• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Low Barns Nature Reserve (1 Viewer)

Cheers guys, much appreciated. It does really sum up the morning well, change in weather etc. Just goes to show how versatile Low Barns can be.

Had a great couple of hours in the sunshine at Low Barns today. As well as the usual we saw:

4 Treecreeper fledglings with parents
My 1st Chiffchaff
My 1st Willow Warbler feeding its chick
Reed Bunting
Kingfisher
A shoal of about 10 Chub in the shallows on the river

Matt

Kingfisher? Everyone was saying they'd gone altogether!? Where did you spot it exactly? Was a lovely night down there. I got there at 7pm and left at 9ish...

digital85 - We spotted the Kingfisher from the large pebble beach area on the river. It was downstream from us on our own bank. It sat in the trees for a while then made it's way downstream.

If you stay after the gates are closed do you just park in the lay-by outside? Are the hides left open?

Matt

Oh right, I often have a peek there, must keep eyes peeled a bit more :)

We have a key, but if there are spaces at the top we just park there. Hides are open, but are just like saunas after a whole day of sun! Worth a look down at night.

went down for a couple of hours tonight, nothing much about, but did see
Reed Bunting
Grey Heron
pair of Swans with young
Cormorant with large fish in its beak
and highlight of the night a pair of Kingfisher on the main lake near the south hide

good day at low barns today saw 23 diffrent spiecies
Blackbird 2
Chaffinch 15
Coot 11
Dunnock 3
Great Tit 10
Grey Wagtail 6
Mallard 44
Mute Swan 4
Oystercatcher 1
Swallow 4
Treecreeper 3
Black-headed Gull 13
Blue Tit 10
Coal Tit 5
Cormorant 2
Great Spotted Woodpecker 3
Grey Heron 5
Jackdaw 21
Moorhen 3
Nuthatch 3
Pheasant 3
Tawny Owl 1
Woodpigeon 1

went there 10 01 2011.

Frozen ponds and icy underfoot. Still

At the Northumbrian Water Hide we came across a Bittern which was showing exceptionally well near the wood/tyre structure. Colours stood out well against the snow.
Tawny Owl was spooked by a Heron on the Wear bank side. Fieldfare and Redwings where airbourne throughout our walk.
At the feeders we had amongst others Nuthatch, GSW, Marsh Tit, Coal Tit, Pheasant, Moorhen and Treecreeper.

Great 3 hours spent there, my first visit for over 15 years. Well worth the £2.50 car park fee. Will be back in the spring.

At Low barns this afternoon I saw a duck which I was unable to identify, it swam out from some reeds as I walked past so I got pretty good views of it but I havent seen anything like it before. It was smaller than a Mallard and was dark brown colour (mahogany?), it semed to be the same colour all over with no lighter feathers/patches. It had a dark bill and a dark eye. As it swam away it pressd itself flat to the water.

It was on one of the pools below the Northumbrian Water hide.

Matt

We had a trip to Low Barns today and were rewarded with a Kestrel landing in the car park trees as we arrived and leaving no time to get the camera out, and two RB merganser + Goldeneye on the main lake. Highlights of the day I,m afraid, the usually busy bird feeding station was bereft of any birdlife at all, looked like the feeders had just been replenished when we got back there. Still, 2 new location species for us, and the weather was kind .

Marty

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back