- Hypothymis puella
- Pale blue head, chest, back and tail
- Wings are a darker blue
- Thin black throat band obsure or missing
- Greyish-blue lower belly
- Lacks black markings
- Grey-brown back, breast, wings and tail
Differs from Black-naped Monarch in lacking black nuchal tuft, obscure or absent breastband and greyish-blue belly.
Formerly included in Black-naped Monarch.
Two subspecies recognized:
- H. p. puella on Sulawesi and adjacent islands
- H. p. blasii on Banggai and Sula islands
Disturbed mixed deciduous forest, forest edge and second growth, with thick undergrowth, at heights up to 1,500m.
A small cup nest is built from fine grasses and moss, placed in a tree. The clutch consists of 3 eggs.
The diet includes insects.
Song: Hui-hui-hui or pwee-pwee-pwee.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, B.L. Sullivan, C. L. Wood, and D. Roberson. 2013. The eBird/Clements checklist of birds of the world: Version 6.8., with updates to August 2013. Downloaded from http://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Gill, F and D Donsker (Eds). 2013. IOC World Bird Names (version 3.5). Available at http://www.worldbirdnames.org/.
- Del Hoyo, J, A Elliot, and D Christie, eds. 2006. Handbook of the Birds of the World. Volume 11: Old World Flycatchers to Old World Warblers. Barcelona: Lynx Edicions. ISBN 978-8496553064
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2023) Pale-blue Monarch. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 30 November 2023 from https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Pale-blue_Monarch