• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bluebird issue (1 Viewer)

po5353

United States
I live in South Carolina and have had a pair of Bluebirds nest in a box in my yard for the last six years. Normally they would lay five eggs and fledge three. She has fledged her first three this year and has started on her second brood! Only she had laid NINE eggs as of 4-23-21! What is going on? Help!

Attachments

• C3C3FE05-0646-4C89-B6B8-EC76CB986A5E.jpeg
    C3C3FE05-0646-4C89-B6B8-EC76CB986A5E.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
Hi Po and a warm welcome to you from Myrtle Beach and on behalf of the rest of the staff!
Please join in wherever you like and you sure shocked the heck out of me looking at all those eggs.

Please be advised that normally images of nests and eggs are not allowed on BirdForum. I am letting this one pass due to the surprising amount of eggs but please, no more.

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good information on here, hope you enjoy your stay.

Look at all those eggs! I wonder if she's got some bodily process gone slightly awry, causing this? Very interesting.

You should leave the nest alone, though. Getting close enough to the nest to get photos like this, or observing it substantially in any way the parents can see, will stress the parents and may drive them away. Even if they don't outright leave, it can keep them off the nest for longer than is healthy for the eggs and babies, and it puts a lot of stress on them during a time when they're already pretty stressed in general. The only nests you want to look at up-close are ones that have long since been abandoned by their inhabitants.

Hi and welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group

Hi Yauga and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about. Please let us know the outcome - I'm quite intrigued!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back