• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Remarkable Svbony SV202 10 x 42 ED Binocular (1 Viewer)

Hello Everyone,

I thought you might be interested in my review of a most remarkable binocular I recently purchased and tested; the Svbony SV202 10x 42 ED

Hope you find it of interest,

Kind Regards,

Neil.
Hello Neil

I have recently purchased the Sbvony SV202 10x42 ED binoculars. I've been birding since the early 1970's and I must admit they are absolutely excellent "for the money". They are exactly how you describe them. Crisp, clear and even good in the hand. Great binoculars for someone on a budget or just starting birding, wildlife watching etc, or anyone who just wants a nice pair of optics.

Thank you for your review, that's what made my mind up to try a them.

All the best

Tony

Am I correct that any of these MIC low-cost binos are by definition 'disposable' should anything malfunction?
That alone would ruin it for me,... sorry.

No, It was a comment from someone who has the early Zenrays still, and he compared them to the SV Bony. But as there so many of these start up these days it would not surprise me if they came from the same place of manufacture, with a different brand name.
Bing-bloody-go!

Short answer: NO, these industries are not located in large population centres. They are located where their resources are: suitable clay for ceramics and brickworks, coal for brickworks and steel production, limestone for cement making. These are not necessarily where people are living, but even if you discovered a massive coal deposit under a city the cost of resuming all the private houses would be prohibitive, not to mention all the political problems. These waste heat proposals also ignore the costs of installing all the piping necessary to heat domestic housing, all for less than 6 months a year. In the remainder of the year you'll still have to vent the waste heat.

I see you still subscribe to the overpopulation canard. Back in 1984 I was doing some analysis on resource intensity in developed and developing economies, which involved looking up population figures. I was struck by the fact that ALL of the Western European countries had essentially ZERO population growth - without immigration they would have had negative population growth. That's true for every developed country - the underlying fertility rate is below replacement. Developed countries that do have higher rates of population growth - USA, Canada, Australia - do so due to higher immigration because not only do immigrants directly add to population but they also tend to be in their childbearing years. Without the immigrants they would also have negative population growth. That same process is ongoing in the developing world, as the population's income grows they have smaller families. This is conveniently ignored by the eco-warriors whose underlying aim is to keep the people of developing countries desperately poor in the name of their great god The Environment.

The truth that the eco-warriors don't want you to hear is that overwhelmingly the environment is getting better, not worse. Buildings and monuments in Britain that were black from decades of coal burning domestic fires are now clean, London no longer suffers from its deadly peasouper fogs. The rivers in the UK are cleaner than 100 years ago. Same goes for all the other developed countries. That environmental cleanup will also happen in India and China as their people become wealthier. As for the so-called "climate crisis" how can there be a crisis if there hasn't been any discernible warming trend in the last 20+ years? Have you noticed that we no longer hear about "global warming", it's now "climate change". Well the climate is always changing in a cyclic fashion, as anyone that examined the records of 20th Century temperatures can attest.

I don't want this thread to divert into an environment wrangle. If you wish to continue the debate please message me directly.
There ya go with that LOGIC stuff, again!

Picked up a set of Svbony 10x42 from Amazon recently for £70 (had a voucher code and they were in the sale).
Comparing them to some Nikon 10x42 MHG's that I have I would say they have at least 90% of the image/build of the Nikon's.
For £70 they are an absolute bargain.

Will definitely be keeping them

Thanks for the feedback Astroguy2000.

They absolutely deserve great success; one of the best binocular bargains of our times and a key product featured in my up-and-coming book.

For what it's worth; the 8 x 42 SV202 is the only full-size roof prism binoculars I now use. No desire to upgrade.

Wishing you many years of great viewing with your 10 x 42!

With best wishes,

Neil.

IMG_5582.jpg

Hi everyone is these binoculars really good ? For first binoculars with a budget of about 300€ /350€ is it a good idea to start first with them? For birdwatching is it on? And finally some people speak about defaults but to be honest is there really default like this blue Line ? Thank you

Hi everyone is these binoculars really good ? For first binoculars with a budget of about 300€ /350€ is it a good idea to start first with them? For birdwatching is it on? And finally some people speak about defaults but to be honest is there really default like this blue Line ? Thank you
With that budget there are better options. And for a beginner, the 8x42 format is more recommended. I suggest you try some pairs in a nearby shop

With that budget there are better options. And for a beginner, the 8x42 format is more recommended. I suggest you try some pairs in a nearby shop
I would be keen to hear what you recommend below €300 which is better than the SV202 8x42s?
And, exactly why you believe they are better?

There are several threads like this in the forum. E.g., Looking for Binocular recommendations in the $300-$500 range.
It really depends on what you are looking for in a pair..
I have many many binoculars.......but do believe that the SV202s ( I have 7 pairs) are indeed very good for under €300 price range. The link you sent was over €300.....

Have you compared SV202s yourself against many others? What can you report?

I have many many binoculars.......but do believe that the SV202s ( I have 7 pairs) are indeed very good for under €300 price range. The link you sent was over €300.....

Have you compared SV202s yourself against many others? What can you report?
I own the Celestron Nature DX ED 8x42 and just recently also bought the Svbony SV202 10x42 (literally arrived 2 days ago).

In terms of build quality, yes, the SV202 is all metal while the DX is polycarbonate. However both have an equally good focuser. And at least to my eyes, both seem to be equally good. I'm very sensitive to CA and it's marginal but present in both. Collimation is perfect on the DX and almost perfect on the SV202. Glare seems to be more noticeable on the SV202.

Until not too long ago, the Celestron Trailseeker was hovering around the $300 mark, so likely it would be a step up. The Celestron Regals, have a flat field, and also can be found around $300 sometimes. So if I go by my experience with the DX, I would say either of those are good.

I have no idea what else is available in Europe around this price point but I would believe Opticron and Kite have models in there, and if I was buying I would certainly look at those.

(My own budget was under $200 each time, and nothing comes close to the SV202 in terms of the full package)

I own the Celestron Nature DX ED 8x42 and just recently also bought the Svbony SV202 10x42 (literally arrived 2 days ago).

In terms of build quality, yes, the SV202 is all metal while the DX is polycarbonate. However both have an equally good focuser. And at least to my eyes, both seem to be equally good. I'm very sensitive to CA and it's marginal but present in both. Collimation is perfect on the DX and almost perfect on the SV202. Glare seems to be more noticeable on the SV202.

Until not too long ago, the Celestron Trailseeker was hovering around the $300 mark, so likely it would be a step up. The Celestron Regals, have a flat field, and also can be found around $300 sometimes. So if I go by my experience with the DX, I would say either of those are good.

I have no idea what else is available in Europe around this price point but I would believe Opticron and Kite have models in there, and if I was buying I would certainly look at those.

(My own budget was under $200 each time, and nothing comes close to the SV202 in terms of the full package)
I have these too ...

IMHO....
The Regals are definitely tops....with the FF and wide FoV....the most costly in UK too.
The SV202s are equal to or marginally better than the Trailseekers, at a considerably cheaper price. With the Nature DX in last place.

I haven't found any better around this price point....as Neil originally highlighted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back