• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nottinghamshire Birding (2 Viewers)

Bestwood Country Park (Lamins Lane)

Headed to the Lamins Lane area on the edge of Bestwood CP on Wednesday afternoon (14th March).

Plenty of woodland birds to see on the way there, including 2 Great Spotted Woodpecker, 2 Nuthatch, 1 Treecreeper, and the usual suspects, including the four typical tits.

Along the lane a few Skylark were singing over the fields and my first patch Pheasant (a male, not a weird green one!), 5 Lapwing and a single Golden Plover (patch tick) all in the same fallow field.

Bestwood Country Park (Mill Lakes)

Set off at 5:30am (BST) today to see in dawn at the Mill Lakes. No owls to be seen (typical!). 2 male and 1 female Shelduck had roosted at the north end which was a patch tick for me and the first Shelduck record for the year apparently.

Other notable sightings were plenty of small Lesser Redpoll groups, 2 Snipe, a few Chiffchaff, a single Grey Wagtail and a single Reed Bunting.

Also picked up a copy of the park's annual bird report for 2006 (just out), to discover my Peregrine sighting would have been the only record for the year, had I known to submit it!

Spring Arrivals

So far I've had the following around Bestwood Country Park, but I haven't checked the Mill Lakes since last month:

Chiffchaff (25/3)
Barn Swallow (15/4)
Willow Warbler (19/4)

More arrivals...

House Martin (21/4)
Whitethroat (22/4)
Blackcap (22/4)
Lesser Whitethroat [Heard only] (22/4)

7 patch ticks today!

Nightjar Walk (Fri 15th June)

Despite the awful weather, my dad and I went along to the Nightjar walk at Budby Common, which was organized by Notts Birders. The weather put most birders off, and only four cars turned up. As we set off, the weather was beginning to clear, and even some blue sky appeared.

Along the first trail we had a Jay, Willow Warbler, Yellowhammer, several Tree Pipit and Linnet, and heard a Blackcap and juvenile woodpecker. On the MOD land there were more Tree Pipit and a male Kestrel was hunting over the heathland. Here we had some reasonable views of Wood Lark, and one sang for us as we continued along the path. A Red-legged Partridge was crossing the cattle grid at the far end of our path before we heading into the woodland. A juvenile Long-eared Owl was calling, and we continued down the track until we were approximately parallel with the bird. After a minute or so, my dad was the one to locate the bird, and we got everyone on to it before heading back down towards the Nightjars.

Here we had a pair of Woodcock in display flight and finally a Nightjar, which displayed for a couple of minutes before disappearing behind the trees. It later settled in a tree and began to 'churr', which was extremely impressive. A brilliant trip for both my dad and myself, with a few great life ticks for both of us.

Last edited:
Found an odd warbler today at Brierley Forest Park.

Too large for a Chiffchaff, with faded eye-stripe, pale throat contrasting with slightly buff breast, complete pale eye-ring, dark legs, fairly large bill, nothing noticeable in the wing, vent or back, overall giving the impression of a bird somwhere between Chiffchaff and a sylvia. It's got me stumped.

Was around 1100-1200, gave two moderate views in the area of bramble above the visitor centre, between the golf course and football pitch.

Otherwise usual suspects for the sight, only individual Lesser Redpoll and Siskin banding along with LTTs and Goldcrests, plenty of Bullfinch everywhere, more Stock Dove gathering in the wildflower meadow now. Very quiet for anything else.

A good sized flock of 50+ Siskin at Bestwood Country Park on Tuesday morning.

Any ideas with the warbler James?

Great blog |=)|

Any of you Notts. birders know if the Caspian Gull still frequents the Great Lake at Clumber? It used to be a regular stealing the fish off the grebes, but it appears to have gone quiet in the last couple of winters?

It was my first Caspian, so just curious.

Any of you Notts. birders know if the Caspian Gull still frequents the Great Lake at Clumber? It used to be a regular stealing the fish off the grebes, but it appears to have gone quiet in the last couple of winters?

It was my first Caspian, so just curious.
The 2006 Notts Report suggests the one first recorded in 2003 that frequents that area was around in the first part of the year, but not through the mid-part of the year. Another (presumed different) bird was recorded there on one date in August. Can't give you any info on this year (yet!).

Had the Great Grey Shrike at Budby Common today. To begin with it showed fairly well a bit south of where the footpath from Budby opens out onto the common. One of the regulars there said it favours that area between noon and one (which is when I saw it), and this bird likes to keep to the top of trees like a good shrike should.

Early afternoon, the same individual later flew over into what I understand is called the east plantation. What that does for the two bird theory I can't say.

Otherwise the usual suspects, Green Woodpecker, Jay, Buzzard, and a birder who came from the Sherwood direction mentioned passing a pair of Stonechat.

new to bird watching so excuse me if i'm a little unshaw of my posting eticate

i have seen 2 small groups of what i believe are redwings on holmepier pont campsite over the past few days around the reception area in the morning around 9 ish also what i believe to be a lesser woody along with the canadian geese,coal tits and blue tits and sparrow hawk patroling the the edge early morning.there is also 2 owls in the area one of them has a chilling screach.

just thought i would share hope thats ok

Thanks for sharing. I don't know that area myself.

I've not come across any Redwings locally this year, they seem to be thin on the ground here. Lesser Spotted Woodpecker is a good find, there aren't too many of them about, and they're hard to see, even when they are around. Well done, and keep posting, especially if you have photos to post.

Any thoughts on what type of owls they were? Probably Tawny, but if you're unsure, try the recordings on the RSPB website for comparison.

thanks ben for the info on the rspb site and the bird calls . sounds like a tawny with abit more higher pitch really did go right through me.

as for your local patch bestwood country park and the mill lakes know it very well had the fourtune to live in the village for a long time ;)

have you seen the kinfishers down near the lakes?

Attenborough Red-necked Grebe

The Attenborough Red-necked Grebe was showing superbly this afternoon, close to the Kingfisher Hide. There were plenty of people taking the opportunity to get photographs, so I am sure that there will be some better than mine to come.

Mark

Attachments

• red-necked grebe 3.jpg
    red-necked grebe 3.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
The 2006 Notts Report suggests the one first recorded in 2003 that frequents that area was around in the first part of the year, but not through the mid-part of the year. Another (presumed different) bird was recorded there on one date in August. Can't give you any info on this year (yet!).

Ben, we think he was there in early 2006 then? This is in sync. with Birdguides, (just done a search). Nothing since, and given the recent status change for CG I thought we might have some more news, so looks like it's gone.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back