• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Low Barns Nature Reserve (1 Viewer)

Yes, South end of main pool. If you keep back from the galvanised stock fence & stand next to the trees the bird comes in close to the south-east shore.
Hope you can get a shot of it.
SE.

Any updates on LB for this year? - I've yet to get there but only spent limited time at the caravan this season (further N on the A68). Wonder if the Swallows will nest in the obs tower again?

Wow! Where did you dig this thead from Steve? There have been a couple of reports this year from Low Barns as I have posted them myself.

I was last there three weeks ago and the birding wasn't too good though I did manage Green Woodpecker seen and head at the eastern end towards the railway lines. Goldeneye, Little Grebe and Pochard were about the only other birds we saw on the ponds. Even the feeders were pretty inactive now that the food supply has been curtailed. I know I've mentioned it before but the reserve still loks devastated following the removal of brush and mature trees last year. I doubt I'll be visiting this year very much and will likely wait until next year when there will be some regrowth. A little disappointing as it was one of my favourite places to visit. I really don't know what got into DWT.

A couple of birding friends who I bumped into at Bishop Middleham for the Black-necked Grebes x2 were on their way to Low Barns today. No doubt I'll see them one evening this week and I'll ask how they got on and let you know.

Someone else may have been in the meantime?

Quacker said:
Any updates on LB for this year? - I've yet to get there but only spent limited time at the caravan this season (further N on the A68). Wonder if the Swallows will nest in the obs tower again?
Hi Steve, would totally agree with Ians post, I was there a couple of weeks ago and was so dissapointed. Low Barns was a favourite site for me but now it just seems devastated, what was an enjoyable full days birding has now turned into a half hour look around. Its seems that so many important habitats have been destroyed, the area where I first saw Crossbill has gone even the favoured spot for Kingfishers has dissapeared, such a shame as this was such a good reserve.

Hi Paul
I agree entirely.
Amateur miss management is & has been rife at LB for a few years now.
(post #3, 2years ago)

One classic example of the mindset of these people:-
We watched a Water Rail there one busy & sunny Saturday afternoon, (at the time it was the first one seen for years)
We returned the following weekend to find 'its' bankside strimmed down to ground level.....
We asked the guy in charge (of the over zealous volunteers) why this work had been undertaken......
"Oh, it'll make it much easier to see the Water Rail without all those rushes & reeds....." !!! :eek!:

Yes, he was deadly serious.
A year or two later he mentioned that "we dont seem to see the Water Rails as much now..."

Also, who's brainwave idea was it to build the artificial Sand Martin bank at the base of a large mound :- below the flood height of the river....

The hides are splendid, but complete overkill for their locations.

It used to be a magical place, the people who've made the recent management decisions wont ever comprehend what they've lost.

rant over

Had a couple of hours at Low Barns this morning to try out my new Aldi Spotting Scope!
Although it was quite foggy and most of the main lake was frozen over we managed to see:

Mute Swan
Mallards
Goldeneye x 2
Treecreeper x2
Moorhen
Grey Heron
Cormorant x 3

On the feeders we saw:

Blue Tits
Great Tits
Coal Tits
Nuthatch

Also heard a Woodpecker near the North Hide, we waited around to try and get a look at it but it didn't show itself. Shame, because my girlfriend really wants to see her first one.

Enjoyed using the scope for the first time although it is a bit awkward in the hides because the tripod legs are a bit long and you can't adjust them. Might invest in a proper tripod or a clamp for inside the hides.

I definitely need some new bins! The ones I am using are rubbish.

Matt

Had a couple of hours at Low Barns yesterday morning.

Overcast, dry and cold.

Not a lot happening on the main lake:
2 cormorant were perched in the trees while a third was hunting on the lake.
A male and female Tufted Duck gave good views.
Usual groups of Mallard and Coots.

On the feeders were Bluetits, Coaltits, L.T Tits, Nuthatch, Chaffinch, Robin, Blackbird, Dunnock.

I saw my first Bullfinch near the small bridge over the stream at the far end of Alder Wood, the colour was stunning against the drab, bare trees.

Also saw Treecreepers, Kestrel and a Woodpecker which I could not I.D properly as it flew away from me into the trees.

I really wanted to see the Goldcrest but they did not show while I was there.

Matt

[QUOTE
Also saw Treecreepers, Kestrel and a Woodpecker which I could not I.D properly as it flew away from me into the trees.

I really wanted to see the Goldcrest but they did not show while I was there.

Matt[/QUOTE]

Matt. Depending on where in Durham you are, Croxdale is a great place for GS Woodpeckers and a couple of Greens are often heard and occasionally seen. Also a great place for Goldcrests. You also should be able to pick up a kingfisher along there

Low Barnes Feeding Station

Called in the Feeding station for a few hours yesterday.
Lots of the usual Blue, Great, Long-tailed, Coal and Marsh Tits, Nuthatches, Chaffinches, Goldfinch, Dunnocks, Robins, Blackbirds.
Bonus was seeing the Male Brambling and good close views of the Goldcrest:t:.
Also a Bank Vole running up the inside of the holed logB :).

Attachments

• Marsh Tit.jpg
    Marsh Tit.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Goldcrest 2a.jpg
    Goldcrest 2a.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Goldcrest 3.jpg
    Goldcrest 3.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Brambling 1.jpg
    Brambling 1.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 66
  • Bank Vole1.jpg
    Bank Vole1.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 55
dannyboy - Where exactly in Croxdale do you mean?

I live in Shildon but dont mind travelling around the area.

Matt

Matt this should most probably be on the main Durham site but I wasn't sure if you would see it. I don't know how well you know the area but to reach Croxdale, take the A167 to Sunderland Bridge and turn off to your left if you have come from Shildon opposite the Honest Lawyer Motel onto the B6300 'Browney Lane' towards Langley Moor. Turn left after 200 metres and continue on the dead-end road, parking at either end of the old Sunderland Bridge. (if you are a tecky the grid ref is NZ273 378 although I never understand these myself). The Kingfisher is often seen from the bridge. Go ahead and enter the estate on foot over the black cattle grid adjacent to the cottage on your left. Walk under the road bridge and then follow the avenue. Keep going straight ahead until you get onto another little bridge,the green woodpeckers have been heard around here. From here keep walking straight ahead keeping Croxdale Wood and Butterby Wood on your left . There are often Goldcrests in the hedges on your right as you walk. If you keep going on the path you will come out of the woods into some open area with small ponds either side of the path. Keep going ahead until you nearly reach High Butterby Farm then turn right up a small marked path into some woods. Walk about 200/300 yards on your left there is an opening in the woods. Last time I was there (last month) there were excellent views of Goldcrests, treecreepers and GS Woodpeckers all from the same spot.
Apart from the varied Birds along the way I love this walk it's most defiantly one of my favourite around our area. Good Luck if you go for it.

Paul

Had a couple of hours at Low Barns on Saturday afternoon, not a lot to see really.

A couple of Reed Buntings and Coal Tits on the feeders as well as the usuals.

Heard the Woodpecker in the Alder Wood but never saw it!

There is a new man made island on the main lake, I wonder if it will attract some more birds. There was a pair of Oystercatchers on it along with 4 Black Headed Gulls and half a dozen Tufties. Goldeneye pair and Corrmorant swimming around the lake.

Matt

Had a brief walk on the south-west side of the reserve before rain stopped play last Thursday 29th April. Sedge Warblers showing nicely in reeds and making a heck of a racket. Pair of Bullfinches playing in the woods by river heading to the hide far west. Linnets on wires. Mute swan on nest, pair tufted ducks. Didn't get to the central lake or main wood.

Andy

Here's a couple from last week at Low Barnes:t:.

BTW the Treecreeper wasn't dead, it looked like it was sunbathing;)

Attachments

• Tawny Owlet 2.jpg
    Tawny Owlet 2.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 135
  • Tawny Owl.jpg
    Tawny Owl.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 132
  • Fox cub 2.jpg
    Fox cub 2.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 101
  • Greylags.jpg
    Greylags.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 88
  • Treecreeper.jpg
    Treecreeper.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 161
was down on wednesday all i saw is a great spotted woodpecker a few tufted ducks
chaffinches
great tits
blue tits
i love low barnes but its so quiet at the moment

Dad and I went down at 7am this morning, had a pair of young owls and guessing a parent on camera within a few minutes. Was really alive. Young lady had been there since 3am, had some nice deer shots.

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

I visited Low Barns this morning and despite the heavy rain manged to see Reed Bunting, Reed Warbler, Garden Warbler as well as the usual. I saw G.S Woodepecker in 3 differnt locations and heard Chiffchaff allaround the site.
The feeders were really busy and as well as the uual there was a lot of Coal Tits feeding new fledglings.
Never saw the owls which have been reported, does anyone know if they are still on site? Can you point me in the right direction to see them?

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back