• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baltimore Oriole - Beak Size / Tongue Length (1 Viewer)

lhaney

Hello everyone,

I am new to birding and have a pretty specific question to ask:

What is the average size beak of the Baltimore Oriole, and also the tongue length? My question stems from seeing common orange Oriole feeders online that offer nectar, but generally the openings allow bees in also.. From what I've read they ultimately find their demise and most people avoid them, or avoid using nectar in general for Orioles.

Is there any study specifically on Orioles and the length of their tongues / beak penetration?

I am aware of the hyoid apparatus, and how the tongue wraps around the skull of most avian species. It was easier for me to find out this information on hummingbirds, but our other nectar feeding friends seem to pose a more difficult study.

Any info, or suggestions as to where to look would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back