• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's your most used binocular? (1 Viewer)

I’ve cycled in the past two weeks to the Leica Ultravid 7x42, Zeiss Victory SF in 8x32 and as always, have to have a vintage super with me at all times, now using the 7x35 Bushnell Kowa Rangemaster. Beautiful spring day in NY.

Attachments

• IMG_3080.jpeg
    IMG_3080.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3079.jpeg
    IMG_3079.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3077.jpeg
    IMG_3077.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
My most used binoculars go in cycles of a few weeks to a few months.

Paul
Same here!

Lately I've been using the Opticron Aurora 8X42 every time I go out sometimes paired with the Monarch HG 8X42. Those two are a pretty good comparison....

DSC01358_1.jpeg

My daily-use binoculars are Nikon Monarch 8x42. They focus quickly, and close, and have a big field. I also have nice Leupold Santiam 10X50's I use for very open situations, but for woodlands, I keep coming back to the Monarchs. The rubber armor is wearing out, and I'll have to send it in for repair soon, as I have before.

Far and away most used is my Swarovski 8x20 pocket.

They are most used because they can go with me anywhere because they are so small and light.

If I am going birding specifically I take a full sized bino.

It's funny, the past couple of years i've burned through some bins in the search for 'best'. But as I age, our style of birding (almost always hiking 3-5mi., often in hills) means that I grab the best lightweight bins I own. Lately that's been 8x32FL's. The NV's and even the 8x40SFL's get left behind. The UV's sold... etc. I've been tempted by 32SF's but mixed reviews have turned me away and the 8x32UV's are 'out' just because of ER (specs wearer). I do count grams (I know some argue it's silly) and i've just ordered another 8x30SFL (wife took first pair) to revisit that possibility (nearly 100gm lighter than FL's). I've even started thinking about selling the NV, Retros, etc. as I don't really use them :-(

It's funny, the past couple of years i've burned through some bins in the search for 'best'. But as I age, our style of birding (almost always hiking 3-5mi., often in hills) means that I grab the best lightweight bins I own. Lately that's been 8x32FL's. The NV's and even the 8x40SFL's get left behind. The UV's sold... etc. I've been tempted by 32SF's but mixed reviews have turned me away and the 8x32UV's are 'out' just because of ER (specs wearer). I do count grams (I know some argue it's silly) and i've just ordered another 8x30SFL (wife took first pair) to revisit that possibility (nearly 100gm lighter than FL's). I've even started thinking about selling the NV, Retros, etc. as I don't really use them :-(
I agree! Mostly... A lighter binocular will do really ANYTHING a heavier binocular will do. I do make a few exceptions here and there. I have found that the RYUL harness helps with any size binocular(I know folks get tired of me with my RYUL harness comments). Funny how you get used to a LW 8X30/32 and then pick up a LW 8X42(25oz or so)that now feels like a BRICK.

Hello Middle River,

About ten months ago, I purchased the Zeiss 8x32SF to replace my 8x32FL. Yes, it is larger than the FL but the ergonomics are fine. My only issue with the SF was blackouts, which I attributed to looking through my the dividing line of my bifocal glasses, but I quickly learned how to position the binocular and my eyes. YMMV, so always try binoculars and purchase from a vendor with a good returns policy.

In any case, the FL is an excellent glass and upgrading may not be worth your while.

Happy bird watching,

Hello Middle River,

About ten months ago, I purchased the Zeiss 8x32SF to replace my 8x32FL. Yes, it is larger than the FL but the ergonomics are fine. My only issue with the SF was blackouts, which I attributed to looking through my the dividing line of my bifocal glasses, but I quickly learned how to position the binocular and my eyes. YMMV, so always try binoculars and purchase from a vendor with a good returns policy.

In any case, the FL is an excellent glass and upgrading may not be worth your while.

Happy bird watching,
Thank you Arthur... SF's will remain on my radar. The FL's are superb (and tho I'm not terribly sensitive, they do have zero CA that I can detect). But saving a gram or two (or hundred) is admittedly an obsession, so I'll run 8x30SFL's through the paces and then decide. No question I'd miss the bombproof FL build and MIG is always nice.
Blackouts are a funny thing. I think the newer, large eyepiece and wider FOV bins are a def compromise. But as you point out, a little 'accomodation' and muscle memory can overcome any issues.

for me it's the Zeiss 10x 54 HT. granted, a good deal of my use is on the night sky, but one remarkable thing about these binoculars is that they carry like a pair of 10x 50's or even a heavy pair of 10x 42's. they are what i bring with me when 1 size must fit all. the rest of the time, it's either the HT's or a pair of Oberwerk SE 8x 32's which i like quite a lot, and are a little less expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back