• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Venus Pool ... nr. Shrewsbury . (1 Viewer)

I've learned later today that yes , this one ( because of time of year ) is believed to be a ( qoute ) ' free-flying escape ' . So , there you have it . I'll be honest though , had I seen it , it would've made all 3 of my list's regardless ! ( life , year and patch ) .

Corn Bunting's have made a welcome return , I'm yet to see a definate one , had a poor sighting of a slightly dumpy looking bird in amongst several Yellowhammer ... couldn't be 100% what it was . But ! thay are there ... I'm looking forward to seeing one ... soon I hope .

Saw 2 Corn Bunting today at VP , taking my site list to 115 species !! ( and my year list to 101 species ).
Managed to see Crossbill and Black-necked Grebe while I was off ... two nice additions to both year and life list's . :D

The Bittern has been making brief appearences pretty much every day now for about a week , although I still haven't seen it yet this year , proving a very tricky year tick !! Also of note was a 1st winter male Scaup yesterday , which I also missed !! ( :( ) .. and single male Pintail and Gadwall also seen in the last few day's.
The Corn Bunting's are continuing to show frequently as are 5 Bewick Swan's just a couple of mile down the road at Cressage .

Got Bittern today !! :D well chuffed ! Goosander there today also as was the male Gadwall plus 4 Corn Bunting in the top field ... a good morning birding me thinks !! :)

Bittern again today , flew over briefly @ 14:30 hrs !! Corn Bunting and c.70 Lesser Redpoll were about all else there was worth mentioning and a Chiffchaff on the 10th March and a female Merlin on the top field on that day also !

The last two visits have produced quite an array of bird's the best being the following ( seen on either the 4th or 5th April ) :-

Osprey .
Swallow .
House Martin .
Sand Martin .
Whinchat .
Chiffchaff .
Willow Warbler .
Yellow Wagtail .
White Wagtail .
Little Ringed Plover .

More to follow soon ....

9th April 04 . 08:00-09:45 .

The Osprey put on a spectacular display this morning , hunting for fish over the pool ! Hovering for short periods and then diving ! As it rose up from diving it would 'shudder' it's wings to remove any water on them ... brilliant behaviour I never knew they did ! On it's 3rd dive it did catch a good size fish and fly off and unfortunately the show was over !! It had lasted nearly 15 minutes though , so I'm certainly not complaining . Brilliant morning !!

Still rather peed off at having missed the Wood Sandpiper two days earlier I went this morning expecting little ! However , I arrived at 05:40am and soon got excited as I heard a Cuckoo calling not too far off . So , I attempted to mimmic the call and sure enough about 30 seconds later I caught a brief glimpse of it flying over the nearby tree's . Brilliant ! my first of the year .
About an hour later I enjoyed fantastic views of a couple of Reed Warbler climbing up the reeds and occaisonaly chasing off the odd Sedge Warbler which they had decided had got near enough to them .
As I reached the car I heard a bird calling , looked up and saw a male Whitethroat perched on the telegraph wire , calling away , apparently unbothered about me stood just 10 feet away .
And to cap it all , on the way to work shortly after leaving I saw a Hobby flying across the sky .... nice day !

N.B. Today , my site list reached 128 species !

Last edited:
Recently had an excellent view of a Bar-tailed Godwit , the second to drop in so far this year plus one was @ Wood Lane earlier in the year . Not bad considering not a single one was seen in 2003 in Shropshire !
A stunning pair of adult breeding plumage male Ruff also visited briefly recently . Good view's still to be had of Reed and Sedge Warbler whilst Garden Warbler and Whitethroat take abit more patience .
But , all this is nothing compared to the Pectoral Sandpiper which has been at Wood Lane for the last three days !! :^O .... fair play .

Last edited:
In the last week both Garganey & Wood Sandpiper have visited - although for only short periods ! The Little Egret numbers have risen fron two to six !!! Greenshank & Green Sandpiper are infrequent visitors also while Common Sandpiper numbers today counted as high as twelve ! There was also five Snipe , one Dunlin , Seventeen Teal , fifteen Shoveler and two Green Woodpecker .
Garden , Sedge , Willow and Reed Warbler are still relatively easy to see while Lesser Whitethroat proves slighty more tricky ! Whitethroat & Chiffchaff are also relatively easy around the reserve !

Excellent view of Goshawk yesterday ! Also about : 5 - Little Egret , 1 - Green Sandpiper , 6 - Snipe , 6 - Curlew & 1 - Common Sandpiper .

The Pectoral Sandpiper was certainly still around @ mid-day ( a first for VP incidently )! The Little Egrets have numbered as high as 6 but are generally only around either late evening or early morning . No sign of the Osprey .

This evening's count ( 16/08 . 18:20-21:00hrs ).

1 - Pectoral Sandpiper .
1 - Green Sandpiper .
2 - Common Sandpiper .
2 - Dunlin .
5 - Curlew .
3 - Black-tailed Godwit .
1 - Snipe .
1 - Ringed Plover .
4 - Little Egret .

Osprey was seen on & off earlier in the day .

Last edited:
Two further great sightings in the last week :-

Long-eared Owl - this little beauty showed well and stayed for at least two days , a first for VP !

Little Stint - also showing well & still present , to the best of my knowledge , since Sunday !

It's all good stuff y'know ? :D

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back