• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2021 (3 Viewers)

Lunch in Colonia Sant Jordi was far too near the salt pans to ignore.
I managed a short visit and it was alive with bird life.
Some of our recent visits have just about drawn a blank but there was lots to see today.
Big numbers of greater flamingoes, a couple of Avocet, Little stint, Dunlin, Redshank, Kentish plover and finally a year tick in the shape of a Knot, not as easy bird to see in Mallorca.
An Osprey was hunting nearby and Red kite and Marsh harrier were looking very active.
I went round the back roads in the hope of seeing Common crane but there were none.
76 Golden plover were on the polo pitch but nothing else.
We are off to Switzerland tomorrow to hopefully see my joint most wanted bird, a Wallcreeper. I’ve waited so many years and my hopes are high.
I will let you know.
Mike
Good luck with the Wallcreeper and I´m looking forward to see some nice photos

Lunch in Colonia Sant Jordi was far too near the salt pans to ignore.
I managed a short visit and it was alive with bird life.
Some of our recent visits have just about drawn a blank but there was lots to see today.
Big numbers of greater flamingoes, a couple of Avocet, Little stint, Dunlin, Redshank, Kentish plover and finally a year tick in the shape of a Knot, not as easy bird to see in Mallorca.
An Osprey was hunting nearby and Red kite and Marsh harrier were looking very active.
I went round the back roads in the hope of seeing Common crane but there were none.
76 Golden plover were on the polo pitch but nothing else.
We are off to Switzerland tomorrow to hopefully see my joint most wanted bird, a Wallcreeper. I’ve waited so many years and my hopes are high.
I will let you know.
Mike
Enjoy your break,Mike.Also "All The Best" with the Wallcreeper.A bird I would love to see and everytime I fly over the Pyrenees,Wallcreeper comes to my mind.

Thanks, that’s great.
I can still get the bird news here when I’m away so I will keep this thread up to date but I’m not getting very much news at the moment.
I have been out a lot recently and can only repeat, despite the recent rains, Mallorca is a fabulous place for winter birding.
It just makes me realize that life will never be long enough, there is so much to see.
Mike

Attachments

• B25CB2A1-DE1D-493D-AB27-71E8C7C68CFB.jpeg
    B25CB2A1-DE1D-493D-AB27-71E8C7C68CFB.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
Glad you are arriving back in Mallorca derban.
If you get time, there is a good selection of waders seen from the Es Trenc road today offering good photo opportunities.
It’s also a challenge to identify them all so if you fancy it, have a go!
We can meet there when I’m back. Good luck, there is a Knot knocking about somewhere, first seen by Jason, so if you can nail that down, a few people need it.
Mike

Adult male Siberian rubythroat! I just have to see one.
Hi Mike if you prolonged your trip to Sweden near Gothenbourg you can see a Siberian rubythroat unfortunately not an adult but 1K male. It has been in a garden- feeding place - for a month now and will probably stay there for a while. Information and pictures can be found on website Dagens fynd - Artportalen
For your information swedish name is Rubinnäktergal

Thanks to Kevin, I’ve just seen a video of the Swedish Siberian Rubythroat. My heart skipped a beat and I got very emotional. I just have to go for the next one.
I also met derban at the airport!
I was leaving Mallorca and he was just arriving. I wished him luck for the salt pans, there’s a lot going on there at the moment.
Going for the Wallcreeper tomorrow. A bit nervous.
Mike

Thanks to Kevin, I’ve just seen a video of the Swedish Siberian Rubythroat. My heart skipped a beat and I got very emotional. I just have to go for the next one.
I also met derban at the airport!
I was leaving Mallorca and he was just arriving. I wished him luck for the salt pans, there’s a lot going on there at the moment.
Going for the Wallcreeper tomorrow. A bit nervous.
Mike
Good luck with the wallcreeper! And what a great coincidence meeting at the airport like that. I t was great to see you both there. Now for the Knot!

No words necessary except my thanks to Mike Swiss for inviting us over and taking us to the site.
Distant but up there with the best birding moments.
Mike

Attachments

• CFB01352-6BE0-4B56-9173-A59CFF0A0431.jpeg
    CFB01352-6BE0-4B56-9173-A59CFF0A0431.jpeg
    607.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 2DC1E9B1-E632-445D-A4B7-DA7710C2E695.jpeg
    2DC1E9B1-E632-445D-A4B7-DA7710C2E695.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • 07219E97-8125-441F-B469-6F1B438270FD.jpeg
    07219E97-8125-441F-B469-6F1B438270FD.jpeg
    909.5 KB · Views: 41
Back down to earth now with two Hen harriers seen from the depuradora, Albufera, a few Common crane in flight and a Sparrowhawk.
Mike
Meanwhile at the Salobrar: after the official handing over of the baton at the airport yesterday, I went down there this afternoon, pretty windy and cold but lots of activity along the Es Trenc road. Spotted Redshank, Redshank, Greenshank, Dunlin, ringed Plover, Little Stint, Black winged Stilt, Avocet, a few Flamingo, countless Shelduck and just as I was leaving an Osprey put in an appearance, unfortunately out of camera shot.

Mallorca091221-1.jpg Mallorca091221-73.jpg Mallorca091221-124.jpgMallorca091221-136.jpg
Back down to earth now with two Hen harriers seen from the depuradora, Albufera, a few Common crane in flight and a Sparrowhawk.
Mike

A Red-breasted merganser was seen at Cala Gamba by Maties.
This patch of the south coast and adjoining calas is one of the bests places to locate these scarce winter visitors.
I’m sure one will stick around for my return and for the visiting birders who are coming in the new year.
Always nice to get one in the bag for the year list.
Mike

Many more Siskins being seen, it’s been quite an exceptional year for them, they seem to be in all suitable locations at the moment.
Also reports of high numbers of Song thrush and a few redwings.
Back in Switzerland, thanks to the skill and knowledge of our host, Mike Swiss, I was able to add another lifer to my world list, the European eagle owl.
It was an extraordinary experience, fully charged emotionally, and what a stunner.
Mike

Attachments

• 1122BEC2-3C1B-4C11-8740-8D4604C1B223.jpeg
    1122BEC2-3C1B-4C11-8740-8D4604C1B223.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 27
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back