|This article is incomplete.
This article is missing one or more sections. You can help the BirdForum Opus by expanding it.
- Columba vitiensis
Alternative name(s): White-throated Pigeon
- crown purple and green
- wing and uppertail coverts black
- iris yellowish red
- bill yellow
- orbital skin red
- chin and ear coverts white or grey (subspecies dependent)
- feet purple
Sexes are similar. Immatures are duller than adults.
Some authorities restrict "Metallic Pigeon" to subspecies metallica (i.e. C. metallica), placing others (at least griseogularis and halmaheira ) into "White-throated Pigeon", C. vitiensis. Reference  regards the differences as minor, suggesting that the plumage of griseogularis is transitional between the forms.
Clements recognises the following subspecies :
- C. v. griseogularis: Philippines, Sulu Archipelago and islands off northern Borneo
- C. v. anthracina: Palawan and adjacent islands (Calauit, Comiran, and Lambucan), Philippines
- C. v. metallica: Lesser Sundas
- C. v. halmaheira: Banggai, Sula islands, Kai, Moluccas to New Guinea and Solomons
- C. v. leopoldi: Vanuatu
- C. v. hypoenochroa: New Caledonia, Isle of Pines and Loyalty Islands
- C. v. vitiensis: Fiji Islands
- C. v. castaneiceps: Western Samoa (Savai'i, Apolima, Manono and Upolu)
The diet includes fruits, grains, seeds and berries.
Lays 1-2 eggs.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, T. A. Fredericks, J. A. Gerbracht, D. Lepage, S. M. Billerman, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2022. The eBird/Clements checklist of Birds of the World: v2022. Downloaded from https://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Eaton, JA, B van Balen, NW Brickle, FE Rheindt 2021. Birds of the Indonesian Archipelago (Greater Sundas and Wallacea), Second Edition. Lynx Editions. ISBN978-84-16728-44-2