• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nottinghamshire Birding (1 Viewer)

hi.. im spending the weekend in the Clumber/Rufford area and was wondering if there were any Nightingale areas that were worth while trying.. to listen.. i know its late but if you dont ask....

In case you dont get a suggestion Whisby near Lincoln has several birds but haven't been down for a couple of weeks so don't know if thet are still singing. Early morning though can provide sightings Try near the railway crossing and then left at the back of Coot Lake.

Hugh

Heard a couple in Notts, Budby and Annesley, but on the whole it seems to be about the same numbers to me.

Sam

ok. it might just be that i heard 0 in 2010 and only on one occasion last year! can't be everywhere at once i guess! i've heard them twice near woodborough, several round besthorpe, clifton grove, holme pierrepont and the lake district.

BTW - any info on the marsh warbler? apparently reported on birdguides today?

whats the craic with the long tailed duck at idle? how long a walk is required? im travelling with a incapacitated walker at present? thanx

Have a look at this map: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=1675950c0543bd79&resid=1675950C0543BD79!246&id=1675950C0543BD79!246

Your best bet is to drive down Chainbridge Lane to the end, across the bridge and turn left, driving alongside the River Idle (the white track on the map). When you reach the little wood on your right park up and walk across the footbridge. The pit should be the one on your left. This is the shortest route, but is still about 1/2 mile to the top viewpoint (the best for viewing I think). The other option is to park on Chainbridge Lane, walk up Hawthorn Lane, and turn right and then immediately left. The first viewpoint is on your right just through the gate, while the other one is a bit further on (I gather that this is where the bird is best viewed from). Believe the bird has been favouring the NE corner. Sightings for the reserve can be found here: http://www.loundbirdclub.com/recentbirdsightings.htm . Haven't yet got round to going so let us know how you get on! :t:

Sam

must be quiet in notts, no posts for a while!!! i've not been out a great deal but did have a turtle dove and several yellow wags and juveniles at besthorpe the other day. apparently there's been some med gulls there but i couldnt locate any.

Black-winged Stilt
There were two birds at 1pm at Cottam and were then seen to fly towards the Trent. There's been no further sign, but they're being looked for. Complicated by the restricted access at this site. Hopefully they will be relocated in an unequivocally public area.(andy hall)

Hello,

I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Dan & I'm moving to Southwell this weekend (from Norfolk). I'm hoping to spend a fair amount of time birding the Greet & Trent valleys, hopefully logging visible migration. I'm also hoping to improve my knowledge of larids at Hoveringham.
I grew up on the Notts/Yorks border & many of my early birding memories are of places such as Lound, Daneshill & Gringley carr.

If there are any other local birders in this area, I'd love to hear of any gen regarding species/underwatched sites, & I hope I can contribute positively to this thread.

Hi Daniel,

Oxton Dumble on the main road between Southwell and Oxton probably counts as underwatched. It's pretty much just a lay-by with views over farmland, but I believe it's had some good birds in the past. Due to the elevation, it's probably a good vis. mig. spot if you don't mind being on the main road.

Can anyone else comment on this spot?

Hi Ben,

Thanks for that, I'll be sure to give it a try this autumn. I was also thinking of trying along the Hockerton Road, as you can have decent views to the south & into the trent valley. I'd be interested to hear about any species recorded in this general area.

All the best

Hi Daniel,

Oxton Dumble on the main road between Southwell and Oxton probably counts as underwatched. It's pretty much just a lay-by with views over farmland, but I believe it's had some good birds in the past. Due to the elevation, it's probably a good vis. mig. spot if you don't mind being on the main road.

Can anyone else comment on this spot?

ive had R L buzzard and bramlings here

Heard only. Presumably the torrential rain was a bit of a hindrance in seeing it! Hope it's still there tomorrow; well and truly my bogey bird!

Sam

decided against the YB warbler seeing as it didn't pop up again. tried for the a52 pit slav grebe this morning about 1030 and no joy but it came up on birdguides at 1120!!! is it being seen from the viewpoint next to the pig farm or is there a better place to view from? apparently its on the east end of the pit but i couldn't find a decent place to view from! argh!

going to try tomorrow!

also BN grebe at attenborough today, i decided to go over the river at clifton though to see if there were any chats or wheatear, but none, however some nice flocks of siskin and linnet as well as a green sand

decided against the YB warbler seeing as it didn't pop up again. tried for the a52 pit slav grebe this morning about 1030 and no joy but it came up on birdguides at 1120!!! is it being seen from the viewpoint next to the pig farm or is there a better place to view from? apparently its on the east end of the pit but i couldn't find a decent place to view from! argh!

going to try tomorrow!

also BN grebe at attenborough today, i decided to go over the river at clifton though to see if there were any chats or wheatear, but none, however some nice flocks of siskin and linnet as well as a green sand

The east end is partially viewable from Blott's. Any more gen on the Attenboro' Black-necked mate?!

Cheers, Sam

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back