• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen Ray ZRS HD (1 Viewer)

I would be interested in hearing further comments of yours either about the ZRS or if you decide to upgrade to the Zen EDs.

Shall do Frank. Since they've gotten such rave reviews all over the place, I'm going the extra mile on them thinking it might be me and what I've been used to. What is it they say about when you think everybody else is crazy but you're quite sane?

:)

I know the phrase. Still, it could also be that your expectations of the bins and their performance just don't match. It wouldn't be the first time...for myself as well.

Hi, everyone. I ordered a pair of 8x42 ZRS HD's due to the reviews on this thread. I'm a beginning birder and needed something smaller than my Celestron 10x50's I use for astronomy.

The binocular arrived today, and I have one question so far...how do I make the objective lens caps fit tighter? They fall out VERY easily.

E-mail Zen Ray, explain the problem and they will probably send you some others. I had just the opposite problem with mine. Not much you can do on your own I think.

Michelle, I have the same problem with my 10x, it's because the armoring protrudes too far beyond the metal barrels.

After a good long trial, I've decided to rate mine as decent bins FOR THE MONEY. No better, no worse. I don't know just what the problem is, but they simply refuse to get that last bit of focus.

Rather than fight them or mess with returning them for another pair or opting for an upgrade to ED's, I'll keep them until I can afford some Alpha's and then have them as a backup.

As Frank said, I think it's just that the bins and my expectations just don't jibe.

Thanks, guys. Zen-Ray is sending a "cup" for the objective lens (it goes on the outside of the barrel) instead of the kind you insert. We'll see how they work.

After using the new objective lens covers for a few days, I think I do like them better than the originals, but they aren't perfect, either. The entire thing likes to fall off at times when they are hanging around my neck (getting caught on clothing or hands). Still, they do seem to stay on when I want them to.

One other thing about the ZRS, when I lay the bins flat on a table the "ZR" of the tripod adapter cover is upside down. May be a small thing, but it drives me crazy.

Have you tried laying the binoculars upside down? That should fix it. ;)

After using the new objective lens covers for a few days, I think I do like them better than the originals, but they aren't perfect, either. The entire thing likes to fall off at times when they are hanging around my neck (getting caught on clothing or hands). Still, they do seem to stay on when I want them to.

One other thing about the ZRS, when I lay the bins flat on a table the "ZR" of the tripod adapter cover is upside down. May be a small thing, but it drives me crazy.

Zen Ray Summit 10x42

The eye lens is only 2.2mm below the outer edge of the eyecups with the eye cups down. This is approaching the danger zone for eyeglasses wearers, being very close to allow eyeglasses to come in contact with the binocular eye lens. Although I will note, my eyeglasses did not contact the eye lens with the eye cup fully retracted.

Viewing with my eyeglasses on, I need to extend the eyecups out one click for proper placement. That would indicate an eye relief of about 15-16mm, since in almost all cases I can see the full field of view in any binocular with my glasses and with a minimum of about 13mm usable eye relief.

I read some comments that these are fast focus. I thought also I read some comments that these are slow focus. Well both may be right and both may be wrong.

From closest focus (about 6ft) to 30M (100ft) focus is very slow, requiring more than 360° turn of the focus wheel.

From 30m to 100m, focus is very fast, requiring less than 45° turn of the focus wheel.

What's with the focus lock on the right diopter? I've used more than 70 binoculars and have never needed a focus lock on any diopter. It would be nice to have on the main center wheel, but that's not where they put it. Not sure what they were thinking here, but I consider this function superfluous.

Didn't measure IPD, but it is quite a wide range, and does get fairly narrow.

Loupe/ruler test seems to show full aperture.

Didn't yet measure resolution, but these come to a very fine focus. Resolution on 10mm lettering at 100 feet showed clear and sharp edged letters. All indications seem to point that these will achieve fine resolution when tested on USAF charts.

No problems at all with rubber armour or front objective stick in caps. yes rubber armour sticks out front a bit. Seems to be by design, so it can capture the lens caps in the front ridges. I couldn't shake the front lens caps loose no matter how hard I tried.

Yes, the ZR on the eyepiece straps cap is sideways. Just not a big deal for me. But, if it bothers you, since the orientation of this cap would be controlled by the depth that it screws into the bracket hole, just add a tiny thin washer and that plastic cap screw will turn in slightly less and maybe you'll get an upright ZR.

edz

The 10x42 must have better fitting caps for some reason. One of my caps falls out when just lifting them off the table. And, if your ZR is sideways, and mine is upside down, it makes me think they just don't pay close attention to detail when installing the bracket threads. NOT the end of the world, just something I notice all the time now that it caught my attention. These are both things that do not affect the performance of the binocular...just a couple things that could be easily fixed on the next model.

You can also use a rubber washer or o-ring under the adapter too.

This is a sub $200 binocular. There is other details that require attention first. If this cost twice as much maybe. Personally I don't know how the badge on the tripod adapter lines up on any of my binoculars. Never have even thought to look ;).

Well, I guess it's just me. :( I don't care if they cost $25.00...it's an easy thing to QC. Two more seconds on the assembly line wouldn't kill anyone, IMO. Again, though, it's not the end of the world...and I do like the binoculars for the most part.

Zen Ray Summit 10x42

The eye lens is only 2.2mm below the outer edge of the eyecups with the eye cups down. This is approaching the danger zone for eyeglasses wearers, being very close to allow eyeglasses to come in contact with the binocular eye lens. Although I will note, my eyeglasses did not contact the eye lens with the eye cup fully retracted.

Ed, what distance do you like to see?

Have you see a glasses scratch from a 2mm eyecup to ocular gap?

I've not measured them by some of my Zeiss (8x30 Conquest and 8x40 Victory both seem about this close too).

I have seen eyepiece with less than 3mm depth from eyeguard come in contact with the frontmost curvature of eyeglasses. The advantage here with the ZRS is the need (at least for me) to turn the eyecup out one notch for use with glasses.

I have rejected some binoculars for reason of insufficient depth to eyelens below edge of eyeguard. Less than 3mm needs attention. It is very much dependant on the curvature of your eyeglasses combined in conjunction with the width of the binocular eyelens. In addition to the depth to eyelens, it is important to note the potential for any exposed metal ring around the eyelens to contact eyeglasses. Some binocuars eyeguard rubber covers such metal rings. The ZRS has an exposed metal ring.

My review of various details and aspects of the ZRS 10x42 is on the Cloudy Nights binocular forum.

edz

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back