• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Newbie (1 Viewer)

Hello all,
I'm new to photography and have purchased my first camera which is a nikon p1000. I know nothing about camera setting, so would love a little help on setting it up....I love bird watching but would like to capture great pictures to look at.....any help would be really appreciated..
thanks
Daren

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum (y)
We're glad you found us and please join in wherever you like. ;)

I'm going to move your thread to the Nikon section of the Forum and hopefully you'll get some help.

Had mine since they came on the market. Never any problems with it, I tend to use Bird setting. This is basically auto with multishot (up to 7 ) and preset zoom. I set the zoom to 500mm but in use you can just zoom in and out to suit yourself. Most times I do a burst of 3 or 4 shots of birds.

Not much more to say really, the Snap back button is very handy for picking up a small object, I set mine to medium.

I have also removed the hood from the front of lens and attach the lens cover with a cord so I can unsnap it and let it hang while walking about, kept missing shots while removing it and then what to do with it :)
I use the manual ring a lot, especially for birds on water or on the ground at any distance, that can be set for more or less sparkling, but is very usefull for birds in trees or bushes.

Forgot to add, makes a good telescope :) :)

Superb camera, solid as a rock.

Den

Had mine since they came on the market. Never any problems with it, I tend to use Bird setting. This is basically auto with multishot (up to 7 ) and preset zoom. I set the zoom to 500mm but in use you can just zoom in and out to suit yourself. Most times I do a burst of 3 or 4 shots of birds.

Not much more to say really, the Snap back button is very handy for picking up a small object, I set mine to medium.

I have also removed the hood from the front of lens and attach the lens cover with a cord so I can unsnap it and let it hang while walking about, kept missing shots while removing it and then what to do with it :)
I use the manual ring a lot, especially for birds on water or on the ground at any distance, that can be set for more or less sparkling, but is very usefull for birds in trees or bushes.

Forgot to add, makes a good telescope :) :)

Superb camera, solid as a rock.

Den
Hi Den, have you got a list of setting to initially set camera up from setup menu screen....
Daren

Hi Daren and a warm welcome from me too.

I have the older version the P900 and love it. I also have mine set on the Birdwating Programmed setting, with multishot (7 images) selected. I generally just let the camera get on with it, though if I'm shooting against the sky I adjust the EV (on the multiselect wheel) to suit. I think the "snap back" facility that Den talks about is on mine too... but didn't know it was called that LOL. If you lose track of a bird... say it's moving about in a tree. Press that button and it will zoom out, hunt for a bird and zoom back in on it. It's successful more than half the time.

I have Aperture Priority set for taking macro shots.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hi Darren

And welcome to the forum.

I have the P950 and I also just leave it on the birdwatching setting. I just set it to the burst mode and images to fine.

Enjoy your new camera

Kindest regards

Stu

Hi, thanks for that....as it's a new camera out of the box, what setting do I need to change on the setup menu..
Ie image quality....raw , fine etc
Lots of setting to adjust but where is a good starting point.
Thanks daz

Hi, thanks for that....as it's a new camera out of the box, what setting do I need to change on the setup menu..
Ie image quality....raw , fine etc
Lots of setting to adjust but where is a good starting point.
Thanks daz
Hi Darren Just go fine in the settings menu and continuous in the Birdwatching menu that's all I use bud.

Check out various settings vid on you tube there are loads of tutorials on there that may be beneficial to you.

Cheers Stu

Thanks guys....mind boggling, hopeful pic some tips up
Hi mate

I sent you a private message with a decent link to a video.

Don't be overwhelmed by the P1000 the beauty with digital cameras you can delete photos and return settings to default. So Don't be afraid to experiment you can't mess anything up.

Cheers Stu

Hello all,
I'm new to photography and have purchased my first camera which is a nikon p1000. I know nothing about camera setting, so would love a little help on setting it up....I love bird watching but would like to capture great pictures to look at.....any help would be really appreciated..
thanks
Daren

Daren,

The good news is that the menu is simple in these cameras.

It could be a wise move to keep the settings on neutral, i.e. picture control, sharpness, contrast and saturation. Anything you want to add to your picture, do it in photo editing. You probably don't want to go above ISO400 with these cameras. Try aperture mode, let the camera deliver the shutter speed.

Active Dynamic Lighting: I still haven't worked out when it's most useful and when it's not, there seems to be no rhyme nor reason with it at times.

Don't get frustrated if you think your pictures haven't turned out as you hoped. Think about the conditions and what's in the background: you'll soon get a handle on what's beyond the camera's capabilities.

These are good cameras. You'll get your great pictures, it'll take a little bit of time though.

One to just keep in mind for farther down the road: Nikon's own photo editing software makes a much better job of the colours than third party software and it's free.

Any further details you'd like on any of the points above, 'happy to help.

That is one way to do it and probably needed in really low light. For better light, try shutter control as shaking of the camera is easy with long shutter time (unless you use a tripod or similar firm support). Good post processing can salvage a lot of high iso problems. Disclaimer: I am using a different camera with somewhat different sensor but still think this is relevant.
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back