- Pachycephala griseonota
Includes: Cinnamon-breasted Whistler or Obi Whistler
14 - 15.5cm (5½-6 in).
- crown, forehead and side of head sooty grey
- upperparts greyish-brown
- upperwing and tail dusky grey-brown
- chin and throat off-white
- breast greyish-ochre
- belly rusty ochre
- bill black
Females are similar but more uniformely coloured. Immature similar to female.
Found on several islands of the Moluccas, Indonesia. Common on some, uncommon on other islands.
Subspecies johni is sometimes treated as full species, "Cinnamon-breasted Whistler" or "Obi Whistler" (P. johni).
Clements recognises the following subspecies :
- P. g. cinerascens: Tidore, Ternate, Halmahera, Bacan and Morotai. [has a browner back than lineolata, a darker breast and a white belly with a slight tinge of ochre]
- P. g. lineolata: Banggai Islands (Peleng) and Sula Islands (Taliabu, Seho and Sanana). [similar to kuehni but the back is greyer, the breast grey and the belly white]
- P. g. johni: "Cinnamon-breasted Whistler" or "Obi Whistler". Obi. [olive-brown upperparts and uniform rusty cinnamon underparts]
- P. g. examinata: Buru. [Upperparts dark grey, throat white, under parts pale buff]
- P. g. griseonota: Seram
- P. g. kuehni on Kai Islands (Kai Besar, Tual, Kai Kecil). [similar to griseonota but has a tinged grey throat a duller grey-brown breast and a paler buffy ochre belly]
Lowland moist forests. Avoids mangroves. Occurs on some islands only in lowlands, on others like Seram up to 1100m.
Feeds on insects. Sometimes in mixed-species flocks.
Juveniles recorded in September. No other information about breeding.
- Clements, J. F., T. S. Schulenberg, M. J. Iliff, S. M. Billerman, T. A. Fredericks, J. A. Gerbracht, D. Lepage, B. L. Sullivan, and C. L. Wood. 2021. The eBird/Clements checklist of Birds of the World: v2021. Downloaded from https://www.birds.cornell.edu/clementschecklist/download/
- Del Hoyo, J, A Elliott, and D Christie, eds. 2007. Handbook of the Birds of the World. Volume 12: Picathartes to Tits and Chickadees. Barcelona: Lynx Edicions. ISBN 978-8496553422
- BirdForum Opus contributors. (2023) Drab Whistler. In: BirdForum, the forum for wild birds and birding. Retrieved 30 November 2023 from https://www.birdforum.net/opus/Drab_Whistler