Alternative names: Sulawesi White-eye; Celebes White-eye; Peninsular White-eye; Laoumera White-eye; Pale-Bellied White-Eye; Kendari White-eye
- Zosterops consobrinorum
11.5 - 12cm.
- Olive-green upperparts
- Narrow white eye-ring, broken at front by blackish spot
- Blackish lores and streak under eye
- Blackish remiges fringed olive-green, blackish rectrices
- Golden-yellow chin, throat, upper breast and undertail-coverts
- White rest of underparts, more greyish on flanks and lower breast
- Black bill with grey base of lower mandible
Sexes similar. Juveniles undescribed.
Smaller than Warbling White-eye and with much brighter yellow throat and undertail-coverts.
This is a monotypic species1.
Probably closely related to Ashy-bellied White-eye or even conspecific. Birds from Butung Island differ in appearance and voice and most likely represent an undescribed subspecies.
Found in a variety of habitats: lowland forest, scrub, cultivation, forest edge, forestry plantations, gardens and locally around villages.
Occurs from sea-level up to 300m.
Seems to replace Lemon-bellied White-eye which is absent in most of south-east Sulawesi.
Usually seen in pairs or small groups, sometimes in mixed-species flocks.
Diet unknown. Forages in understorey and thickets along forest edge, also in the canopy of tall trees.
One nest was found in early August. It was an untidy cup made of grasses and placed low in a bush. Adults were observed feeding juveniles in October. No other information.
No known movements.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, B.L. Sullivan, C. L. Wood, and D. Roberson. 2012. The eBird/Clements Checklist of Birds of the World. 6th ed., with updates to October 2012. Ithaca: Cornell Univ. Press. ISBN 978-0801445019. Spreadsheet available at http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/downloadable-clements-checklist
- Del Hoyo, J, A Elliott, and D Christie, eds. 2008. Handbook of the Birds of the World. Volume 13: Penduline-tits to Shrikes. Barcelona: Lynx Edicions. ISBN 978-8496553453
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2023) Pale-bellied White-eye. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 4 December 2023 from https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Pale-bellied_White-eye