- Spatula platalea
45–56 cm (17¾-22 in); A large bill
- Cinnamon overall plumage
- Spots on the breast and flanks
- Plain greyish-brown head and neck
- White eye
- Plain face
- Dark eye
Wetlands, lakes, lagoons and estuaries. They have a preference for brackish water.
Their diet consists of seeds and aquatic plants and invertebrates.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, D. Roberson, T. A. Fredericks, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2018. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: v2018. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Handbook of the Birds of the World Alive (retrieved March 2016)
- Arthur Grosset
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2023) Red Shoveler. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 4 December 2023 from https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Red_Shoveler
GSearch checked for 2020 platform.1