• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thinking of buying a new OM-1 mk2 (1 Viewer)

...as Ive only started getting into photography of birds
You want a better camera, yes. That feeling never goes away; all of us want a better camera.
There is a lot to learn as a beginner, and you don't need the latest premium gear to pursue it. It is easy to find barely used equipment at a reasonable price. I say get a used setup and use the crap out if it. If you still are into bird photography at that point, then go ahead and spend the big bucks.

I have the OM 150-600 mated with a OM-1 - images are crystal clear hand held at 600 (1200). I use to have the Oly 100-400 with 1.4x and the 150-600 is far a superior set up

What's the weight difference do you know ?
I haven’t the exact figures for weight, but I did purchase a Peak Design Slide Strap so I could use the supports on the lens rather than the supports on the camera so subconsciously I felt that the weight was too much for the cameras mount. I can still shoot handheld without any issue though, the camera and lens have sync stabilisation, the same as you’d have if you were using the 300 F4 Pro lens. The only reason OM haven’t classified the 150-600 a pro lens is because it has a variable aperture, which doesn’t bother me.

The latest review contains this
It’s hard to fault the OM System OM-1 Mark II. Yes, it’s similar to its predecessor, but the differences are huge ones – including one that’s so significant, I wish every camera had it. In my opinion, this is the ultimate outdoor camera: it’s astonishingly weather-proofed, its compactness is unparalleled, it negates the need for both ND filters and grads, it matches full frame sensors for ISO noise and actually beats them for dynamic range, the improved autofocus is super-reliable even for birding, and the 2x crop factor is a secret weapon for wildlife.

Going for the Mk2, just need to decide on the lense. Decided against the prime as prefer zoom. So I guess its between the 100-400mm and the 150-600mm but weight wise the other half is going to want the lighter one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back