• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's your most used binocular? (2 Viewers)

Anyone not into optics who look through my CL8x25's are completely blown away.
It's only the die hards on here, going on about exit pupil, kidney beans, black outs, glare etc etc etc that really care.
NL's and the like (over 2k) are for a very small group of people really into their optics and demand the very very best.
Most folk are happy with a nice lightweight small bino, and it shows.
There's a lot of love for the retrovid, and various pocket binos.
I still rate Conquests as superb, along with Swaro CL's, Leica Ultra's....
'Mid range' stuff is so good, you've got to go some to justify 2 or three times the cost.
I can't.... some can.
I can't ever imagine the need to buy NL's personally, but fully understand those that do.
My little CL's still see more use than my Meostars and never disappoint 👍
Very true, no conquests so far as well which surprises me, it seems small but premium is the key to success!

Am I right in thinking we've not got a single nl yet!

Seems like 32mm and less is a very popular choice, victory pockets being especially favoured along with the retrovids. I've had a good bird up outside the tent with the opticron srga 8x32's this morning, now there collimated properly I'm really enjoying the little guys, all you really need. Lots of fly overs in the environs of the blackwater estuary in England today, I think I'm up to 20 odd species without a great deal of effort!

Will

I'd agree that 32s are increasingly the new go-to size. Here, the tendency to list even smaller bins, and no mention of the NL, I think is more about portability/convenience.... I'd absolutely prefer to use my larger bins more, and have a pair of NLs in the mail now. I think people in this forum are so enthusiastic about having bins at all that they make sure they have something with them as often as possible, even when they don't expect to need them. I may be wrong, but, I know that if the prompt here was which bins do you most prefer to use, my answer would have been different.

I'd agree that 32s are increasingly the new go-to size. I may be wrong, but, I know that if the prompt here was which bins do you most prefer to use, my answer would have been different.
My x32's are my biggest binoculars and you're right that I'd rather look through them, but use my pocket options the most due to the pragmatic fact that they're the only ones I've already got with me.

That said though, being my constant companion makes them also the ones that I'm the most familiar with and I don't tend to think of them as a compromise any more than I would riding the bicycle.

Has it ever needed a service?
Hello William,

It once fell off a chair, jamming the eye cup in the down position. Zeiss USA fixed it under the lifetime guarantee. I suppose that I might have gotten a new eye cup and instructions to replace it myself. I also lost an objective cap and they sent me a pair.

Stay safe,
Arthur

I’d use my 10x40 Retrovids more if I hadn’t lost an opportunity once because the bird was closer than the 5.5m minimum focus distance.
I was using my 8x20 to watch birds, the woods and muskeg foliage today. Nice color saturation, and sharp focus just beyond my feet, without getting wet. Wish the 7x35 could do that.

I’d use my 10x40 Retrovids more if I hadn’t lost an opportunity once because the bird was closer than the 5.5m minimum focus distance.
Wow, I hadn't noticed that the Retrovids have 4m or 5.5m close focus. Anyone might find that seriously limiting. The original specs (2017) were to have been 3 and 4m; switching to SP prisms may not have been such a great idea. (FOV was reduced also.)

My own most used bin now is SLC HD 10x42, and among other things I appreciate its close focus (<2m) which many other 42s can't match, often for insects, frogs etc.

Last edited:
Over the years I've owned nearly 100 binoculars, I really enjoy using binoculars and learning about their different characteristics, the engineering and design solutions behind them, etc. It's such a great hobby! (well, other people like cars, watches, knives or bow ties :D)

I'd say my favourite format is 7x42 or 7x35. However, given their size/weight advantage my most bought format has been 8x32 for quite a while now. It's the one I've used the most over the years. But finally, back in June 2021 I bought my first IS, a 12x36 Canon, which turned to be, by far, my most used binocular for the next 12 months (grabbing it probably more than 75 % of the times). One year later, in June 2022 I bought a Canon 10x30 which has been my most used binocular over the Summer months. Back home in September, now I basically grab an IS 90 % of the time, be it the 12x36 or the 10x30 (otherwise, a light 8x32 or 7x21 for the bike handlebar bag) or a 7x50 in the kitchen window.

This means some really lovely binoculars hardly see any use now (like the ELSV, EII, E (C), etc.). I find this really quite surprising, given that I was initially very skeptical about IS, and have been thinking about it ever since I read the title of this thread, but I find that IS simply gives me more chance of seeing closer what I see in the distance with my naked eye (which for me is the first and foremost goal of binoculars). As a matter of fact, I guess I'll have to let go of some of the unused binos, nice as they are.

Over the years I've owned nearly 100 binoculars, I really enjoy using binoculars and learning about their different characteristics, the engineering and design solutions behind them, etc. It's such a great hobby! (well, other people like cars, watches, knives or bow ties :D)

I'd say my favourite format is 7x42 or 7x35. However, given their size/weight advantage my most bought format has been 8x32 for quite a while now. It's the one I've used the most over the years. But finally, back in June 2021 I bought my first IS, a 12x36 Canon, which turned to be, by far, my most used binocular for the next 12 months (grabbing it probably more than 75 % of the times). One year later, in June 2022 I bought a Canon 10x30 which has been my most used binocular over the Summer months. Back home in September, now I basically grab an IS 90 % of the time, be it the 12x36 or the 10x30 (otherwise, a light 8x32 or 7x21 for the bike handlebar bag) or a 7x50 in the kitchen window.

This means some really lovely binoculars hardly see any use now (like the ELSV, EII, E (C), etc.). I find this really quite surprising, given that I was initially very skeptical about IS, and have been thinking about it ever since I read the title of this thread, but I find that IS simply gives me more chance of seeing closer what I see in the distance with my naked eye (which for me is the first and foremost goal of binoculars). As a matter of fact, I guess I'll have to let go of some of the unused binos, nice as they are.
Hi Yarelli.

I'm surprised there's not more people mainly using i.s as there go to binocular. Having had a go with them I'm in no doubt that the detail levels are superior in most situations to a conventional binocular. There's a few reasons that myself and quite a few others haven't adopted them but I don't think there ability to get detail at range can be doubted, good choice! I wonder how many will be using them if I ask this in a decades time, I think your probably just ahead of the curve 😉

Will

very intersting read.... never tried any myself.... maybe i need to change that.
What is your recommendation as the best??

I'm surprised there's not more people mainly using i.s as there go to binocular.
Despite the monumentally lesser load carrying capacity, not to mention speed/time conservation and shelter from the elements, I still walk and bicycle a lot, out of choice, and don't see it in terms of compromise so much as choosing between whichever mode of transportation is going to be more efficient, more practical, or more enjoyable.

What makes live theater superior to recorded, televised performances? Can't answer the question without knowing the time constraints and preferences of the viewer.

Same goes for the decision to take a boat, car, bicycle, motorhome, horse, walk, snowmachine, dogsled, paraglider or swim. It all boils down to the individual and it's interesting to note how the electronics aided binoculars are presented so often as the only choice for the rational man.

Why should it be that we can't simply enjoy our lives in a way that we find enjoyable without being looked upon as fools for not choosing the same way as others think we should? Constantly instructed not to be sheep, then instructed to follow the enlightened ones.

I enjoy my ancient jalopy technology binoculars and if I ever decide to get a set of the electronically stabilised ones, I'd like to do so because I feel interested enough, and not due to being told that they're superior and that I'd be foolish not to follow the pied piper.

Despite the monumentally lesser load carrying capacity, not to mention speed/time conservation and shelter from the elements, I still walk and bicycle a lot, out of choice, and don't see it in terms of compromise so much as choosing between whichever mode of transportation is going to be more efficient, more practical, or more enjoyable.

What makes live theater superior to recorded, televised performances? Can't answer the question without knowing the time constraints and preferences of the viewer.

Same goes for the decision to take a boat, car, bicycle, motorhome, horse, walk, snowmachine, dogsled, paraglider or swim. It all boils down to the individual and it's interesting to note how the electronics aided binoculars are presented so often as the only choice for the rational man.

Why should it be that we can't simply enjoy our lives in a way that we find enjoyable without being looked upon as fools for not choosing the same way as others think we should? Constantly instructed not to be sheep, then instructed to follow the enlightened ones.

I enjoy my ancient jalopy technology binoculars and if I ever decide to get a set of the electronically stabilised ones, I'd like to do so because I feel interested enough, and not due to being told that they're superior and that I'd be foolish not to follow the pied piper.
We'll said. I totally agree. Although there is a majority here going for small ish premium non i.s models that's not to say it's in any way a consensus that there the best or better than other options. It's just people expressing there personal preference given there optinions, budgets and uses, but it's interesting and I think food for thought for those who aren't going down that route and likewise for those that are to see others preferences.

Hi Yarelli.

I'm surprised there's not more people mainly using i.s as there go to binocular. Having had a go with them I'm in no doubt that the detail levels are superior in most situations to a conventional binocular. There's a few reasons that myself and quite a few others haven't adopted them but I don't think there ability to get detail at range can be doubted, good choice! I wonder how many will be using them if I ask this in a decades time, I think your probably just ahead of the curve 😉

Will
As @Trinovid very wisely pointed, personal preferences are a, well, very personal thing. On the one hand, they can be linked to each individual background or environment. For example, it rarely rains where I live, so the lack of waterproofness is not a major concern. I lived in the UK many years ago; the same IS Canon that serves me well in sunny Ibiza, would have stayed home many days in London. Then, over here it's usually bright and sunny, and I don't do a lot of forest or "covered/shady" environments, so the fact that neither the 12x36 nor the 10x30 are extremely bright is not a problem either. Even the terrible close focus of the 12x36 is not a deal breaker, since I do a ton of marsh/wetland here, where close encounters with birds are unusual. And so on and so forth. Then there's the sheer personal preferences and "feel" with any given binocular. For example, I've used may extremely praised models that have left me cold as ice, unable to understand what all the fuss was about. I think that's partly the beauty of it, and especially the reason we like to use forums like this, to read about what other people think and feel. And finally, regarding their future. Well, I'm no collector, I try binoculars and keep what I like, which is usually what I end up using. I've let go some "sacred cows", because they simply didn't work for me, or I simply did not used them enough to justify keeping them, even if I liked them. (FL 7x42 -three times!!!-, FL 8x32 and 10x42, SE 8x32 and 10x42, UVHD 8x32 and 7x42, Habicht 8x30 and 7x42, CL 8x30 and many more), even if they're considered masterpieces.

So at the moment I'm enjoying what IS can give, especially because when out birding what matters the most for me is the fact of being able to see detail, in order to identify unknown species or appreciate detail in the ones I already know, to learn more about the subtle details in their plumage. But this doesn't mean that if I find something I like more in the future, I might end up using other models more (same if my circumstances change). That's the reason I said I've been surprised by the discovery that after more than 1 year since IS entered my "birding life", it has basically stablished itself as my default tool, except if I'm going hiking/climbing/cycling/light.

But, again, this doesn't mean that I don't enjoy other binoculars I have. As a matter of fact, what surprised me when I asked my self the question that is the title of this thread is that I discovered the surprising truth:

• Are IS 12x36 or 10x30 your favourite binoculars? Nooooooo, by no means, they're plagued with faults.
  • What's your most used binocular? IS 12x36 and 10x30

There are other threads asking things like "what is your favourite binocular?"
Then my answer is usually something like: my favourite model is probably the Zeiss FL 7x42, although the one I've used more consistently over the last couple of years is the ELSV 8x32. In fact, some years ago I bought an FL 7x42 and it just blew me away, I've never used a more pleasurable binocular, but I ended up not using it a lot (in favour of other 8x32 models) so I sold it. I missed 7x42 it, so I bought a Leica 7x42 UVHD, which blew me away as well, but the memory of the FL was itching, so I bought another one to compare it with the UVHD, and I kept the FL, because every single time I look through it it blows me away... but I ended up always grabbing a 8x32, so I sold that second FL 7x42 again. Time passed and I missed the 7x42 FL, and when I saw a chance, I bought it again, it kept blowing my mind... but it ended up staying in the cupboard... so I ended up selling it for a third and last time. That's why I say I'm not collector, I keep what I use.

very intersting read.... never tried any myself.... maybe i need to change that.
What is your recommendation as the best??
Bear in mind that, as I explain, I've just used IS for little over a year, there are forum members with a wealth of experience with many many models over many many years. I've only had 3 Canon, 8x20 IS, 12x36 IS III and 10x30 IS II. To my surprise, the toyish and plasticky 400 € 8x20 IS outperformed my Swarovski 8x32 ELSV in resolution (tried it many times and I could read things at distance with the 8x20 IS that simply were unreachable with the ELSV). Even at 8x, where many people think IS is not as relevant, it makes a huge difference. That was really a shock. But then, the 8x20 IS has the field of view of a 10x, and since IS makes 8x and 10x basically equal in terms of shake, I got the 10x30, which I'm quite chuffed with, in spite of its many shortcomings.

I can understand that IS is not for everybody, the same way a Swarovsky EL is not for everybody or a Nikon SE is not for everybody, even if they're great devices. Every single model has its pros and cons, and only personal preferences can make you prefer one over another. As has been said above, sometimes there seems to be a "pressure" to make you like/prefer/appreciate a certain model, even a certain level of performance, when in reality you might as well prefer another one. Take the (relatively) humble Opticron 8x32 Traveller ED. I'm amazed by that model, I've had it for 3 years now and every single day I use it (it's my "sport"/active model) I'm amazed. I've bought other more expensive and "superior" models to replace it, but it just fits me so well, that in the end I've end up keeping it. I think it will probably outlive my most treasured model (the 8x32 ELSV) in my binocular cupboard. So there you have it. Try and see if you like it. :)

Last edited:
Currently my CL 7x21 since my other kit is still in a container somewhere en route. But that little thing is doing a very sterling job. No regrets splashing out on it.

Currently my CL 7x21 since my other kit is still in a container somewhere en route. But that little thing is doing a very sterling job. No regrets splashing out on it.
That little Curio 7x21 became my most used binocular for a bit, and I still very much enjoy it. Probably the best all-around pocket binocular for the widest range of users.

Chinon 8x40 which I've had from new. Chinon could make better glass than Pentax and eventually became Kodak Japan. Maybe a bit heavy but comfortable to use and can take a bash. You can pick them up used for about £15 quid.
We've got newer but I always end up using the old ones, bright wide field, easy to focus.

Kowa Genesis 8.5x44.
Top bins them. I had a good go with them a few years ago, the way they totally stamp out c.a is amazing. I think they give one of the clearest views you can get down to that alone. I liked the 8x33 version a lot too, I'd probably have a set of the 33's if funds allowed although I'm usually quite averse to Schmidt pechans in general.

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

Back