• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2023 (22 Viewers)

Now that I've got my primary targets sorted thanks to the good folk on here (Balearic Warbler - Boquer Valley, Moltoni's Warbler - Cuber and Eleonora's Falcon- Sa Dragonera), my thoughts are turning to other species it would be nice to catch up with again if time allows.

Bonelli's Eagle is a possibility at several locations I will be visiting, it would also be nice to see Marbled Duck, Red-knobbed Coot and Purple Swamphen again, it has been several years.
Is s'Albufera the best option for the last three or perhaps Maristany? If the former can anyone advise a particular area as I realize it is a large site. I also appreciate s'Albufera is 'the jewel in the crown' and worthy of at least a day there, but I am blessed with good wetlands locally so would prefer to focus my limited time on species we don;t get in SE Europe.

Thanks in advance for any input,

Chris

Hi Chris
All three of those can be seen best at s’Albufera I think.
Maristany will not have them all but it’s worth a while there anyway as there is lots of migration today, including:
Whinchat, Willow warbler, Sub-alpine warbler, Wheatear, a yellow-browed warbler I believe and a superb photo by Maties of a Montagu’s harrier at Can Cuirassa.
Things are on the move!
Mike

Bonelli's Eagle is a possibility at several locations I will be visiting, it would also be nice to see Marbled Duck, Red-knobbed Coot and Purple Swamphen again, it has been several years.
Bonelli's the best place is Mortitx
Red-Knobbed coot is only possible to see at Sa Roca, Information Center s'Albufera.
Purple Swamphen: Possible in Maristany, there are 2 pairs there, but quite much easier at Sa Roca Info center too.
Marbled Duck, latelly they are difficult to see in Albufera, but around 20-30 in Maristany.

Hi Chris
All three of those can be seen best at s’Albufera I think.
Maristany will not have them all but it’s worth a while there anyway as there is lots of migration today, including:
Whinchat, Willow warbler, Sub-alpine warbler, Wheatear, a yellow-browed warbler I believe and a superb photo by Maties of a Montagu’s harrier at Can Cuirassa.
Things are on the move!
Mike
Many thanks Mike, much appreciated!

Chris

Bonelli's the best place is Mortitx
Red-Knobbed coot is only possible to see at Sa Roca, Information Center s'Albufera.
Purple Swamphen: Possible in Maristany, there are 2 pairs there, but quite much easier at Sa Roca Info center too.
Marbled Duck, latelly they are difficult to see in Albufera, but around 20-30 in Maristany.
Many thanks again Pep!

Was planning to call in at Mortitx on our way back from Cuber so fingers crossed. Hopefully I will get to both Albufera and Maristany.

Chris

What an enigmatic song! It seems like a puzzle, and the truth is that I don't know what else to say. I've been looking at the sonogram and comparing it to different species that may sound similar (even with some rarities), and it doesn't fit well with any of them. It seems pretty sure to me that it is not a Western Olivaceus Warbler, but sometimes I find the recording to be good for the Blackcap subsong, other times it seems better for the Garden Warbler subsong. On the other hand, either there are imitations or there were other birds in the background, because sometimes the typical "chilp" of the House Sparrow is heard, and at other times typical Nightingale sonograms are seen. So, I have no idea what it could be, let's see if someone manages to solve the mystery!

What an enigmatic song! It seems like a puzzle, and the truth is that I don't know what else to say. I've been looking at the sonogram and comparing it to different species that may sound similar (even with some rarities), and it doesn't fit well with any of them. It seems pretty sure to me that it is not a Western Olivaceus Warbler, but sometimes I find the recording to be good for the Blackcap subsong, other times it seems better for the Garden Warbler subsong. On the other hand, either there are imitations or there were other birds in the background, because sometimes the typical "chilp" of the House Sparrow is heard, and at other times typical Nightingale sonograms are seen. So, I have no idea what it could be, let's see if someone manages to solve the mystery!

There was a large colony of House Sparrows very close so you may be hearing that in there. I had stopped in the area as there were migrants everywhere (30+ Pied Flys, Redstart, 3 Whinchat and lots of other birds moving through) and I was actually watching a juv Woodchat at the time (first time I’ve seen one in the area) when I heard it. Likely it will never be solved but glad it wasn’t just me finding the song strange. It’s a very complex sub song, and some definite mimicry within it. I still can’t get past the silhouette of the warbler itself though, it was large and had a substantial bill so makes me think not a Sylvia warbler at all.

Hi everyone!
I also listened to the song of that mysterious warbler quiet a few times now and I also think it´s not a Iduna opaca, which sounds a little faster to my ears. Hippolais languida is way quirkier and faster as well, and has some repetitions in its song, which that mysterious one lacks. I was thinking of some Sylvia´s subsong, too, but that thought gets eliminated by the physical description of the bird. But none of the bigger Acrocephalus´ songs or subsongs do match either. The last thought I had was that this bird is an escaped one of an unknown species to me. And this doesn´t help at all.

Fabian

Hi everyone!
I also listened to the song of that mysterious warbler quiet a few times now and I also think it´s not a Iduna opaca, which sounds a little faster to my ears. Hippolais languida is way quirkier and faster as well, and has some repetitions in its song, which that mysterious one lacks. I was thinking of some Sylvia´s subsong, too, but that thought gets eliminated by the physical description of the bird. But none of the bigger Acrocephalus´ songs or subsongs do match either. The last thought I had was that this bird is an escaped one of an unknown species to me. And this doesn´t help at all.

Fabian
Maybe Marsh Warbler?

I was playing Marsh warbler half the night yesterday as it is known for its mimicry.
I just wonder if that fits with your physical observations ryanfrost?
I have just been sent the annual report on pdf and the paper version is at the printers.
I will give a summary when I have read it and also when I am more awake.
A full day out at the London museums with my five year old grandson has finished me off for the day.
“Hecho polvo”, as they say in Spain.
Mike

Marsh Warbler was another of my original thoughts, but the profile and bill length of the bird pretty much rule this out. I was lucky enough to see Marsh Warbler in the UK this year (very scarce) and it doesn’t fit the shape of the bird I saw.

There used to be a reliable site for Marsh warbler in the UK and we went every year. I think it was Folkestone.
No other news today but migration seems to be well under-way so good luck to anyone out in the field today.
Mike

I looked up large-billed European warblers and there is quite a choice so it might be worthwhile to have a look. Blyth’s reed warbler doesn’t fit on song but it looks good! There may be others.
By huge coincidence, the lads I used to go to see Marsh warbler with have just called to ask me out birding today!
I accepted of course.
Unbelievable
Mike

I looked up large-billed European warblers and there is quite a choice so it might be worthwhile to have a look. Blyth’s reed warbler doesn’t fit on song but it looks good! There may be others.
By huge coincidence, the lads I used to go to see Marsh warbler with have just called to ask me out birding today!
I accepted of course.
Unbelievable
Mike
It’s a mine field isn’t it! I was looking and trying to find similar songsters. It does have a Sylvia feel to it - closest I can get that would fit the size and bill profile are Orphean or Barred Warbler. I should add it was the day after the massive storm that clearly grounded a lot of migrants. The mystery goes on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back