• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bluebird pair/nest/house/problem!!!! (2 Viewers)

Momof4

United States
Hi! I’m at a loss and unsure what to do about the bluebirds that made a nest in my birdhouse. Please contribute if you have any help for me!!

Here’s the situation. I had a chickadee house hanging in my maple tree in front yard. This spring, I happened to notice that bluebirds were trying to get in it!! I believe they were the ones who pecked at the hole to make it bigger! Luckily I noticed and went to Menards and bought a house with a bigger hole and hung it in the tree.

Before long, they were frequenting my birdhouse daily and I could see them with nesting materials as they went in. So, I’m certain they made a nest this spring.

We had a very odd spring here in central Illinois. Warm, then chilly, then very windy and warm and wet! (The moisture is welcomed as we had a drought last year!) Admittedly, I was very worried about my bluebirds!! I was so afraid the house would fall out of the tree, it was that windy!!! So, during one spell, I moved the house closer to the trunk of the tree so it wouldn’t dangle around so much in the wind. After the spell, I would put it right back. It didn’t appear to bother my pair that I moved it for their safety.

I even peeked in the hole a couple times, to see mommy bird dutifully sitting on her nest! Daddy regularly would bring back food to the hole and fly off again. He kept a good eye on the house. This happened all spring.

This past Thursday, the odd behavior began!! We noticed daddy bird sitting on a statue right in front of my picture window and was looking into the house. The next day, they both were flying back and forth, to and fro, but occasionally going to the house. The following day, my husband saw daddy bird looking in a different window. And, now today, I see daddy looking in my basement window!!!

It feels like he’s asking for help. I’ve never seen this happen before, since we have only lived here 2 years. I’m so so so happy to have gotten the birds to my yard, but I don’t know what happened!!! There’s no sign of eggs. No sign of babies. And the parents seem flustered.

Should I clean out the house so they can try again?? Maybe I should just let nature take its course??? At what point do I clean the house out with some non-scented soap so that hopefully more will build a nest there in the future?? I don’t know enough about bluebirds to know what is the problem and next steps. Please advise!!:)

Hi! I’m at a loss and unsure what to do about the bluebirds that made a nest in my birdhouse. Please contribute if you have any help for me!!

Here’s the situation. I had a chickadee house hanging in my maple tree in front yard. This spring, I happened to notice that bluebirds were trying to get in it!! I believe they were the ones who pecked at the hole to make it bigger! Luckily I noticed and went to Menards and bought a house with a bigger hole and hung it in the tree.

Before long, they were frequenting my birdhouse daily and I could see them with nesting materials as they went in. So, I’m certain they made a nest this spring.

We had a very odd spring here in central Illinois. Warm, then chilly, then very windy and warm and wet! (The moisture is welcomed as we had a drought last year!) Admittedly, I was very worried about my bluebirds!! I was so afraid the house would fall out of the tree, it was that windy!!! So, during one spell, I moved the house closer to the trunk of the tree so it wouldn’t dangle around so much in the wind. After the spell, I would put it right back. It didn’t appear to bother my pair that I moved it for their safety.

I even peeked in the hole a couple times, to see mommy bird dutifully sitting on her nest! Daddy regularly would bring back food to the hole and fly off again. He kept a good eye on the house. This happened all spring.

This past Thursday, the odd behavior began!! We noticed daddy bird sitting on a statue right in front of my picture window and was looking into the house. The next day, they both were flying back and forth, to and fro, but occasionally going to the house. The following day, my husband saw daddy bird looking in a different window. And, now today, I see daddy looking in my basement window!!!

It feels like he’s asking for help. I’ve never seen this happen before, since we have only lived here 2 years. I’m so so so happy to have gotten the birds to my yard, but I don’t know what happened!!! There’s no sign of eggs. No sign of babies. And the parents seem flustered.

Should I clean out the house so they can try again?? Maybe I should just let nature take its course??? At what point do I clean the house out with some non-scented soap so that hopefully more will build a nest there in the future?? I don’t know enough about bluebirds to know what is the problem and next steps. Please advise!!:)
Most likely the nest has been predated....perhaps by a bird ( woodpecker or crow ), rodent ( grey squirrel) or snake. The usual adage being as you say, let nature take its course. You can try to relocate the box elsewhere to see if the pair try again, but unlikely for this season.

Welcome to Birdforum.

I’d leave the nest box alone until the end of summer - September.

Please don’t peek into nests or nest boxes as it could cause the parents to abandon the nest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back