• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 - oh my! (5 Viewers)

Hello,
I had Conquest HD 8x32 and they were very nice company for biking tours. I appreciated their wide field, brightness, central sharpness and robust construction. Only minor thing was they had not been alpha level in term of CA suppression, but for bike trips in woods it does not bother me much.
At the time I purchased them back in 2015 for 620euro it was bargain, as their price is much higher nowadays.
I gave it friend as anniversary gift and he appreciated it during fishing trips due great performance in small package.

Feasible alternatives seen by me are Genesis, Trinovid or Meostars, with each having its own strengths.
IMHO they outperform Nikon SE 8x32 which were one time benchmark and still appreciated, what tells a lot.
Even if binocular is labeled and traded "Made in Antarctica by Penguins" it will not be seen from my perspective as objection.

In the end, quite frankly, color of T* coatings is really tempting :)

View attachment 1418469
Best Regards
I’m not sure I understand everything you said, but Antarctica it’s too cold and penguins are really cool. trinovid more CA than conquest , meostar nice, no jump from the conquest and the Nikons are really nice but some say difficult eye box and of course not waterproof. My Opinion out of that group is the Genesis. I just got done with A nice hour or so with them and my new SF. None of the above are true upper end Alphas.

if we’re talking about where something is made I don’t really care all that much, although I prefer Germany, Japan or Austria. As long as it’s NOT made in China…

I try at every step in my life these days , go out of my way at considerable expense to NOT BUY CHINA anything.

Paul

You guys can believe whatever you choose, but that doesn't make it fact.
Belief is more likely on your side!

I asked you about your source, unfortunately nothing comes of it!

Again, there are court rulings to what extent the "Made in Germany" logo is permissible, which you just seem to ignore.

You can believe whatever you want, the earth is flat!

Andreas

Again, there are court rulings to what extent the "Made in Germany" logo is permissible, which you just seem to ignore.

Andreas
The moon landings were faked, Aliens built the pyramids, covid-19 started in a wet market in Wuhan, these are things that people say. Oh and I almost forgot the topic, Zeiss conquest is made in Japan.

Now lets get back to Conquest being same optics from the canceled FL Series.

I try at every step in my life these days , go out of my way at considerable expense to NOT BUY CHINA anything.

Paul
Paul,

I understand. China is a country which can send a robot to the moon and return rock samples to earth. It is also a country which produces a lot of shoddy merchandise. There is something to say for Chinese goods manufactured under the label of established companies, like Zeiss, Apple and Nikon, but most of their consumer goods are rather poor quality.

Stay safe,
Arthur

Paul,

I understand. China is a country which can send a robot to the moon and return rock samples to earth. It is also a country which produces a lot of shoddy merchandise. There is something to say for Chinese goods manufactured under the label of established companies, like Zeiss, Apple and Nikon, but most of their consumer goods are rather poor quality.

Stay safe,
Arthur
Shoddy merchandise is the smallest part of it. China is a country that literally caused millions of deaths around the world and suffered no repercussions from it. China is a country that in slaves it’s own people. China has shut down economies cross the planet. China is country on a path that may likely entangle the world. They say that history repeats itself, in the 1930s the west ignored what Germany was doing in Europe, just like we ignore what China is doing Today. All for the reason to buy cheap goods and not have to deal with the larger issues that one day we will face. I urge everyone around the world not to buy China if it is at all possible, look for products and goods made somewhere else.

Wow... I opened this thread after an amazing day of birding (truly a watershed for me), hoping to chime in with my appreciation for my (beloved) Conquest HD 8x32s and maybe offer my opinion of them as compared to the dozen+ other high-end/alpha bins I've owned, but I'm afraid that anyone who get this far in the thread will no longer be thinking about the original post. Pitty.

8x32 Conquest HDs are a definite keeper for me, and I've sold ELs (pre-SV, SV & FP), SFs, UVHDs, SLC HDs, Dialyt T*P*s and more. Much like the OP, I have large hands and the 8x32 Conqs fit like a glove and work intuitively, without a second thought. If mine were to vanish today I would pay full price for another pair tomorrow.

Wow... I opened this thread after an amazing day of birding (truly a watershed for me), hoping to chime in with my appreciation for my (beloved) Conquest HD 8x32s and maybe offer my opinion of them as compared to the dozen+ other high-end/alpha bins I've owned, but I'm afraid that anyone who get this far in the thread will no longer be thinking about the original post. Pitty.

8x32 Conquest HDs are a definite keeper for me, and I've sold ELs (pre-SV, SV & FP), SFs, UVHDs, SLC HDs, Dialyt T*P*s and more. Much like the OP, I have large hands and the 8x32 Conqs fit like a glove and work intuitively, without a second thought. If mine were to vanish today I would pay full price for another pair tomorrow.

Well said. Knowing how good mine are, if I lost mine, in spite of my emotional desire for the 8x32 SFs, I still would likely buy another pair of the Conquests. Having a pair of what I think are the finest 8x42s ever made, the Zeiss Victory HTs, the optics of the Conquests are probably 90, maybe 95% as good (until the light dims, the the HTs are clearly superior).

That said, I reserve my right to buy a pair of the SFs if I weaken much more... ;)

I drifted, went dark for a moment , forgive me, it’s been a crazy 2020-21.
I’m still in for your observations on the Conquest. Nice glass.

Well said. Knowing how good mine are, if I lost mine, in spite of my emotional desire for the 8x32 SFs, I still would likely buy another pair of the Conquests. Having a pair of what I think are the finest 8x42s ever made, the Zeiss Victory HTs, the optics of the Conquests are probably 90, maybe 95% as good (until the light dims, the the HTs are clearly superior).

That said, I reserve my right to buy a pair of the SFs if I weaken much more... ;)
Lol, and you will weaken CSG.

Attachments

• 190DEF8C-D783-4AD6-BB98-FD43695B2EE9.jpeg
    190DEF8C-D783-4AD6-BB98-FD43695B2EE9.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 38
  • AAB74E40-1E1D-4B7D-AC75-F2188A0768F7.jpeg
    AAB74E40-1E1D-4B7D-AC75-F2188A0768F7.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 36
  • 281A3BD4-F0E5-4140-A4D1-41753FC66691.jpeg
    281A3BD4-F0E5-4140-A4D1-41753FC66691.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
  • 913FF62E-EFEB-4157-9BD6-852A7B2028E9.jpeg
    913FF62E-EFEB-4157-9BD6-852A7B2028E9.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 37
How well do the eyecups raise and lower on those things?
Very smooth, even, 3 clean tactile clicks stops, no play or wiggle and are enjoyable to use. Basically nothing at all like the conquest. These are like the GPO’s , which I think are the best in the business. Another example might be the Nikon HG.

Attachments

• IMG_2073.MOV
    12.6 MB

Andreas
Andreas,

So let us agree on three things:

All parts of the Conquest are made in Japan. No exceptions.
These parts are put together ( from Zeiss source: in 5 parts) in Germany.

For the Law it is made in Germany.

For you, it is made in Germany.

For me, it is Made in Japan and assembled in Germany.

Correct?

Jan

Last edited:
In some cases ( manufacturers) … it isn’t where the part is made or attached to the product… rather overall quality control. Swaro /Leica have that quality control at the first rate … others are real close while a few exist with little quality control.

In some cases ( manufacturers) … it isn’t where the part is made or attached to the product… rather overall quality control. Swaro /Leica have that quality control at the first rate … others are real close while a few exist with little quality control.

Well, my latest Leica purchase, a Geovid 3200 about two months ago, has been a disaster. It's already been back to Leica twice and it still doesn't work. They finally agreed to replace it with a new one since it was such a piece of crap. I received the new one today, in a smashed box, opened it up, and the binoculars are literally broken in half at the hinges. So I'm out $2800 for a unit that is useless.

Well, my latest Leica purchase, a Geovid 3200 about two months ago, has been a disaster. It's already been back to Leica twice and it still doesn't work. They finally agreed to replace it with a new one since it was such a piece of crap. I received the new one today, in a smashed box, opened it up, and the binoculars are literally broken in half at the hinges. So I'm out $2800 for a unit
Heads up the picture of the box you posted has your name and address on it with all the scammers trolling these forums you may want to remove that picture or block out your name and address

Lol, and you will weaken CSG.
Sigh. I was able to buy a new pair of the 8x32 SFs from BH who did a price match from another AD who I hadn't done business with. $1999.99, shipped with no tax. Apparently, Zeiss is including a towelette to wipe off the white preservative coating now. Zeiss CS explained it was a preservative for long term storage in shipping issues. I guess I'll find out Friday. I just couldn't pass up the deal. They made a mistake by not addressing this coating until the recent batch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back