• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingsbury Water Park (1 Viewer)

Yeah, to stop the river (and the pools) flooding into the canal, a new flood bund is being created. The material from this is being removed from the edge of Cliff Pool. This wil create shallow areas were we are hoping to create a larger reedbed than we currently have. So hopefully wintering bittern will become a very regular thing.

This does mean part of the footpath network is currently closed (mainly along the canal). Please follow all signs on site to help keep yourselves and the workmen safe.

There is also talks about creating more wet grassland areas on site, for wintering waders. However, this is still in discussion and no decision is finalised yet.

Adam
thanks JohnH and Adam, its always good to see existing wetlands having a make over.:t:john

Spotted flycatcher singing up by Mitchell's Pool on Friday.

Moth trapping has picked up a bit, with poplar hawk moths and cinnabars turning up. Also a white-spotted pug the other day, a first for me.

Adam

Bar headed goose at Bodymoor Heath Water for the past couple of days. Probably a fence hopper.

Number of lapwing were up from the hides this morning, with at least 18 birds present. I think these might be failed breeders that have moved in. The oystercathcers have 1 well grown chick with them on Canal Pool, with plenty of juv BH gulls present too. The terns look to be nesting! I saw adults go down in 3 seperate locations, but with 8 adults present this morning, we can only hope there are even more nests.

Blue tailed damselfly around the pond dipping pond. Also there, there appears to by a pyramidal orchid coming into flower. I will wait and see how the flowers develop when they come out to confirm ID. It is viewable from the main path (the gate on the pond dipping area is locked), just by the bench closest to the play area.

Speckled wood butterflies seen to along the nature trail.

Adam

Moth trapping picked up last night. 2 poplar hawk moths, 3 buff-tips, a buff arches, beautiful hook-tip and a swallowtail were the pick of the bunch. But best of all, an eyed hawk moth, only my second ever, was waiting on the last egg box.

Brown hawker seen over the pond dipping pool on Monday, along with many damselflies, including blue-tailed.

I had the little tern from the Skan Hide last week. The common terns have got at least 9 young out of the nest and sitting along the edge of the island on Canal Pool. They appeared to be in at least 6 distinct family groups, so hopefully this means we had at least 6 breeding pairs. Will try to get a proper count some time this week from both sides of the island.

Good numbers of butterflies out at the moment. Literally dozens of small tortoise-shells along the river from Mitchell's Pool to Hemlingford.

Adam

White satin in the trap the other night at KWP. I have it on tonight too, so we will see what that brings.

Ihad a RP from the hides this morning, although it quickly found cover.

Saw my first ever deer fly up at Mitchell's Pool yesterday. Not sure of the exact species as the thing bit me, so was quickly swatted beyond recognition. But records for all deer fly species appear to be lacking in the area, so will be good to find another to confirm ID.

Adam

Bar-headed goose still at Bodymoor Heath Water yesterday.

Moth trapping throwing up some species that are now for me. A white satin the other day, a large twin-spotted carpet for the last two days, and a yellow-tail yesterday. It was nice to see a drinker in there as well on Sunday, hopefully some of the pics will come out ok so I can stick them online somewhere.

The butterfly meadow is full of, you guessed it, butterflies. Ringlet, meadow browns, large skipper, gatekeeper, large, small and GV whites, small tortoise-shell and comma all seen yesterday. Brown and southern hawkers are out as well, also saw a 4 spot chaser at the Broomey Croft entrance on Sunday.

Adam

I noticed that when I last visited the hides and it was added to the to do list. Sadly, we've been busy running events everyday since then, so I haven't been able to get around to it.

I'm not at Kingsbury again now until 3rd August, so I can only pass on your comments and ask one of the other team members to take the job on. Hopefully, their work programs can squeeze this job in at some point this week.

If it's not done by this Saturday, I'll head in before my shift at Pooley CP and get it cut (as a volunteer).

I just hope nothing decent drops in only for it to be flushed when the work is done!! That really would be just my luck :t:

All the best

Adam

Any chance of getting the grass cut in front of the hides?

I got the majority of the vegetation this morning with the sheers, opening up the large majority of the views. It will now be a case of seeing how much sits back up in the coming couple of days and then getting back out with again if it is needed.

Not a lot from the hides this morning. Good numbers of lapwing though and 2 broods of tufted duck.

Anyone using the Kingfisher Hide, please be wary as the wasps seem to be using it to build a nest somewhere nearby.

Adam

Moth trap help some goodies this morning. New for me: scarce silver lines, chinese character, grey arches and dusky sallow. This adds to the buff footman which was new to me last week. A few yellow tails out as well.

The park is currently restricted in parts due to flooding. Always worth asking in the centre just to make sure where you cant get to. I might nip to the hides in the morning to see if anything is sheltering from the recent weather, but with the water levels rising, it is likely any suitable exposed mud has been covered. But I live in hope.

Adam

A med gull was present this morning, sat on a post viewable from the first BP hide. It looked to be beginning to moult into 2nd winter plumage. I first saw it fly past me in the Skan Hide and then settle in front of the BP Hide. A quick dash round and there it was. The bright red legs really stuck out, as did the minimal black in it's primaries; compared to the BH gulls nearby. The dark markings on it's head had faded to leave quite a distinct white forehead and then black marks behind the eyes and around the back of the head. It seemed quite settled, preening itself quite happily for 20 minutes or more, before I had to head off to work. I'm quite happy with this find as I've been trying to self-find a med gull for ages now. The trick now is to find a job that needs doing up by the hides today ;)

2 posts to the right of the gull was a kingfisher, albeit briefly.

Also 1 wigeon this morning to the left of the Skan Hide and 50+ lapwing.

Adam

Regarding the Hawfinch sighting 28/12/13 reported to Tame Valley Birding
http://tamevalleybirding.blogspot.co.uk/
Observers not known
Far Leys carpark SP20949 96497
Kids adventure Playground SP21047 96590
Hawfinch at this time of year would be a wintering continental bird (normaly).
Adam who posted on here regularly, it appears he was a summer only KWP Warden.

Regards, John

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back