• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Where premium quality meets exceptional value. ZEISS Conquest HDX.

Atlas listing (1 Viewer)

I saw c900 Golden Plovers whilst doing my timed Tetrad. As this sighting was outside of the 2 hour count it was entered as a single tick in the extra box. Can this Golden Plover count of 900 be entered on Birdtrack as well as the Atlas? Gareth

Thanks Jane, Do I have to remove the tick from extra column on the Timed Tetrad and then enter the Golden Plover 900 as a roving report? You can tell this is my first survey!

Gareth

I don't think it makes much difference. The atlas is only interested in whether a species was present or not - the only nos. that are taken into account are those counted during TTVs. The reason that there is an opportunity to put a count on to roving records is that it might be of interest to the county recorder.
Ken

Roving records during March?

Has anyone heard or read whether we are allowed to enter roving records during March? Just because there are no TTVs in March, I don't see why any evidence of breeding that we come across could not be recorded as a roving record.

Mike

Has anyone figured out an easy way of entering population estimates for a tetrad after all the species counts have been entered? I thought I'd go back and estimate the populations but, as far as I can see, you have to call up each species individually and then you only get the counts for your second winter visit. It would be so much easier if you could recall the original entry page and see the counts for both visits and all species. Our Surrey organiser wants everyone to do the estimated populations ourselves, but it will be a major operation to do it if you have to do it one species at a time.
Ken

In the end I just deleted all today's entries and started again. It made me realise that there is some value in doing the estimates yourself as you probably have a better 'feel' of the tetrad than some statistician sitting in BTO headquarters. For example, I didn't record a single collared dove during the TTV but I know that there are quite a lot in the tetrad.
BTW at one point, someone said that there was going to be a 'section' devoted to the BTO atlas... has anyone heard any more about that?
Ken

I returned to SD33R today, on the fringe of Blackpool and with the M55 running through it. I was very pleased to get a flock of Pinkfeet on the ground near Great Plumpton, and even happier to pick out a Barnacle Goose amongst them. Other highlights included Buzzards and a pair of Stonechats. A good day for fieldwork, it would have been nice to do another tetrad visit also.

Stephen.

I had a good second visit to TQ34R yesterday in lovely weather! I recorded 47 species, compared with only 29 on my early winter visit, including several 'firsts' for the year - siskin, stock dove, treecreeper, kestrel etc.

Ken

I just finished the first two late winter tetrads.

NZ29K on Fri 11/01/2008

Around Linton Ponds we had 4 Mute Swan, 1 Canada Geese, 5 Wigeon, 6 Gadwall, 60 Teal, 3 Mallard, 10 Shoveler, 16 Pochard, 13 Tufted Duck and 1 Goldeneye. There were 16 Black-headed Gull, 400 Herring Gull and 30 Great Black-backed Gull. There were also 23 coot but only 5 moorhen.

My wife saw a kingfisher flying away from us across the pond but I missed that as I was counting teal at the time! I think I need to engage my feminine side so I can multitask, and observe kingfishers at the same time as counting Teal. 8-P

Apart from the usual thrushes, tits and corvids, there was also a nice flock of 10 siskins in a conifer plantation and a reed bunting as we came back through the alder carr. We also had 10 Pink-footed Geese fly over us at one stage. This went in as a Roving Record rather than an extra so I could record the count.

NZ29Q on Sun 13/01/2008

In the villages of Ellington and Linton, we found 80+ jackdaws plus other corvids. The highlights of the walk across the fields were a Kestrel hovering and later swooping low over the path, a Heron rising from the River Lyne, a pair of Goldfinches , 3 Bullfinches and a small flock of 10 redwing. The woods produced Treecreeper, Great Spotted Woodpecker and Goldcrest.

Mike:t:

Server upgrade for Birdtrack and Atlas

BTO Birdtrack home page said:
Website response times (11 January 2008)
Due to the success of the BTO’s online data gathering projects our servers are currently subject to exceptionally heavy use, with peak activity in the early evenings. We apologise that this is sometimes causing very slow response times, and very occasionally generating error pages. We are in the process of commissioning a more powerful server but this may not be in place until late January. In the meantime we would be very grateful if you would use the system at the less busy times of day (i.e. mornings) where possible. Thank you for supporting the BTO’s online ssurveys and please accept our apologies for any inconvenience.
It looks as though slow response times on the Birdtrack and Atlas web sites has been noted by the BTO and they are going to fix it. Roll on late January.

Well done BTO.B :)

results for TQ34R 12Jan08

I don't know whether this will work but these are my counts for
Page no/species/first hour/second hour/ population estimate...
1 Mute Swan - - 2
1 Greater Canada Goose - 2 2
1 Teal - - 2
1 Mallard 27 - 30
1 Pheasant - - 4
1 Little Grebe - - 2
2 Grey Heron 11 - 12
2 Sparrowhawk - 2 4
2 Buzzard - 1 2
2 Kestrel - 1 4
2 Moorhen 8 - 15
2 Black-headed Gull 160 - 200
2 Common Gull 32 - 40
3 Stock Dove 2 - 4
3 Woodpigeon 25 21 400
3 Collared Dove - - 20
3 Little Owl - 1 6
3 Green Woodpecker 1 1 4
3 Great Spotted Woodpecker 2 1 10
3 Grey Wagtail - 1 2
3 Pied/White Wagtail 2 - 4
3 Wren - 1 10
3 Dunnock 1 - 20
3 Robin 3 10 40
3 Stonechat 1 - 1
3 Blackbird 3 5 30
3 Fieldfare 23 - 50
3 Song Thrush 1 2 10
3 Redwing 20 - 40
3 Mistle Thrush 2 2 10
3 Goldcrest 3 - 20
3 Long-tailed Tit 2 2 20
3 Coal Tit - 1 2
3 Blue Tit 6 17 60
4 Great Tit 14 8 50
4 Nuthatch 1 5 20
4 Treecreeper - 1 20
4 Jay 2 2 20
4 Magpie 9 10 40
4 Jackdaw 61 10 120
4 Carrion Crow 17 4 40
4 Starling 36 2 100
4 House Sparrow - 2 60
4 Chaffinch 2 - 20
4 Goldfinch 2 - 20
4 Siskin - 15 30
4 Bullfinch 2 1 10

It's interesting to compare with Mike's species list.

Last edited:
Hi Ken

The Tetrad Population Estimates can be entered on either the first visit or second visit. If you enter estimates on the first visit then they will be presented back to you when you enter the second visit and you can edit them if you wish.

The idea of the Tetrad Population Estimates comes from the Catalan Atlas where they were used quite successfully. It's a new approach for us. It's important to remember they are just another source of information on population size. Of course the Breeding Bird Survey will give good info on common species in the breeding season, but in the winter we are lacking good info on population size for a lot of species.

Cheers
Dawn Balmer
BTO

Thanks, Dawn. My problem was that I'd closed the page before submitting the population estimates... but at least it's done now. The survey is great fun, by the way, thanks for organising it (not that it was done for my amusement, I realise!).
Ken

I don't know whether this will work but these are my counts for
Page no/species/first hour/second hour/ population estimate...
1 Mute Swan - - 2
1 Greater Canada Goose - 2 2

It's interesting to compare with Mike's species list.

HI Ken,

Nice list, you've got some good habitats. I tried copying from the Atlas site and pasting into a post but it shuffles everything along if there is a blank field. Did you put in the dashes by hand or is there a smart way to get there?

It's a pity the forum software does not cope well with formatted or tabulated data.8-P

It would have been interesting to have early and late visits on one line but I could not copy that from the Atlas screen. Both sets of data only appears during data entry for the late visit but highlighting does not select the late visit data. Pity.

Keep up the good work.

Hi, Mike, I put the - s in by hand... it didn't take long.
Of course, just copying the species list is much easier.
For an inland tetrad, with ponds rather than lakes, TQ34R is not bad. I'm still looking for a few obvious birds - snipe and lapwing should surely appear at some point. Last winter I had a bit of a 'run' with shelduck, wigeon, little egret etc appearing in quick succession but so far they are all staying away for the atlas. Still it's hope that keeps us going! (As I have probably already said, I live in this tetrad so it gets watched pretty intensively. I even had a waxwing a couple of winters ago.) The best birds today were a reed bunting and a sparrowhawk both taking advantage of my garden bird table - in different ways!
I don't know whether the BTO will ever reveal, but it would be fascinating to see where the most species-rich tetrads turn out to be eventually. Obviously coastal ones will tend to fare well, especially if they have good inland habitat close by. Some of those round Minsmere might come out on top - at least, that would be my guess.
Ken

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back