• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingsbury Water Park (1 Viewer)

John

My visits here are inconsistent but I've always enjoyed them, it's on my circuit of sites I frequent away from Upton. Whenever I've been it has always been very quiet often I've felt all alone (but that's another story). Some really good briding though often running in parallel with Middleton, somewhere else I frequent. Not been this year yet but 2012 was very fruitful, just before Christmas I had a Short-eared Owl. Good to see others are enjoying what is still a good site.

Alan

John

My visits here are inconsistent but I've always enjoyed them, it's on my circuit of sites I frequent away from Upton. Whenever I've been it has always been very quiet often I've felt all alone (but that's another story). Some really good briding though often running in parallel with Middleton, somewhere else I frequent. Not been this year yet but 2012 was very fruitful, just before Christmas I had a Short-eared Owl. Good to see others are enjoying what is still a good site.

Alan

Hi Alaqn and John
back in the 80's when the area was known as Bodymoor heath, it was a top birding site. But I suppose the gravel extraction has moved north and with it the birds. I was told yesterday, that the area in front of the hides was very productive, with an emphasis on reed bed species.B :)John

Hi Alaqn and John
back in the 80's when the area was known as Bodymoor heath, it was a top birding site. But I suppose the gravel extraction has moved north and with it the birds. I was told yesterday, that the area in front of the hides was very productive, with an emphasis on reed bed species.B :)John

John

You are right about the area in front of the hides. The crescent shaped island is a magnet for a good variety of birds. The field to the left provides good grazing attracting good numbers of geese. Snipe and Jack Snipe are in attendance. Widgeon numbers are usually good and Little Egrets are often showing well. Are you aware that a new hide was opened to replace the one that was burnt down? I recommend people check out this site especially when access to Middleton is restricted due to flooded pathways.

Regards Alan

Spent a delightful 5 hours at Kingsbury today. Water levels were high which affected the volume of birds but that didn't detract from some good birding. Highlights included Goosander, Goldeneye (1 male, 2 Females), Pintail, Little Grebe, Shelduck, Widgeon, Teal, Gadwall, Shovelar, Oystercatcher, Snipe, Buzzard, Lapwing and two Kingfishers flying in formation. I had a third Kingfisher when walking down the canal. It flew toward me and realising I was there put the brakes on and turned round in to fly off. For a moment it was frozen in mid air wings stretched and all in direct light and up close - simply breathtaking.

Wandered down to Middleton, first visit of 2013. Very muddy and water levels very high all in all pretty inaccessible. Much work being done with heavy machinery in attendance. I hope the final outcome will be result in the improvements intended.

Great day all round, Alan

KWP North late news

I was contacted by a birder I know via birdforum yesterday, Arthur Bladon, Arthur had visited KWP North on Thursday 21/2/13 and photographed 2 birds on canal pool, Arthur sent through the photo's this morining that of drake Smew and drake Scaup (1st winter).

Regards, John

Voluntary work day KWP

Former Warden of Ladywalk Steve Cawthray has organised a work party day at KWP Wednesday 13th March, with cutbacks the park has limited staff, Fred Hopkins being the head warden at KWP. If you are interested in the below task please phone Steve Cawthray on the number below mentioning you saw the messsage on birdforum

Regards, John
Hi all.

Fred has asked me to organise a work party to clear the Islands and margins at both Cliff and Canal pools in order to make them suitable for breeding waders and terns that will be returning soon.

Meet at fishermens car par park which is between Canl and Broomey croft pools at 10 am.

Pete/John I want to borrow the Scthecutter and brushcutter please.

If you have Scthes

Rakes etc please bring along as well as wellies

Many thanks Steve 07919 151212

Last edited:
Hs2

Some people were saying the HS2 was going through the Water Park however looking at maps on the internet it does not.

Regards, John

Received today North Talk magazine April issue from North Warks Borough Council, stating the new connection to Leeds will come from Lea Marston following the M42 and go through KWP (the visitors centre side) describing the loss of Pooley Country Park and it will also go through Alvecote pools.

Regards, John

Received today North Talk magazine April issue from North Warks Borough Council, stating the new connection to Leeds will come from Lea Marston following the M42 and go through KWP (the visitors centre side) describing the loss of Pooley Country Park and it will also go through Alvecote pools.

Regards, John

Cheers John, pdf at http://www.northwarks.gov.uk/site/scripts/download_info.php?downloadID=1178

Also maps at https://www.gov.uk/hs2-phase-two-in...profile-maps#route-map-west-midlands-to-leeds

Matt

Regards, John

Hi John,

I don't think it goes through Alvecote pools. The route as I understand it follows the M42 quite closely. Just like the motorway, the HS2 route goes over the river Anker well upstream of the actual pools. I would rather it didn't go anywhere near them at all, but it looks like we will have to accept its going to happen. My main concern is what pollution and suspended sediments will be stirred up and wash downstream into the pools?

Last edited:
North talk Magazine

The route through North Warwickshire The eastern leg of Phase 2 goes to Leeds, passing through the Borough before heading to the East Midlands. The line will connect with the London to Birmingham Phase 1 line east of Birmingham, near Junction 9 of the M42. It will then follow the southern edge of the M42 corridor travelling through Kingsbury Water Park. To the north-east of Kingsbury, the line passes over the M42 and heads up to Whateley and then on to Junction 10 of the M42. It is proposed that the line will then go under both the A5 and M42 before returning to the southern edge of the M42. The line then heads through Pooley Country Park, over the Austrey Meadows and then between the M42 and Austrey before leaving the Borough heading towards the East Midlands. Major impact on Borough As with Phase 1, there are many questions unanswered from the published plans. These relate to the impact on homes and businesses along the route; the wildlife, particularly at Kingsbury Water Park, the loss of Pooley Country Park and the impact of moving the M42 “temporarily” at Birchmoor. If homes and businesses are lost, this could impact on Council Tax payers due to funding arrangements. It is also costing the Borough Council thousands of pounds to deal with the scheme. The Council intends to work with Action Groups, the County Council and other organisations to firstly oppose but also to seek the best mitigation possible, if the line does go ahead.

Map HS2 Alvecote

Stays with M42. Upstream of Pools. Will cause a lot of disruption though.

Attachments

• Screenshot (6).jpg
    Screenshot (6).jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 60
Kingsbury 4th April

Freezing cold in the Kingsbury hides this afternoon, I thought that the roof was going to blow off the first hide! Good numbers of Shoveler, Teal, Shelduck and Tufty. Also one pair of Goldeneye, a very obliging Little Grebe a single Little Egret and a flock of appx 30 Wigeon flew in just as I was leaving.

Attachments

• Goldeneye 13 apr 5 s.jpg
    Goldeneye 13 apr 5 s.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Little Grebe 13 apr 4 s.jpg
    Little Grebe 13 apr 4 s.jpg
    352.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Shoveler 13 apr 1 s.jpg
    Shoveler 13 apr 1 s.jpg
    476.3 KB · Views: 50
  • Wigeon 13 apr 4 s.jpg
    Wigeon 13 apr 4 s.jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 47
2 singing chiffchaff on the River Tame just past Mitchell's Pool the other morning.

I'm aiming to make KWP my local patch once the days get a little longer, or if my shifts start later. I'll be keeping the sightings board in the VC more up-to-date too, and might even be getting the news out via their Facebook (search for 'Warwickshire Country Parks') and Twitter (@countryparks).

Adam

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back