• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's your most used binocular? (1 Viewer)

William Lewis

Wishing birdwatching paid the bills.
United Kingdom
I've had a few binoculars go through the stable over the years and generally have more than 1 however there always seems to be one I'll pick up and use much more than the others, currently the 8x56 SLC comes out most often so I wondered as most frequent contributors seem to have more than one binocular to choose from which one's are actually seeing most use? I think it may be enlightening for those looking for a new binocular when a wide choice of optics are available, which ones are getting chosen and why?

For binoculars without IS, my preference is 8x and the main criteria for buying are: Field of view, Capacity to resolve the image, Weight, Price, Warranty.

After "discovering" the IS binoculars, I am interested in 12x magnification; the main criteria for buying are: Warranty, Capacity to resolve the image, Weight, Price.
In this category, only a narrow choice of binoculars is available.

I can do bird watching in a few places and the magnifications (8x or 12x) follow the characteristics of this places.

For binoculars without IS, my preference is 8x and the main criteria for buying are: Field of view, Capacity to resolve the image, Weight, Price, Warranty.

After "discovering" the IS binoculars, I am interested in 12x magnification; the main criteria for buying are: Warranty, Capacity to resolve the image, Weight, Price.
In this category, only a narrow choice of binoculars is available.

I can do bird watching in a few places and the magnifications (8x or 12x) follow the characteristics of this places.
Hi Ted.

Which model are you using? I'm the same 7 or 8x is about the limit. Tempted by a fujinon fmtr-sx 10x50 for wide open spaces when focusing less of an issue and for when I'm camping and want to do a bit of stargazing though. I'm out in the tent this weekend actually so will point these slc's up and see how they fair - im expecting quite well!

Last edited:
Komz 7x30, Svbony SV202 10x50 (kitchen window bino), DDoptics "Nighteagle" DX 10x56 (might turn out to become the new favourite), vintage "Scope" 7x50 super wide angle, Fujinon FMTR 7x50, Kowa 6.5x32 BDII, DDoptics Pirschler 10x45.
Oh, I forgot that I should name just one. In that case the new Nighteagle 10x56 might take the lead. Pretty compact for a 10x56, good optics, long eye relief (I didn't find many so far that I can use with glasses), decent edge sharpness, useful for everything from birding to astronomy, not too heavy to take everywhere (about 950 gr).
But I do like my Komz for its flat field, razor sharp image. Currently thinking about getting another old military optics, the Zeiss NVA 7x40 (DF or EDF).

Komz 7x30, Svbony SV202 10x50 (kitchen window bino), DDoptics "Nighteagle" DX 10x56 (might turn out to become the new favourite), vintage "Scope" 7x50 super wide angle, Fujinon FMTR 7x50, Kowa 6.5x32 BDII, DDoptics Pirschler 10x45.
Oh, I forgot that I should name just one. In that case the new Nighteagle 10x56 might take the lead. Pretty compact for a 10x56, good optics, long eye relief (I didn't find many so far that I can use with glasses), decent edge sharpness, useful for everything from birding to astronomy, not too heavy to take everywhere (about 950 gr).
But I do like my Komz for its flat field, razor sharp image. Currently thinking about getting another old military optics, the Zeiss NVA 7x40 (DF or EDF).
I'd never heard of the night eagle- looks good! Close focus is decent for that type of binocular as well, the slc's are way out at 5m+ so 2.5m is a decent improvement. Good value for money as well.

Hi Ted.

Which model are you using? I'm the same 7 or 8x is about the limit. Tempted by a fujinon fmtr-sx 10x50 for wide open spaces when focusing less of an issue and for when I'm camping and want to do a bit of stargazing though. I'm out in the tent this weekend actually so will point these slc's up and see how they fair - im expecting quite well!
They will be awesome if you get a dark area and clear night.
My FL56's were outrageous looking into the milky way on a scottish pitch black night.
My 10x42's are pretty good too though.

Though I'm always eager to get out birding with my Swaro EL32s on the weekends, the Swarovski 7x21 may be the bins I use the most, lately. This is because unlike my larger EL32, I never hesitate to take my 7x21 when I take the dogs out, and that happens more often than a dedicated birding outing.

Though I'm always eager to get out birding with my Swaro EL32s on the weekends, the Swarovski 7x21 may be the bins I use the most, lately. This is because unlike my larger EL32, I never hesitate to take my 7x21 when I take the dogs out, and that happens more often than a dedicated birding outing.
I think the curio's definitely a winner, I bet there selling like hot cakes, I believe there swaro's cheapest bin at the moment and seem to be selling at list price almost exclusively, tidy work by Absam. Does the case have a belt loop? I must remember to have another look through one when I'm up near cley spy in a few weeks.

I suppose when choosing it's always been the image that makes me want to use a certain optic but having gone down the smaller scope set up route i may one day apply the same to the bins, the slc's are almost exactly the opposite end of swaro's lineup! The always with you options do seem to be getting quite a few most used so far! As your "bad weather birder" tag suggests just that how do they get on when it's a bit gloomy, notice much difference between them and the el?

Last edited:
I think the curio's definitely a winner, I bet there selling like hot cakes, I believe there swaro's cheapest bin at the moment and seem to be selling at list price almost exclusively, tidy work by Absam. Does the case have a belt loop? I must remember to have another look through one when I'm up near cley spy in a few weeks.

I suppose when choosing it's always been the image that makes me want to use a certain optic but having gone down the smaller scope set up route i may one day apply the same to the bins, the slc's are almost exactly the opposite end of swaro's lineup! The always with you options do seem to be getting quite a few most used so far! As your "bad weather birder" tag suggests just that how do they get on when it's a bit gloomy, notice much difference between them and the el?
The pouch that comes with the curio is just awful. Feels low quality, bulky, and the magnetic closure is not confidence inspiring. I am still looking for a suitable replacement for field use. Regarding the brightness, I haven't done side by side comparisons but I have found myself struggling to see details in lower light and in far off subjects more than a few times. I typically have a moment where I am frustrated with he curios, then shrug it off as user error - if I really wanted to be sure I could see in low light, or farther away, then I should have brought my EL32s, and then I recall that I am walking the dogs and should be grateful I have any bins at all. That about settles it in my mind, but more and more, a nefarious thought creeps in, the memory of my Zeiss victory 8x25, which I loved, has more magnification, larger exit pupil, and better ergonomics, and I could get one again...

That's pirschler looks like an ak prism el. Good to see the options available aside from the usual swaro, Leica, zeiss.
It was also sold as the Vixen "New Foresta" but I think the Vixen was only available in 8x56. There were other models that were sold by Vixen/Perl as well as DDoptics like the Lux HR which is sold by Perl as "EscapeED". Not sure who really manufactured those. The new Nighteagle Ergo DX looks very MiC to me. But there aren't all that many 10x56 around and the Swarovski SLC is 5x the price. The GPO 10x56 was also on my list.
In the end I decided to go with the Nighteagle because of price, size, eye relief. Kind of a allrounder. I have two binos with 56mm objective with AK prisms but they are kind of huge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back