• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Best european seawatching spots for (seawatching) beginner (1 Viewer)

Depending on where you live in Germany, the Cote d'Opal (close to Calais) is fairly close and supposed to be very nice especially during autumn migration. The Cap Gris Nez is the narrowest part of the channel and a lot of the migration comes by fairly close. I have watched there during Spring and got a few nice observations (mainly divers, terns and little gulls). I am currently in Western Ireland and Seawatching is surprisingly productive even in summer (lot's of Manx Shearwaters, a Sooty Shearwater, Artic Skua, Red-throated Diver, and of course Guillemots, Razorbill, Puffin, Fulmar, Gannet etc. + Dolphins as a bonus).

Hello David,

bad for "real" pelagics, but if you want to see migrating ducks, terns, gulls, waders and the occasional diver or skua at fairly close range, and if these locations are much nearer to your home than the top locations, then maybe try the narrow "tunnel" of the Strehlasund from Stahlbrode in late summer/autumn or Eckernförde? At least a good advice for a weekend trip?

Wow. Thanks for all the recommendations. Especially for pointing out to go somewhere where there are more experienced observers to learn from. Looks like I will go to Cornwell next year 😀

Even bearing all of this in mind, I would recommend Cornwall or the other similar options - if the German coast on the Baltic side for example, the observer could well die of old age before any true seabirds happen to pass by (an average full day in the eastern Baltic almost certainly will produce zero shearwaters and petrels, zero Gannets and Kittiwakes, an occasional skua if lucky and virtually nothing else. Maybe a few auks on a good day.

Heading to the better seawatching areas, indeed to the best, you will have umpteen seabirds passing - you can home your skills and learn from the closer birds and begin to get a feel of different species. Additionally, as mentioned by others, a good seawatching point will also likely have other observers who may shout stuff out that you can also then learn from.
That‘s a good sum up why I was asking about recommendations. I could stare at the sea for days on the German coast without seeing a true seabird. Still I will spend a long weekend on Wangerooge (one of the few German spots where you have a realistic chance if the weather is right) at the beginning of October hoping to get lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back