• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2024 (2 Viewers)

A quick trip to Bassa de Can Guidet this morning produced Whiskered Tern, Avocet, Common Ringed Plover and Red-crested Pochard along with the usual species. Nothing of note at Prat de Sant Jordi, and a handful of Little Ringed Plovers, Common Sandpipers and Black-winged Stilts at Depuradora de Palma.

Sa Porassa/Magaluf has been quiet except for the Little Bitterns - I saw one and heard at least one other yesterday, but I suspect there are quite a few there at the moment!

Another (?) Golden Oriole was calling briefly at Es Capdella yesterday, I’ve heard them about every other day in the past week here! Otherwise no other migrants about here now, and Griffon and Black Vultures have been the highlights.

Arrived home yesterday after our week on the island - just wanted to thank everyone who shared information, tips and directions!
Whilst it was a family holiday, still managed lots of quality birds, although no island ticks (i think i must have seen Avocet before but not in my notes lol!!) it was such a great week that we have already booked 2 weeks for next spring, so hope to see some of you then!

Today, the last of a thirty day stint on the island. So we decided to try our luck on our own at the Albercutx tower. This resulted in 3 honey buzzard, 2 black kite, 1 adult Egyptian vulture, 2 Eleanor’s falcon and a very obliging balearic warbler.

Overall a respectable 124 species seen over the 30 day period

Our thanks in particular to Geordie Dave for your invaluable advice and expertise and comprehensive reports on the forum.

Thanks also to Mike Montier for managing the forum and for the morning meet at Eddie’s Track and finding the lesser flamingo.

Biel and Pep for your invaluable knowledge of the raptors at the tower on the Saturday mornings we attended.

Thanks to everybody else who posted on the forum during our stay here. Long may it continue

Hasta Pronto!
Sally & Roger

Attachments

• IMG_6029.jpeg
    IMG_6029.jpeg
    492.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6027.jpeg
    IMG_6027.jpeg
    296.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6031.jpeg
    IMG_6031.jpeg
    536.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6026.jpeg
    IMG_6026.jpeg
    312.6 KB · Views: 10
Arrived Saturday pm and then off to Maria de la Salut almost immediately. Got to see Red-footed Falcon but no Lesser Kestrel. TonyCath gave me a good route which enabled me to see 2 x Greater Short-toed Lark (Thanks Tony) which is a Lifer (Bimbo) for me. Heard 4 Quail but no sightings. Also 1 Wheatear. Sunday a.m, see Mike Montier's thread above; seeing an Egyptian Vulture was fantastic (lifer) and thanks to Lalo and Pau for pointing it out. Seeing a Honey Buzzard slowly circle 2 or 3 times right next to Albercutx Tower was fantastic too. Saw several Pallid Swift close up too was nice as I've been after decent views for a while. Sunday p.m, saw a snake (25cm) actually on the Can Cuirassa track; my last snake (100 cm) was also actually on the path to Es Colombars 4 weeks ago. This morning we set off to Maria de la Salut to see Red-legged Partridge and another ST Lark. No Lesser Kestrel; we could hear a few Quail but alas no sightings. Then off to Vilafranca (Thanks Mike M for your map you posted recently) to see Collared Pratincole, Spotless Starling and 4 x ST larks and 2 Little Ringed Plover. The Quail were vocal but extremely shy! At Castle de Santueri there were about 12 Alpine Swift putting on a nice flying display with a sole Crag Martin whilst we ate our lunch. Finally to Porto Colom to get some more nice close up views of about 12 Pallid Swift. (Thanks Stew B). Quail was/is my target bird but after 2 days looking I'm beginning to think I'm wasting my time; still, the fields and scenery around Es Blanquer are stunning.

Hi all, fairly new to birding abroad and visiting next week, staying near Alcudia, so will be spending time at S'Albufera of course.
I'd love to try and get a decent view of a Wryneck, would anyone have recommendations on areas near Pollenca/Alcudia that is good for them? Many thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back