• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 - oh my! (1 Viewer)

Congratulations you’re going to love them, they are an excellent high quality Binocular. You can never go wrong with a German made Zeiss. Beautiful optics, excellent fast focus and built really nice. The Leica is in that same price category and there also a beautiful Binocular in that same quality class, I just had an issue because I’m sensitive to the CA.

enjoy.
You may be right aabout German made Zeiss, but in the case of the Conquest HD's, they are made in Japan.

It cannot be because of the construction differences, maybe higher end glass components are in the FL ?
The FL is shorter than the Conquest, but still has fewer chromatic aberrations, probably using higher quality fluorite glass.
Overall, the housing is of higher quality, as are the eyecups.
The diotrine balance is of much higher quality and therefore more complex and expensive.
The FL is also a bit smaller, more manageable and lighter, the sum of the factors makes up the higher price.
Ultimately, it's the last 5-10% of improvements that make an middle an alpha.

Andreas

Last edited:
You may be right aabout German made Zeiss, but in the case of the Conquest HD's, they are made in Japan.
Oh no, not that debate again, there was already a quarrel and argument here recently!
What is really being made in Japan is still not clear, the fact is that the Conquest is also being worked on in Germany, the label "Made in Germany" must be found.

Andreas

Incorrect
Incorrect. Made in Japan. Eyecups screwed in Germany. QC and packaging done there as well. From an industry inside who made me promise not to leak his name and affiliation. Packaging also done in Germany. Qualifies for EU rule that 10% of product must be made in Germany. Still outstanding binos.

Now that IS what I call an alternative fact. ;-) Mine have got 'Made in Germany' clearly printed on the focus wheel. Although if any of the components are made in Japan that's fine with me.

Upland. As I understand it, EU rules allow a product to be labelled 'Made in ...' (any EU country) if the 'last major transformation' (of the product) was carried out in that country. Fitting eye cups and packaging would not qualify as a last major transformation. I don't see any 10% rule in the regulations.

One thing's for sure, they're not made in China... that's all that concerns me.

Last edited:
Incorrect. Made in Japan. Eyecups screwed in Germany. QC and packaging done there as well. From an industry inside who made me promise not to leak his name and affiliation. Packaging also done in Germany. Qualifies for EU rule that 10% of product must be made in Germany. Still outstanding binos.
This has been shown to be wrong over and over. Believe what you want. You guys crack me up with your insider info from people who made you promise not to tell. :rolleyes:

In principle, a product may only bear the label “Made in Germany” if those manufacturing steps are carried out in Germany that justify the properties of the product that are responsible for consumer appreciation and are therefore “essential”.
If it cannot be assumed with certainty that the essential manufacturing steps for a product take place in Germany, it is usually unavoidable to seek legal help in order to avoid warnings.
In particular, it is misleading if the word "Germany" is affixed to the product or is followed by a company name that is fixed on the product and the accompanying documents, provided that the main manufacturing processes for the product are not carried out in Germany.

It would be a nice ironic story if only the worst part (eyecups) were assembled at the Conquest in Germany.

Andreas

Now that IS what I call an alternative fact. ;-) Mine have got 'Made in Germany' clearly printed on the focus wheel. Although if any of the components are made in Japan that's fine with me.

Upland. As I understand it, EU rules allow a product to be labelled 'Made in ...' (any EU country) if the 'last major transformation' (of the product) was carried out in that country. Fitting eye cups and packaging would not qualify as a last major transformation. I don't see any 10% rule in the regulations.

One thing's for sure, they're not made in China... that's all that concerns me.
Amen to that.

A very, very minimal tweak is done to the Conquest HD's to "allow" the Made in Germany. It is a Japanese product which is not a bad thing. Just the way it is.

They're made in Japan, period, I don't care what debate is going on.
Debate is irrelevant, by law they are made in Germany. If certain things are made in Japan and or assemble there and the law states that is allowable then we would still call these binoculars made in Germany. Is a Toyota a Chinese car…. Period.

A very, very minimal tweak is done to the Conquest HD's to "allow" the Made in Germany. It is a Japanese product which is not a bad thing. Just the way it is.
Where is your source?
If this were the case, every Zeiss Conquest owner could take recourse against Zeiss for misleading!

Leica has a factory in Portugal, some binoculars are manufactured there, the company uses the same resources as the main factory in Germany, but the glasses must be labeled "Made in Portugal", even if a few steps take place in Germany!
Even the Noctivid wears "Portugal" when the main work is not taking place in Germany!

You can't just use the label "Made in Germany" unless there is a noticeable proportion in Germany, there are numerous court rulings that clarify that.
Such a well-known company as Zeiss can hardly circumvent these rules without receiving sustained charges.
If the Conquest were made practically exclusively in Japan, "Made in Germany" would not be permitted, instead the glasses would have to read "Designed in Germany".

Andreas

Last edited:
Where is your source?
If this were the case, every Zeiss Conquest owner could take recourse against Zeiss for misleading!

Leica has a factory in Portugal, some binoculars are manufactured there, the company uses the same resources as the main factory in Germany, but the glasses must be labeled "Made in Portugal", even if a few steps take place in Germany!
Even the Noctivid wears "Portugal" when the main work is not taking place in Germany!

You can't just use the label "Made in Germany" unless there is a noticeable proportion in Germany, there are numerous court rulings that clarify that.
Such a well-known company as Zeiss can hardly circumvent these rules without receiving sustained charges.

Andreas
Well said. Sometimes somebody gets told by somebody who knows somebody that says something about something and from that point, it becomes fact ;-).

After I just bought an UVHD+ that I believed were made in Germany ( as I was told earlier in the year by an unnamed US retailer). Once seeing the made in Portugal inscription , I spoke with Hamilton at Leica. He (he’s a somebody) told me that all the binoculars from trinovid to Noctavid are now being made in Portugal due to new imposed German duties. It was move production, or raise prices significantly.
That somebody also informed me that there is no qualitative difference at all for made in Germany or made in Portugal.

PS, Conquest are made in Germany!

Paul

Hello,
I had Conquest HD 8x32 and they were very nice company for biking tours. I appreciated their wide field, brightness, central sharpness and robust construction. Only minor thing was they had not been alpha level in term of CA suppression, but for bike trips in woods it does not bother me much.
At the time I purchased them back in 2015 for 620euro it was bargain, as their price is much higher nowadays.
I gave it friend as anniversary gift and he appreciated it during fishing trips due great performance in small package.

Feasible alternatives seen by me are Genesis, Trinovid or Meostars, with each having its own strengths.
IMHO they outperform Nikon SE 8x32 which were one time benchmark and still appreciated, what tells a lot.
Even if binocular is labeled and traded "Made in Antarctica by Penguins" it will not be seen from my perspective as objection.

In the end, quite frankly, color of T* coatings is really tempting :)

2015-05-08-3681.jpg
Best Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back