• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nottinghamshire Birding (1 Viewer)

James

Which TV was that, the large one near the boot, or the one next to the pram?!!

The amount of junk in the "marsh" area of KMR is getting a bit ridiculous. I mentioned it to the Water Bailiffe a couple of weeks ago and she was going to arrange for some of it to be removed.

The last time i saw the Egyptian Geese, they were harrasing the Common Terns and "commandeering" thier raft, which i was a bit worried about. I wouldn't have wanted them shot though.

Whilst i'm on the subject of shooting - can anyone clarify the law with shooting pigeons? I've always thought that a, it was against the law to shoot on a Sunday, and b, shooting was only permitted at least 50 meters from a public highway. For several weeks now, there has been a young chap shooting pigeons from a den in the hedge between the set aside field and the arable (rape) field at Kingsmill - usually on Sundays. He claims he has permission from the landowner and sets dead birds as a decoy. Often, he is less than 20 meters from the main road. (Although watching him, he does not seem to be a very good shot - i've not seen him hit one yet (thankfully), but surely this activity cannot be right so close to a popular public amenity site).

PS James - did you see all the young Long-tailed Tits? Smashing aren't they?

Mike

Nah, the girlfriend was complaining of the cold and wanting home, and I couldn't really blame her. Never mind, off to Wales next week via the Cheshire stilts, there's hope for at least one cute baby bird left alive there.

All the rubbish in the SW corner must have made for a great introduction to the res for all those folks who came during the wildlife day the other weekend. Jesos!

Hi Matt, odd that the Notts thread doesn't get more action isn't it? Come on, there's a flaming Penduline Tit in the county!

Personally I'm spending most of my time in Derbyshire these days, but to make this post relevant... had 50 Pinkies go over Sutton-in-Ashfield today, bang on time too, about 10:40, presumably after a morning departure from somewhere like Martin Mere.

Also had news of a Barn Owl wintering at a certain LNR in Ashfield not previously much noted from the species, who knows, could be one of the Kings Mill offspring. That's going to be something to I'll be checking out over the next week.

I'm pretty much Bestwood Country Park only, so there's not much to shout about of county interest, except the Waxwings that I've been blabbing about on Notts Bird News.

Cheers

James- I know on my location it says Doncaster but I am a Notts birder. I some times think that its not a bad thing that this forum is under used, some folks seem to spend more effort on the computer than on birds. Do Notts birders spend more time out in the field than "surfing"

I think it now looks like there "was" a Penduline Tit in the county. It may sound mean- but never mind I saw it thats all that matters! lol

James- I know on my location it says Doncaster but I am a Notts birder. I some times think that its not a bad thing that this forum is under used, some folks seem to spend more effort on the computer than on birds. Do Notts birders spend more time out in the field than "surfing"

I think it now looks like there "was" a Penduline Tit in the county. It may sound mean- but never mind I saw it thats all that matters! lol

Yep, too right! I'm just glad it's gone so that the lazy casual so called birders couldnt connect with it. I've heard too much complaining recently from birders stating that certain birds didnt linger long enough to connect with them. If you want to see a certain species enough then, in my opinion, you go straight away and f**k the consequences!

Does anyone know if there's a winter, weekend bus service from Worksop to Clumber Park? I'm thinking of a trip soon to hunt down the hawfinches, but I'm reliant on public transport from Sheffield. I can get to Worksop easily, but all the buses to Clumber park I can find seem to be summer only...

Does anyone know if there's a winter, weekend bus service from Worksop to Clumber Park?
Hi Pete,

I've never done it myself, but the Stagecoach website says this timetable is valid from 4th Nov 2008:

http://www.stagecoachbus.com/timetables/33SHERWOODARROW.pdf

This doesn't say whether the bus stops at Carburton (for Clumber), but this (older?) timetable I found does:

http://www.stagecoachbus.com/timetables/WORKSOP33.pdf

However, the "sherwood Arrow" timetable on the council website suggests it does stop here:

http://www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/timetable-j.htm

I guess you'll have to call up to be sure. Some extra info on the Notts Birders' Site:

http://www.nottmbirds.org.uk/sites/ClumberPark.html

If you can't get to Clumber, but can find transport to Rufford CP, I think it's as reliable as Clumber these days.

Good luck.

Cheers for the info, Ben.

If all else fails, it looks like Clumber's only an hour or so's walk from Worksop so may do that.

...or...

If it's a Saturday or Sunday, I may be able to give you a lift.
I live in Worksop. When are you planning on going?

Thinks..
Saturday would be better - the trains are rubbish on a Sunday.

Cheers for the extra info! I think I've worked it out now.

Dave - many thanks for the offer - not really sure when I'll get chance in the next few weeks, it may be I take a day off mid-week to have a trip up. I may give you a shout if it is a Saturday.

I've managed to persaude my dad he fancies a trip to Clumber, but I'm thinking of pushing the envelope a little further and seeing if he's up for a detour to Lound GPs to see if the Smew and Red-crested Pochards are still there.

I've got directions sorted, but I've read references to Chainbridge Lane being a less than good road - I'm presuming it is perfectly drivable if you'e careful?

I've managed to persaude my dad he fancies a trip to Clumber, but I'm thinking of pushing the envelope a little further and seeing if he's up for a detour to Lound GPs to see if the Smew and Red-crested Pochards are still there.

I've got directions sorted, but I've read references to Chainbridge Lane being a less than good road - I'm presuming it is perfectly drivable if you'e careful?

Hi Pete
Chainbridge is fine to drive down apart from being a little bumpy in place. The 'bad' road/track at Lound is the one which follows the river when you get to the bottom of Chainbridge. You can drive down it to Neatholme Lane but it is extremely bumpy and can be tricky to negotiate. I'm not sure where the Red-c.Pochards are at the moment, but in the past i've always seen them off of Neatholme Lane so if they are there you either take the risk with the drive down the river or walk, which can take probably a good 30 minutes.

There is an alternative route tho to Neatholme Lane. When driving down Chainbridge, you will go over a very obvious raised hump. In this area, there is a track on your left which runs alongside Chainbridge Scrape. Walk down here and this takes you to Neatholme.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Pete,
If you go to Lound, would you please pass on any sightings you have to us at the Bird Club via the LBC web site. Do check the web site out as it will give you all the info you need and there is a map to help you find your way round.

Stu.

Thanks all - didn't get any of my targets at Lound (and no sniffs of hawfinch at Clumber or Rufford!), but discovered some great new sites that I'll be visiting again in the future.

Very good selection of wildfowl at Lound - goldeneye, shelduck, goosander, wigeon, teal, shoveler etc. No signs of RCP, smew or little egret though!

Had the early afternoon at Hoveringham yesterday, the best of it were the odd Egyptian Goose, Shelduck and Redshank, plus displaying Goldeneye on most waters, Green Woodpecker, several GBB Gulls, and the Tawny Owl was in the normal tree, plus zillions of Canadas, Greylags and Woodpigeons - quite eyecatching in those numbers.

Red Kite at Bestwood CP

Best thing so far this year at Bestwood.

Attachments

• 2009-05-03 - 14-08-40 - Woodland - Red_Kite - 1882 - crop.jpg
    2009-05-03 - 14-08-40 - Woodland - Red_Kite - 1882 - crop.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 74
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back