• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen Ray ZRS HD (2 Viewers)

I don't mind stray light issues as much as Kevin so that non-ED Elite has me a bit intrigued. I need to find them on Ebay and put a bid in on one of them.

IIRC, this wasn't me just being picky. It was quite bad in fairly ordinary light ;)

I have some bins that really don't work well with stray light that I still like a lot: Conquest 8x30 and Leupold Yosemite come to mind .. that later falls over more than the former but it's lightweight, sharp and convenient.

Still a second opinion is always good ...

Looks like the specifications at Hunt-Washington and Zen Ray Stores are the same. My 8x43 ZEN ED (17mm) and ZRS 10x42 (15mm) match Zen Ray specs.

OK, second impression time. I still think these are the best $200 binocular I have looked through. I do think maybe my 8x is just a tad bit better specimen than the 10x, but neither can be faulted too badly.

Steve - I am blown away by the Zen 8 x 43 ED but I am thinking of adding a knock around 10x for the car and would rather spend $180 vs. $370. It sounds like the 10 x 42 Zen Summit is the weak sister of the bunch. Any thoughts on whether I would be happy with the Zen Summit or whether I should dig deeper for the 10x Zen ED? Thanks.

chartwell99;1477863 Steve - I am blown away by the Zen 8 x 43 ED but I am thinking of adding a knock around 10x for the car and would rather spend $180 vs. $370. It sounds like the 10 x 42 Zen Summit is the weak sister of the bunch. Any thoughts on whether I would be happy with the Zen Summit or whether I should dig deeper for the 10x Zen ED? Thanks.[/QUOTE said:
The ZRS is a pretty decent binocular. It will differ noticeably from the ZEN ED in a noticeably smaller field and the image has a definite reddish to brownish color bias. It does not bother me, but it is there, and does not seem to interefere with the colors. The focus is faster than the ZEN ED, about 1.5 turns and works the opposite direction.

I'd say try it. There is a 30 day return policy.

I still think mine are the equivalent of my Viper. Recently my nephew had a birthday. I decided to give him the 10x42 ZRS or the 10x42 Viper. Now this kid (21 yrs old) has the sharpest eyes of any person I've seen. He took both binoculars for a couple of days and chose the ZRS. His comment when I asked about the choice was a simple "I can just see stuff better with these". So I still have the Viper, and I still think the ZRS is just about the best sub $200 binocular that I have sen.

The ZRS is an unusal binocular in my opinion. From my limited experience with it I noticed the red/brown bias. Initially I thought it interferred with my ability to see fine details. It doesn't. I do seem to have to look a bit harder to see them but they are still there. It doesn't seem to be a true resolution issue but rather just a perceptual issue from my perspective.

I am going to give another one a try to see if my initial impressions were correct.

Now if they came up with a nice 400 foot 8x32......

;)

I still think mine are the equivalent of my Viper. Recently my nephew had a birthday. I decided to give him the 10x42 ZRS or the 10x42 Viper. Now this kid (21 yrs old) has the sharpest eyes of any person I've seen. He took both binoculars for a couple of days and chose the ZRS. His comment when I asked about the choice was a simple "I can just see stuff better with these". So I still have the Viper, and I still think the ZRS is just about the best sub $200 binocular that I have sen.

Steve's comments are spot on. For $176 and a liberal return policy, it was impossible to pass up the ZRS (mine is a 10 x 42), and I am astounded at the value. My Zen Ray 8 x 43 ED is optically superior the ZRS (and likely every other binocular selling for less than $1200) but the ZRS is easily the equal, both for optics and build quality, of the Viper. At least for my hands and eyes, the ZRS balances well, feeling lighter than its actual weight, and offers an easy and pleasing view. Interestingly, the ZRS-supplied strap is the correct length and actually useful (unlike its bandolero length ED cousin). The Viper's accessories (heavy duty neoprene strap and high grade cordura case) are noticeably nicer than the ZRS counterparts, but all the ZRS stuff is functional and do not detract from the genuine pleasure of using the binocular. I much appreciate the comments and encouragement of this thread and am much pleased that I took the plunge.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the update. I have to agree that for the $180 that the ZRS are selling for they are truly tough to beat. They easily beat binoculars at their current price point and several hundred dollars more.

Not so fast....

Well, as a result of the glowing tributes here as well as other very positive reviews elsewhere I ordered a pair of 10x42 ZRS. I expected to be gobsmacked by $200 bins that were so close to Leicas or Zeiss' that my search for great birding bins would be over as well as relatively painle$$.

I have had said glasses for two weeks now and have used them a lot. Unlike the near euphoria experienced by others, I am not unduly impressed. Here's my take.

I have a pair of thirty-year-old 6X30 Pentax porros which are sharp as a razor, flat field, color neutral, infinite depth of field beyond twenty yards, but are not close focusing nor powerful enough for birding. These are my personal benchmark against which I'm judging the ZenRays.

ZRS HD 10X42:

Full resolution and really sharp focus just aren't happening. Just can't get there, try as I might. Nice and bright, good field, but that last bit of sharpness won't come. Never get the sense that the right barrel is working with the left properly. Great locking diopter though.

Some of that cheapo off-shore binocular "head swim" so much a part of inexpensive bins is part of my ZRS experience. Not pleasant. Have seen much worse, but was not expecting ANY with these.

I find the depth of field incredibly short, a fact that contributes to the discomfort I have trying to pic a bird out of the foliage.

Somebody said 85% sweet spot. Not mine. I get 60% at best.

The objective lens caps are a joke. The armoring is some sort of slip-on sock or something over the barrels, and this is loose and protruding beyond the lens.:C This protrusion prohibits the seating of the covers on the inside of the barrels.

The strap needs a serious upgrade.

So, good but certainly not great. Typical low-middle level bins. Don't want to rain on anybody's parade, just a word to the wise if you are going to buy them thru the mail without a look-see first.

Cheers.

I sent my first pair back to ZR and the second pair are better, so QC may be part of the issue. That said, I've looked through a number of pairs of binoculars costing between the approx. $200 price of the ZRS up to near $1K and I'm still happy w/the ZRS. Not quite as good as the more expensive models, but better than many costing twice as much (Vortex Fury 8x and 10x and Katmai 8x, for example). There is also no problem with the armoring on mine and the caps work fine. Did you order directly from ZR? My experience, as others here, certainly seems very different, and I've spent time with almost everything stocked in three big optics departments over the last two months.

As for comparing them to porros, decent porro designs avoid some of the issues that need to be overcome to make a good roof-prism binocular, so that's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison.

Last edited:
Longbow,

I cannot really fault any of your observations for several reasons.

1) I have never tried the 10x ZRS
2) The 8x certainly performed better than the typical $300 roofs (even though they are only $200) but I would not say that they are the equal of the $1000+ roofs.

The reddish/orange color bias was probably the biggest drawback for me. To my eyes it took away from the apparent sharpness and brightness of the bin. CA was well controlled though.

If you truly want an impressive experience then I would respectfully suggest trying the 10x42 Zen ED. It will perform at 5x its price.

Thanks guys. I did buy them direct from Zen, their service was great, got them in four days.

If it is a QC issue, hopefully they'll get on it.

I take your point about the roofs vs porros, but if porros are inherently easier to build well, I wonder why Zen would not go this route if their goal is superior performance at a low price?

I owned a pair of Zeiss roofs for a while about fifteen years ago which I sold because at the time I was using them for hunting and general viewing and I found that the Pentax glasses were better for that use because of the long field of view and the farther distances and bigger targets.

I was sort of thinking that I would save my $ and buy Zeiss or Trinovids next year after tax refund. But, Frank, I'm wondering if your recommendation on the ED's implies that they would be as good as the German bins?

In any event, as I become increasingly beguiled by birding I will get by fine with these in the short term, if a bit frustrated. Sure is nice to have the power and close focusing.

I was sort of thinking that I would save my $ and buy Zeiss or Trinovids next year after tax refund. But, Frank, I'm wondering if your recommendation on the ED's implies that they would be as good as the German bins?

I am not stirring that pot again.... ;)

Do a little forum search and read some of the past threads comparing the Zen EDs to the Zeiss, Leica and Swaro models. You will see people that have owned and/or own both make some very interesting comparisons.

You do still have that 30 day return policy on the ZRS. What could it hurt to exchange them for a pair of the Zen EDs? I am not sure what the price difference looks like up in Canada but in the states we would be talking about another $180 or so.

Just a thought.

Longbow: You can email Zen-Ray, explain the problems, and either try another ZRS or upgrade to the Zen ED. Either way, if you don't like the second pair you would still be inside the return period window, then you could look for something else. There are other good options out there, just not quite at ZR's prices.

Thanks Gents, I will cogitate on the matter and in the meantime search around here and do some more reading. I'm thinking I may well keep these for the truck so I won't get caught with my pants down.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back