV (AFOV) however, which is 65 * and 66.6* in mine, gives the impression of a roomy view, without tunneling. The 10x30's have a FOV of 105m/1000m, which is quite decent for 10x bins.
The image stabilization works for me, but not all people like them.

If you're new to using binoculars, and you're not into image stabilized bins, it's safest to get a model of 8x magnification with a reasonably wide FOV.
That's not only my opinion, but it's the common consensus here on Birdforum as well. Do you happen to know the FOV of the 8x28 Hurricanes?
Ideally, it should yield some 130m/1000m, but less is OK when they are easy to use. You'll have to practice with them, and you'll find it becomes easier to point them, until it becomes almost second nature.
Have fun, use them a lot, on no matter what. Most people here, including me, like to watch buildings and trees and not only birds, just for the sheer fun of enjoying the view of a good binocular. Nothing wrong with that.

Enjoy your Hurricanes, good to have you on the forum,

Best regards,

Ronald

PS : KorHaan, my avatar name, I derived from my alter ego, in my comics.
I work as a comic artist, Kor Haan ( Black Grouse ) is one of series.

Cees,
Is the Hurricane 8 x 28 you ordered a Vortex Hurricane? If so, I believe, at least here in the USA, that Vortex is discontinuing the Hurricane series. I had an 8 x 28 Vortex Hurricane. It had a rather wide FOV as I recall. 360' at 1000 yards.

It was OK but it had very long eye relief (19mm. as I recall) and it's eye cups did not extend out long enough for me. I had to hold the binocular away from my eyes to see the full field without getting partial black outs. I gave them to my son who wears glasses and they work perfectly for him as long as he keeps his glasses on while using them.
Bob

Hello, Ronald.

As you probably have noticed from reading the subforums there are more opinions on binoculars than there are stars in the universe.
There are many brands of binoculars too, each one of them with a throng of dedicated followers, especially in the top class. Most binocular afficionados
own more than just one bin, and many strive to collect a complete harem of fine optics.

Yes, I’ve noticed that. I can understand if you want to keep a few different models on hand for different purposes, but there seem to be many people here owning dozens of them. It's like collecting stamps, amazing.

Reading back my own remarks about the Eden binoculars, I think I could have put it somewhat less harsh; after all, most people who own them think very highly of them, according to the reviews on Knivesandtools.
It's probably a case of being unlucky for one time too many; I'm no diplomat
when it comes to ergonomic designs in binoculars. I'm either in favour, or I condemn them. Please keep in mind that not all people here have such a distorted view on reality as I seem to have. It's just my nature, I suppose.

Don't worry about it. I didn't take offence at all, I just thought it was rather funny. In the same sense that I find it comical how many people on this forum collect (in my view) very expensive binoculars like there's no tomorrow, yet at the same time frantically looking for the cheapest place to get them. There's a certain irony there, it seems.
With regard to the Eden, I have no specific preference for that brand at all. I just happened to read the test report on the TVWG-website (birding group of Twente), which sparked my curiosity. It was a present for my brother, but he already indicated he would have preferred a more compact bino, to put in his pocket. I actually knew that, but I couldn't resist the temptation of trying to get the maximum quality of view for about € 100, thinking he'd be so impressed that he didn't mind the compromise in size. Well, that's a few weeks ago, he's had time enough to fool around with it and he hasn't phoned me back, so maybe he wants to keep it after all.
In the meantime I ordered the Hurricane, because for some strange reason I fell in love with Vortex, I just had to have one. And it's cheap, which is important (Christ, I'm no different from the rest of the bunch!).

I've no knowledge of the 8x28 Hurricanes you mention, but I would be happy to learn how you like them; maybe, if you feel like it, you would want to give your impressions of them in a new thread, and don't feel hesitant because you're new here, any review no matter how short will meet with kind reactions. We're all amateurs here, in the true sense of the word.

Okay, I'll probably do that in a couple of weeks, when I get a chance to compare it with the Eden. I'm actually pretty curious about it myself. I already know from the test report that the latter compares well with the Nikon Monarch, but I'm curious if I'm going to be able to see the things that people are talking about here.

About the Canons, well, I happen to like them. A lot. See my contributions in the Canon subforum. They come in six different models; I have the 10x30 IS's and the 18x50 IS's. There is no 16x Canon, but there is a 15x50 model.
The larger magnification models have a somewhat restricted field of view
(FOV), that is true, as in all big magnification binoculars. The apparent FOV (AFOV) however, which is 65 * and 66.6* in mine, gives the impression of a roomy view, without tunneling. The 10x30's have a FOV of 105m/1000m, which is quite decent for 10x bins.
The image stabilization works for me, but not all people like them.

Okay, I get it. You need the stabilisation because of the extreme magnification, right? In order to avoid the jitters. That makes sense. I read a review the other day by a Dutchman who was very enthusiastic about the Nikon Action VII 10-22X50 CF Zoom. Said he could take a good look at airplanes eight miles up in the air. ‘But you need a stable hand,’ he added. That seems like an understatement to me. What do you think?

If you're new to using binoculars, and you're not into image stabilized bins, it's safest to get a model of 8x magnification with a reasonably wide FOV.
That's not only my opinion, but it's the common consensus here on Birdforum as well.

Yes, I gathered that. Whatever my ‘final bin’ will be (still fooling myself), it's probably going to be an 8x. Or a 7x. Even the 6x Yosemite sounds promising, although 6x might not sound like something a real man would want to be seen walking around with. 

Do you happen to know the FOV of the 8x28 Hurricanes?
Ideally, it should yield some 130m/1000m, but less is OK when they are easy to use.

What it says in the advertisement is that the ‘Linear FOV’ at 1000 yards is 360 feet, and that the ‘angular field of view’ is 6.9 degrees. What I like about Vortex is the sturdy look, it has an aura of reliability (or simply a good marketing department).

You'll have to practice with them, and you'll find it becomes easier to point them, until it becomes almost second nature.
Have fun, use them a lot, on no matter what. Most people here, including me, like to watch buildings and trees and not only birds, just for the sheer fun of enjoying the view of a good binocular. Nothing wrong with that.

Yes. Somebody in another thread wrote something like ‘I love the beauty of light’.
I think I understand what he means.

Regards,
Cees

Hello, Bob.

Cees,
Is the Hurricane 8 x 28 you ordered a Vortex Hurricane? If so, I believe, at least here in the USA, that Vortex is discontinuing the Hurricane series. I had an 8 x 28 Vortex Hurricane. It had a rather wide FOV as I recall. 360' at 1000 yards.

Yes, it's a Vortex. I suppose 360 feet is not bad for a compact. I'm very curious about that thing, but it just refuses to arrive. The guy at the mail company said the package had 'disappeared'. They are looking into it and will phone me back on Monday (which is very nice of them). I hope they can use their magic to make it appear again.

It was OK but it had very long eye relief (19mm. as I recall) and it's eye cups did not extend out long enough for me. I had to hold the binocular away from my eyes to see the full field without getting partial black outs. I gave them to my son who wears glasses and they work perfectly for him as long as he keeps his glasses on while using them.
Bob

Oops. Thanks for the heads-up. It sounds a bit ominous to me... Maybe I'm going to have to wear sunglasses in order to use them. I have no experience yet with things like eye relief, but I will find out soon enough, I hope (if the parcel arrives). At the present moment I'm probably the only member on this forum who doesn't own a single binocular. That could be a record in itself.

Regards,
Cees

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back