• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Product Review: Canon IS 8 x 20 (1 Viewer)

Neil,

Thank you for a very carefully thought out and well written review. It adds to its relevance that you compare it to the Leica Ultravid, which is perhaps the optically most competent yardsticks in that size category you could find.

I happen to have both of those binoculars also (well, actually, the Canon I bought for my wife, but I get to use it if needed).

The only disagreement I have with your findings concerns the ergonomics of the Canon. Of course, handling is subjective and what suits one may not suit another, but I find the Canon better to hold and handle than the Leica.

This is probably due to my very long experience using the bigger Canons, first the 15x50 and then, and currently, the 10x42. With these, the best hold is having your palms reach slightly under the binocular body, with your thumbs reaching upwards towards the base of the eyepiece tubes. Your wrists are almost vertical, and fingers curling over the top of the binoculars with your preferred forefinger resting on the focus knob and right middle finger on the stabilisation button.

This grip works extremely well for me with the 8x20 also. On either side of the battery compartment, the 8x20 prism/eyepiece housings have contoured indents which guide your thumbs into the right place. An added benefit of this way of holding the binoculars is that is less tiring to the arms, which are essentially held vertically from elbows up to wrists.

The normal (for most people) way of holding a binocular with your hands coming more from the sides, elbows angled out, does not work as well with these.

I hope this helps.

- Kimmo

Hello Kimmo,

Many thanks indeed for the feedback.

I really enjoyed testing these new small IS binoculars. Optically they are very fine indeed - up there with the best pockets in my opinion. That was a really pleasant surprise! They are as easy to use as smaller compact binos such as an 8 x 30 or 8 x 32. Eye placement is less finicky than using the Leica Ultravid 8 x 20, that's for sure.

I'm a total newbie to these high-tech binoculars, and I concede that with more frequent use, they will become more easy to hold stably. No doubt your long-time use of larger Canon models has helped in this regard.

It's all about practice!

With best wishes,

Neil.

I wonder how many IS binoculars Canon sells, the 10x42 likely leads in sales. It is a wonder why other leading manufacturers who make binoculars have not followed.

I wonder how many IS binoculars Canon sells, the 10x42 likely leads in sales. It is a wonder why other leading manufacturers who make binoculars have not followed.
I recall reading somewhere that most of the patents for image stabilizer technology are held by Canon, Nikon and Sony. They use such technology in their camera businesses. Binoculars are a small side show, even for Nikon.

Another manufacturer would have to either license the technology or reinvent it. Kamakura's recent 30mm (10/12/14x) and 42mm (12/16x) units rebranded by Kenko, Opticron, Kite, Sig Sauer, Bresser etc may be an example of the latter.

The Big 3 names in binoculars do not have much expertise in electronic image stabilization. The cost of self-development today is likely prohibitive, and licensing still requires extensive R&D to apply the technology in what is ultimately a niche market.

I recall reading somewhere that most of the patents for image stabilizer technology are held by Canon, Nikon and Sony. They use such technology in their camera businesses. Binoculars are a small side show, even for Nikon.

Another manufacturer would have to either license the technology or reinvent it. Kamakura's recent 30mm (10/12/14x) and 42mm (12/16x) units rebranded by Kenko, Opticron, Kite, Sig Sauer, Bresser etc may be an example of the latter.

The Big 3 names in binoculars do not have much expertise in electronic image stabilization. The cost of self-development today is likely prohibitive, and licensing still requires extensive R&D to apply the technology in what is ultimately a niche market.
Leica are very tied in with Panasonic who have long used IS so there's a possibility there. I'm not sure what the current relationship between Zeiss and Sony is but they've worked closely on the camera side in the past. I would have said that Swarovski were the least likely, but of course they're the company who brought out the digital id monocular so they're clearly not afraid of electronics.

Leica are very tied in with Panasonic who have long used IS so there's a possibility there. I'm not sure what the current relationship between Zeiss and Sony is but they've worked closely on the camera side in the past. I would have said that Swarovski were the least likely, but of course they're the company who brought out the digital id monocular so they're clearly not afraid of electronics.
Leica+Panasonic is basically Panasonic cameras with Leica-branded glass. Ditto Zeiss+Sony. Much simpler/cheaper than Leica or Zeiss building a binocular using Panasonic/Sony IS electronics.

Remember that for all 3 big names in binoculars, their real money is made elsewhere (microscopes, lithography equipment, colored glass etc) so IS binoculars would be a small part of a small business, essentially guaranteed to not earn back the R&D cost.

Canon can (and does) recycle IS technology from its camera business, so there is an internal subsidy.

(I wasn’t sure whether to open a new thread, or simply write impressions in an already existing review thread about the binoculars. I was afraid of duplicating and creating a lot of "noise", so I’m writing here hoping not to upset the OP (or hijacking the thread), but contributing to the share knowledge/experience base that this forum is, and concentrate it in one place. Should it be out of place here, I’m happy to delete it from here and open a new thread).

After one year of pretty intense use of a Canon IS III 12x36 (with its ups and downs, that I explained here) and after the positive reviews by several forum members, like Canip, or Neil here, I've decided to try the smallest Canon IS, which in theory should make up for three of the biggest drawbacks I found on the 12x36: size/weight, image quality and close focus. I received them a couple of days ago and I can’t speak a lot about the optical performance yet, but here are a few impressions about the shape, size and handling, with some pictures that I hope can help put the Canon IS 8x20 in context.

Although the Canon are 8x20, because of their size and weight I think 8x32 are their natural rivals. So here it is compared to a very compact 8x32, the Opticron Traveller ED and a largish 8x32, Swarovski EL (well, dwarfed by Zeiss’s latest SF 8x32).

Canon820_02.jpeg

The Canon are 430 g on my scale (including batteries), which is lighter than the pretty light Traveller (at 450 g). However, the Canon are surprisingly thick, more than I anticipated, so this makes them feel less nimble (which is something I really appreciate in 8x32/30; the fact that they don’t weight much, the barrels are thinner than 42x and are so easy to grab, even singlehand).

Canon820_03.jpeg

As a matter of fact, when I compared them to my 12x36 IS III I was in for a small shock, because the barrels of the 8x20 feel at least as thick, if not thicker, than those in the 12x36. I did a very simple test. I lied both flat on the kitchen counter and put a leveled book on top of the two… and the 8x20 is the thickest! If you look at the picture below in detail, you can see that there is a 1 or 2 mm gap between the 12x36 and the book (while the book is resting on top of the 8x20).

Canon820_04.jpeg

I was a bit underwhelmed by this. They are shorter than the 12x36, but probably not as much as I anticipated by reading the specs and watching pictures and videos.

Canon820_01.jpeg

It is still too soon to know how I’ll get on with these, but size-bulk and weight are a crucial asset of the 8x32 breed for me (probably the reason I don’t think I’ll ever have an 8x32 SF, even if I could afford it, nor an 8x32 Nikon EDG), so their sheer thickness doesn’t look very promising.

First glances through the 8x20 confirm that the perceived image quality is higher compared to the 12x36 IS III. They look sharper (the 12x36 offer a somewhat soft image compared to say an EL, or even less expensive devices), and CA is minimal, even under high-contrast and bright light conditions. Close focus is probably less than the specified 2 m (but I find I have to change the IPD to get a comfortable view). All these are 3 of the things that I was looking to improve upon the 12x36, and the little Canon seems to deliver. So far so good.

Then it comes the "dreaded small exit pupil" issue. As I experienced recently with the super comfy 7x20 reverse Porro Nikon 7x20 CF III, in my case I've discover that the finicky eye position, the low levels os user-friendlyness and general "less than stellar" experience with 8x20 and some 8x25 double hinge models was not the size of the exit pupil, but the size of the eyecups, and the use of a single hinge. Yes, this probably are not as easy and fast to use as some 8x32 (yet, I find huge differences between some 8x32, the EL being my favourite, basically I find they work like an 8x42, so easy to find the right position and never an issue with blackouts), but the 8x20 are just a "regular" pair of binoculars: there are more comfortable binoculars and there are less. For example, I'd say I find them more comfortable and offering a bigger "ease of use and eyecup comfort" than a 7x35 Retrovid or a 8x32 Meopta Meostar to name two great binoculars that I simply can't use due to ridiculously narrow eyecups. It was not the exit pupil: it was the eyecups (and double hinge, in the case of some great 8x20 like Leica Ultravid or Swarovski Habicht, that I found basically unusable for me). This has been quite a discovery for me: I found it in the 7x20 Nikon and confirmed it with the Canon.

I’ll be using them over the next weeks to have a better feel of what it's capable of. As for today (mind you, just two days of use, so I’m writing this here more as a personal note for reference than a serious statement), I’ve compared them with other 8x and found the image a bit dark (to my surprise). Today I’ve done a back to back test with two very different and distinct flavours of 8x: a huge 8x56 with AK prisms, the Vixen New Foresta, and a Swarovski EL SV 8x32. In broad daylight (around noon, month of May, Mediterranean sun, hardly any cloud in the sky), looking at the almond tree in the garden, where greenfinches and flycatchers like to linger, both the bark and the leaves looked noticeably brighter through the Vixen (unexpected, I would have assumed the Canon would beat the Vixen on daylight brightness) and the EL (well, that was expected, given the price difference). At first I thought it could be the relatively narrow FOV, but looking at different areas exposed to sunlight/shadows, the Canon offered a distinct less bright view to my eyes. In terms of contrast and sharpness, actually very nice, nothing to complain about, even at the official retail price. And then, reading text and details at distance (number/license plates) the Canon was simply able to show what no other 8x was able to. Always impressive what IS can do.
Changing from the 8x to a "middle-class” 10x (Kite Falco 10x42), depending on the conditions, the Falco sometimes matched the Canon resolution, but other times it simply didn’t allow to read what the IS 8x could. In no test did the 10x surpass the IS 8x20. This was pretty impressive. I didn’t have any “conventional” 12x at hand, but it would have been interesting to see if the 8x20 IS also surpassed a conventional 12x. (Yes, I could have used the Canon 12x36 without the IS, but since their ergonomics are so strange, I think a regular 12x42, be it roof or Porro, could be held more steady, but just guessing here).

Comparing the IS system of the 8x20 and the 12x36 ISIII, I really like the fact that you don’t have to hold the button all the time; this is a leap in usability, seriously (although you could use the 8x20 that way if you wanted for a quick glance at something). Otherwise, it is "click and forget” for 5 minutes (or click again to turn off). Nice. The IS on the 12x36 works great, so I don’t think I can see a terrible improvement there. I mean, the image quality of the 8x20 is better to begin with, and the stabilized image doesn’t soften as the 12x does when you press the IS. I guess the new system is probably better, but I had 0 complains about the 12x36 in that area. Something that surprised me is that the 8x20 makes a pretty loud “clunk” when it’s engaged. It’s completely silent when in operation otherwise.

So, these are some early findings.

Last edited:
Hello Yarrellii,

Thanks for your very interesting contributions to the thread, comparing the performance of the little Canon IS 8 x 20 to other high-spec instruments.

Feel free to continue at your leisure.

With best wishes,

Neil.

Ps. Feel free to also send some of that lovely Mediterranean sun my way; I could do with more of that just now!

Last edited:
First glances through the 8x20 confirm that the perceived image quality is higher compared to the 12x36 IS III. They look sharper (the 12x36 offer a somewhat soft image compared to say an EL, or even less expensive devices), and CA is minimal, even under high-contrast and bright light conditions. Close focus is probably less than the specified 2 m (but I find I have to change the IPD to get a comfortable view). All these are 3 of the things that I was looking to improve upon the 12x36, and the little Canon seems to deliver. So far so good.
Yep. CA is indeed minimal, even if there's high contrast and in bright light.
Then it comes the "dreaded small exit pupil" issue. As I experienced recently with the super comfy 7x20 reverse Porro Nikon 7x20 CF III, in my case I've discover that the finicky eye position, the low levels os user-friendlyness and general "less than stellar" experience with 8x20 and some 8x25 double hinge models was not the size of the exit pupil, but the size of the eyecups, and the use of a single hinge.
I believe the construction of the eyepieces may also play a role.
I’ll be using them over the next weeks to have a better feel of what it's capable of. As for today (mind you, just two days of use, so I’m writing this here more as a personal note for reference than a serious statement), I’ve compared them with other 8x and found the image a bit dark (to my surprise). [...] At first I thought it could be the relatively narrow FOV, but looking at different areas exposed to sunlight/shadows, the Canon offered a distinct less bright view to my eyes. In terms of contrast and sharpness, actually very nice, nothing to complain about, even at the official retail price. And then, reading text and details at distance (number/license plates) the Canon was simply able to show what no other 8x was able to. Always impressive what IS can do.
I agree with your findings. However, I feel contrast and sharpness are so good, especially for a binocular with such a small exit pupil, that I can happily live with the slightly darker image. And as soon as you use the stabiliser it beats any conventional 8x32/8x42 on the market.

BTW, you should try the 10x42 IS some time even if you may well find it too heavy for your linking. It's a true alpha - but with a stabiliser.

Hermann

Thank you Yarreli for your interesting review.
I would like to ask you if you have been able to make a comparison between the Canon 8x20 IS and the Leica Ultravid 8x20, at the optical level I mean... brightness, sharpness, contrast, color representation, warmth in the image, I would be very interested, I am looking for something So... although when it comes to handling I understand that the stabilization system is a great plus... but I think we can't say that the Canon is pocketable, right?

@Pepitogrillo

The original poster included in his review a comparison between the Canon IS 8x20 and the Leica Ultravid 8x20, it's here: Product Review: Canon IS 8 x 20. | Neil English.net

As for pocketability of the Canon IS 8x20, I'd definitely say that it is by no means a pocket device (despite what "8x20" might indicate). It has the dimensions and weight of an 8x32, which I wouldn't call pocketable (well, everyone's pockets are different! 😂). Simply have a look at the picture on the above mentioned review by Neil:

IMG_1949-1-rotated.jpg

And on Canip's review on this very forum, here:

trinovid-canon-ultravid-jpg.711617

Given how large (and thick) they are, I'd say the Canon were not designed to be called "pocket binoculars" (canon has, in fact, older "pocket models", reverse Porros). In fact I haven't seen that claim of "pocketability" on Canon advertising, that goes in the line of "Portable, steady and compact" (but not pocketable). As it seems, all the IS mechanisms take up quite a lot of space, so forget these are 8x20 and think of them as a rival to conventional 8x32, but not a pocket device.

Regarding their optical preformance, I'm still starting to use them, so it's still soon to say much, but I can update you on my findings. As I wrote in my initial post regarding the 8x20, I come from the 12x36 IS III which I find very good in several areas, but lacking in others, which are the ones I'm specially interested in: image quality (contrast/sharpness), weight, chromatic aberration. This morning I've put the 8x20 IS through a quite rigorous test: birding at noon by the water. One of my everyday birding areas are the salty water ponds of the local Natural Reserve, home of flamingos, white shelduck, black-winged stilt, ospreys and the like. Under the bright sunshine, the light reflected is a "CA killer" and it can make many otherwise good binoculars suffer.

Picture through binoculars aren't usually a good way to measure quality, but sometimes can show details similar to what the eye can see (be it a flaw, a distortion pattern, etc.). In this case, it shows more or less what my eyes could see. A couple of stilts some 50 - 80 m away under the scorching sun. Usually, the black and white plummage and thin legs are an ideal "home" for CA, but I've been surprised to find basically non on-axis, and a very minor amount towards the edge. Check the contour of the legs, it's actually quite impressive, especially coming from the 12x36 IS III; better than my expectations.

Canon820_05.jpeg

Other area where I've been pleasantly surprised has been weight. These weight very little (430 g) and can be held for hours with little effort. In fact, the low weight and the fact that you don't have to press the IS button all the time (like in the 12x36 IS III) makes a completely different holding technique possible. It's enough to cup your hands and wrap your fingers around the, ahem, "generous surface area" to get a rock steady view.

Furthermore, the IS 8x20 fit on my favourite case, the one from a Nikon Monarch 7 8x30, which you can wear on the belt without anyone noticing... not even yourself! This might seem as a stupid or minor thing, but when it comes to compact daily binoculars, it's actually quite important for me. It's not only what you have, it's how you are able to carry it and use it. Nice!

Canon820_07.jpeg

I've fitted it with my favourite strap, the Swarovski CCS, that makes going from pure "neck" strap position to bandolier style a breeze. I still have to give it a rain guard, because it came with two "old style" independent covers, bound to be lost on the first excursion.

So, image quality, getting better every time I use it (there's the small FOV, but I have to use it for a while to see how that works out; at the moment it feels a bit limited, to be honest), weight/size/bulk/portability, also nice (maybe not as nice as I was expecting), and now for close focus.

Canon820_06.jpeg

While I was in a bird observatory watching the avocets fly by, a curious local lizard (Podarcis pityusensis) has come to check what I was up to. Moving swiftly from less than 1 m to around 3 m away from me. I've followed it and enjoyed the lovely colours (the picture, through the binoculars, lacks the spark and bright of the live encounter), and have enjoyed the close focus that I was missing in the 12x36 IS III. In the big 12x36 it was not the end of the world, but the 6 m felt a little on the short side sometimes. I'm still not sure about the focus speed on the 8x20, I have the inital impression that it feels a little slow at times, but have to use it more. Anyway, a nice thing about the IS on the 8x20 is that you don't have to press the IS all the time, so it makes taking pictures through the binoculars easier. With the 12x36, the fact of pressing the button meant my hand was in tension, under pressure, and I felt that could produce a slight shake. On the other hand, with the 8x20, you simply hold the binoculars with little effort (given the low weight but thick body), and the smartphone with the other hand. It's amazing the level of stillness you can achieve singlehanding an IS device. In fact, because the fingers of the "holding" hand are free, I can even re-focus to get a sharper image of the subject. Yes, I know this is a very minor detail, but taking pictures through the binoculars is a daily habit for me, for register/documentation purposes, and to solve doubts back home. Yes, I could carry a pocket camera... but I already carry one in my smartphone, so I find it unnecessary and actually the opposite of what I want when using compact binoculars in order to "go light".

By the way, does anyone know to what these 8x20 correspond in traditional camera objective focal length in mm? I don't know if you could do an approximation thinking that a 50 mm is 1x, then 8x would be... similar to a 400 mm objective?

Last edited:
It magnifies the image 8x, so approx. 8x whatever camera lens one is using.

It depends on the format size, i.e. the sensor size.

A standard full frame sensor is 43mm diagonal, so a standard lens should be 43mm, but 45mm, 50mm, 52mm, 55mm, 57mm and 58mm are all called standard.

Close up the Canon 8x20 might be 9x?

Regards,
B.

I believe the construction of the eyepieces may also play a role.
This is interesting. I'm a bit lost when it comes to eyepiece construction, beyond the basic understanding of the number of lenses and how they're grouped, and the fact that "simpler" solutions can be smaller/lighter, like in the Porro Habicht models. My experience with small exit pupils but large eyecups has been really revealing, but it comes from two completely different devices. The Nikon 7x20 CF III is all about lightness and compactness, and besides it's inexpensive, so my understanding is that the design of the eyepiece must be very simple. On the other hand, the eyepieces of the 8x20 IS seem way more complex (and large), but in both cases they offer a "regular view" (or, should I say "big binoculars view" with configurations (7x20 and 8x20) that "popular knowledge" takes for granted are finicky, which I experienced in double hinge designs with small eyecups like the UV 8x20, Habicht 8x20 and Zeiss Terra 8x25. In my personal experience (just through my eyes) getting a comfortable view through these 3 was a bit of a pain, an using them for more than a quick glance simply too much of a chore. On the other hand, the Nikon 7x20 CF III, the Canon 8x20 IS and also 100 € a Minox BV 8x25 (single hinge) offer very reasonable levels of ease of view and viewing comfort. These are the reasons why my conclusion was that the "troublemakers" were narrow eyecups and double hinges.

I agree with your findings. However, I feel contrast and sharpness are so good, especially for a binocular with such a small exit pupil, that I can happily live with the slightly darker image. And as soon as you use the stabiliser it beats any conventional 8x32/8x42 on the market.
Absolutely. If you don't compare them directly with other 8x, brightness is OK, and sharpness and contrast are really good, and CA is everything I wanted and then some.

BTW, you should try the 10x42 IS some time even if you may well find it too heavy for your linking. It's a true alpha - but with a stabiliser.
Just for the mere pleasure or experiencing that image, I definitely have to do it. Where I live there's no chance, but maybe in a visit to a large city one day. What I'm getting more and more interested is the 10x32 IS. My 8x20 has a limited 6,6º FOV at 8x, but the 10x has a 6º at 10 (so AFOV is far superior), while the exit pupil is larger than my 12x36. If CA and general image quality are related to the 8x20, I think it can be a really interesting device. Still heavy for me, at 800 g, but maybe it's merits can make up for that. The 10x42 seems simply too large and heavy as an everyday bino. Maybe as an specialized tool, say a 15x or something similar, I could accept those drawbacks, but even if the view is the best there is (as it seems it is), I don't think I'm ready for it... but the smaller and lighter 10x32.. hmmm 😏

@Pepitogrillo The truth is that I found a good deal on a 2nd hand 8x20, so the 10x20 was never in my mind. Since 8x20 is already a quite "particular" configuration, with a smallish exit pupil, I preferred to err on the safe side. But I can't deny I'm curious about the 10, given how well the IS works on these and the nicer than expected image quality. However, many an experienced forum member warns about how extreme the 2 mm exit pupil on the 10x20 is. Anyway, if I have the chance, I'll see if I can try it for myself.

Yarrellii,

Thank you for a very good report and equally good updates. Keep them coming.
As the 10x Canons go, the 42 IS L has much less CA than the 32, which unfortunately has quite a bit. Like Hermann says, the 10x42 L IS is a true alpha, providing you get a good sample. One of its strengths is exceptionally low levels of spherical aberration for a binocular, giving it an edge both for sharpness and contrast.

The little 8x20 is really well baffled, with deeply recessed objective lenses. You have probably already noticed this, but it excels when viewing towards the sun. It also excels for one-handed viewing.

Enjoy,

Kimmo

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back