• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingsbury Water Park (1 Viewer)

andythomas

Kingsbury Water Park is owned and run by Warwickshire County Council. It is situated in the Tame valley near to other good birding sites such as Coton, Lea Marston, Ladywalk, and Shustoke Reservoir. The park was established in the late 1970s on the site of a former gravel works. Since that time the M42 has been constructed passing straight through the park, but fortunately it is not too noticeable except for a certain amount of traffic noise.

Many of the pools have been adapted for leisure activities such as sailing and fishing. The nature reserve is at the northern end of the park, with four hides around Cliff Pool. This was recently landscaped to allow the ducks and geese access to the bank, which seems to have increased the number of some birds, such as Wigeon. The islands hold numbers of Lapwing and Cormorant, and in winter Golden Plover.

The West Midland Bird Club has a visitors centre adjacent to Broomey Croft car park, near to Cliff Pool. This is normally manned at weekends, and can provide details of what birds have been seen recently. Please call in for a chat if you are passing.

Winter is perhaps the best time to visit with good numbers of wildfowl present. Spring and autumn wader passage can also be good. Even in summer there are good numbers of breeding birds present, such as Oystercatcher, Common Tern and warblers.

Rarities do turn up regularly, particularly during passage. In 2003 these have included Smew, Osprey, Hobby, Peregrine, Ruff, Whinchat, Little Egret, Black-tailed Godwit, Mediterranean Gull, Wood Sandpiper, Dunlin, Whimbrel, Avocet, Garganey and Rock Pipit. In addition 2002 produced Slavonian Grebe, Common Scoter, Great Grey Shrike, Black, Arctic and Roseate Tern, Little Gull and Temminck’s Stint.

Highlights for me at KWP have included my first ever Smew and Firecrest, and all three woodpeckers in half an hour, so it's not just wildfowl.

Access: Signposted from the A4097 south of Kingsbury. Parking Fee. Use the Broomey Croft car park which is nearest to the nature reserve.

Resident: Little and Great Crested Grebes, Cormorant, Gadwall, Tufted Duck, Lapwing, Kingfisher, Reed Bunting.

April - September: Shelduck, Oystercatcher, Little Ringed Plover, Ringed Plover, Redshank, Greenshank, Green Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper, Common Tern, Turtle Dove, Sedge and Reed Warbler, Blackcap.

October - March: Wigeon, Teal, Shoveler, Pochard, Goldeneye, Goosander, Golden Plover, Snipe.

I have visited this site on many occasions and have never been disapointed.

There is also a camping and caravan club site within the park where I have stayed many times, the camp site is now open all year and it's a 10 walk minute to the nature reserve, use the Bromley Croft entrance for both the camp site and nature reserve.

Hello Peteg,

On behalf of admin and all the moderators, a warm welcome to Bird Forum.

I see that you are not too far away from me - at least until we move house in November. We rented a house in Maltby before moving to downtown Rotherham!

Had a look back at your first post in July, which was overlooked at the time - sorry about that. From that post I notice that you have the same scope as I do, and I have also fashioned a home-made adapter.

Look forward to seeing some of your pics. Where do you go birding?

Hello Diane

Thanks for the welcome, my local birding spots are Old Moor, Denaby Ings, sproborough flash and Gorge and blacktoft sands, but being retired and a caravaner i visit many other sites around the country.

I also visit Old Moor and will be even closer to it when we've moved.

I've tried Denaby Ings once and never been to Sprotborough Flash, although I've been meaning to give it a go sometime.

andythomas said:
Kingsbury Water Park is owned and run by Warwickshire County Council. It is situated in the Tame valley near to other good birding sites such as Coton, Lea Marston, Ladywalk, and Shustoke Reservoir. The park was established in the late 1970s on the site of a former gravel works. Since that time the M42 has been constructed passing straight through the park, but fortunately it is not too noticeable except for a certain amount of traffic noise.

Many of the pools have been adapted for leisure activities such as sailing and fishing. The nature reserve is at the northern end of the park, with four hides around Cliff Pool. This was recently landscaped to allow the ducks and geese access to the bank, which seems to have increased the number of some birds, such as Wigeon. The islands hold numbers of Lapwing and Cormorant, and in winter Golden Plover.

The West Midland Bird Club has a visitors centre adjacent to Broomey Croft car park, near to Cliff Pool. This is normally manned at weekends, and can provide details of what birds have been seen recently. Please call in for a chat if you are passing.

Winter is perhaps the best time to visit with good numbers of wildfowl present. Spring and autumn wader passage can also be good. Even in summer there are good numbers of breeding birds present, such as Oystercatcher, Common Tern and warblers.

Rarities do turn up regularly, particularly during passage. In 2003 these have included Smew, Osprey, Hobby, Peregrine, Ruff, Whinchat, Little Egret, Black-tailed Godwit, Mediterranean Gull, Wood Sandpiper, Dunlin, Whimbrel, Avocet, Garganey and Rock Pipit. In addition 2002 produced Slavonian Grebe, Common Scoter, Great Grey Shrike, Black, Arctic and Roseate Tern, Little Gull and Temminck’s Stint.

Highlights for me at KWP have included my first ever Smew and Firecrest, and all three woodpeckers in half an hour, so it's not just wildfowl.

Access: Signposted from the A4097 south of Kingsbury. Parking Fee. Use the Broomey Croft car park which is nearest to the nature reserve.

Resident: Little and Great Crested Grebes, Cormorant, Gadwall, Tufted Duck, Lapwing, Kingfisher, Reed Bunting.

April - September: Shelduck, Oystercatcher, Little Ringed Plover, Ringed Plover, Redshank, Greenshank, Green Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper, Common Tern, Turtle Dove, Sedge and Reed Warbler, Blackcap.

October - March: Wigeon, Teal, Shoveler, Pochard, Goldeneye, Goosander, Golden Plover, Snipe.

HI THERE I AM NEW TO BIRDFORUM TODAY I WAS AT KINGSBURY MYSELF AND I AM 100% SURE THAT A TURNSTONE WAS PRESENT IS THIS A FIRST FOR KINGBURY. OR COULD I HAVE MISSED THE BOAT AND CONFUSED IT WITH ANOTHER WADER

johnnyboy said:
HI THERE I AM NEW TO BIRDFORUM TODAY I WAS AT KINGSBURY MYSELF AND I AM 100% SURE THAT A TURNSTONE WAS PRESENT IS THIS A FIRST FOR KINGBURY. OR COULD I HAVE MISSED THE BOAT AND CONFUSED IT WITH ANOTHER WADER

Johnnyboy,

I doubt if it's a first, but it was a turnstone and it's still reported as being there today.

jeff said:
Johnnyboy,

I doubt if it's a first, but it was a turnstone and it's still reported as being there today.

There was a turnstone for about a week, so you were right there. They are just about annual at Kingsbury, and more regular in spring down the road (canal) at Drayton Baset/Dosthill where there is better habitat and less Sunday birders!!

Hi Andythomas & Others,

I am planning a trip up your way for weekend after next.

I will be on the look out for Willow Tit & grey Partridge which are birds I haven't caught up with yet.

Any ideas where I should look within Warwickshire/Birmingham vicinity?

I would appreciate any advice.

Many Thanks,

Padraig.

Nature's Bounty

I have a somewhat strange non-bird related request. I was wondering if anyone, whilst out birding, had noticed any areas where it's possible to pick wild fruits, berries, mushrooms or anything else edible or noteworthy!

I'm aware of a few good blackberry picking sites and today I came across a nice cherry tree near my home. I live in Kingsbury, North Warwickshire.

Just a thought, I wonder if anyone can provide me with any locations!?

Thanks in advance,

Gary

wild food

I have a somewhat strange non-bird related request. I was wondering if anyone, whilst out birding, had noticed any areas where it's possible to pick wild fruits, berries, mushrooms or anything else edible or noteworthy!

I'm aware of a few good blackberry picking sites and today I came across a nice cherry tree near my home. I live in Kingsbury, North Warwickshire.

Thanks in advance,

Gary

I tend to source my wild food, inc elderberries (great with blackberries for jam ) along canal towpaths. Easy to get at and no passing traffic to coat them in lead! Watch those 'mushrooms' mate, unless you are an expert (or a French pharmacist) they can be deadly. Often get hazel nuts on towpaths too.
Good hunting

Thanks in advance,

Gary

wild fruit and berries ...leave em for the birds mate

current state of site?

Does anybody know how this site is doing these day's.
Back in the day, this site was a major draw for many west mids birders. I never hear anything about the place these day's. I did hear that all the money (£100,000) that was spent on the habitat creation, wasn't totally successful. Does anyone watch from the hides there and if so what's it like. What happened to the west mids bird club info centre. ? Do the terns still breed on the pool next to the island? There doesn't seem to be any up todate links for the site
B :)John

KWP North

Does anybody know how this site is doing these day's.
Back in the day, this site was a major draw for many west mids birders. I never hear anything about the place these day's. I did hear that all the money (£100,000) that was spent on the habitat creation, wasn't totally successful. Does anyone watch from the hides there and if so what's it like. What happened to the west mids bird club info centre. ? Do the terns still breed on the pool next to the island? There doesn't seem to be any up todate links for the site
B :)John

Hi John,
Flooding damaged stock in the West Midlands Birdclub hut so it was decided to close the hut, the remaining items were taken away for storage, 2 consecutive years of flooding devasted what was the largest inland Common Tern colony in the country, small numbers now nest along the Mid-Tame Valley. Former warden of Ladywalk Steve Cawthray watches KWP North and has organised work parties using the Ladywalk crew and a few rangers from the country park. WJE watches the site in the evenings, any finds would go onto Tame Valley Birding. So nothing of note has turned up recently.

Regards, John

Hi John,
Flooding damaged stock in the West Midlands Birdclub hut so it was decided to close the hut, the remaining items were taken away for storage, 2 consecutive years of flooding devasted what was the largest inland Common Tern colony in the country, small numbers now nest along the Mid-Tame Valley. Former warden of Ladywalk Steve Cawthray watches KWP North and has organised work parties using the Ladywalk crew and a few rangers from the country park. WJE watches the site in the evenings, any finds would go onto Tame Valley Birding. So nothing of note has turned up recently.

Regards, John

cheers John answered all my questions mate.:t:john Always was a good place for SEowl and LE owl along the canal.

Owls

cheers John answered all my questions mate.:t:john Always was a good place for SEowl and LE owl along the canal.

Hi John, It was very good for Short-eared Owl winter of 2011-2012 this year very poor, Richard's meadow will need a bit of scrub removal in the future.
The normal winter candidates Smew and Short-eared Owl it has been extremely poor for these in the Mid-Tame valley, however despite this it has been the best winter I can remember i.e 3 Great Northern Diver, 2 Long-tailed Duck, Great White Egret, Whooper Swan, 3 Bittern, 2 Firecrest 3 identified Siberian Chifchaff, Scaup, White-rumped Sandpiper.

Regards, John

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back