• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Low Barns Nature Reserve (1 Viewer)

Called in today for a couple of hours. Overcast and gloomy but very mild around 14°C.

A bonus was the Bittern that had just flown in to below the north hide as I arrived, giving superb views for quite a while.

Other birds -

Chaffinch
Great Tit
Blue Tit
Treecreeper
Nuthatch
Goldeneye
Bittern
Great Spotted Woodpecker pair
Tawny Owl (heard)
Mallard
Coot
Tufted Duck
Pochard
Cormorant
Marsh Tit
Mute Swan

Attachments

• Picture 011ao.jpg
    Picture 011ao.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 330
Nice shot Ian, its feet are Huge when you see it walking about!
Ive got a day off tomorrow & am going to try for this species at another site near Durham City, where a bird has apparently been since before Christmas.
Stevie.

Ian...is the Bittern still around? I've got next week off work...Sunday 29th Feb until Sunday 7th March...and Neil has promised to take me to a couple of the Durham sites...as well as Holy Island and, possibly Leighton moss as we have to take an engine over to a friend in the Lakes. Mmmm...wonder if i can flutter the old eyelashes and wangle a visit to the eagles at Haweswater...or would that be pushing it LOL
Oh well, he's always saying that he needs to relax more and lose weight!!!!

GILL

Hi Gill,

I haven't seen any more recent sightings of it reported, but the day I went there hadn't been any for the week before either. Once it's been around a bit then reported sightings tend to dry up. If you haven't been before then it's well worth a pop in just for a look around. recent sightings are posted in the entrance corridor of the visitors centre.

Sounds like you have a great week in store.

Thanks Ian...looks like a fantastic reserve to visit even if the Bittern don't show. I'm not someone who feels like it's been a bad day if i don't see such and such rarity...I'm happy just being out in the open air watching birds!!! And Neil's favourite bird is the Moorhen so 95% of the time we go to a reserve he's happy!!! Great having a hubby who's easily pleased LOL
Looking forward to my week off...feel like I've hardly done any birding so far this year so it'll be nice to devote a week to it....mmmm, must remember to break THAT news to Neil gently!!!

Thanks again Ian...you never know, might see you there!

GILL

Low Barnes Reserve

Gill.Osborne said:
Thanks Ian...looks like a fantastic reserve to visit even if the Bittern don't show. I'm not someone who feels like it's been a bad day if i don't see such and such rarity...I'm happy just being out in the open air watching birds!!! And Neil's favourite bird is the Moorhen so 95% of the time we go to a reserve he's happy!!! Great having a hubby who's easily pleased LOL
Looking forward to my week off...feel like I've hardly done any birding so far this year so it'll be nice to devote a week to it....mmmm, must remember to break THAT news to Neil gently!!!

Thanks again Ian...you never know, might see you there!

GILL

Hi Gill
I was over at the reserve last weekend, unfortunately no sign of the Bittern.
I noticed that in one of your replies that you may call in at the site early March, thought I would inform you that the river path round to the West Hide is closed off Monday to Friday for the creation of New Wetland areas which when complete will further extend the site, however this path way is opened up Saturdays and Sundays. Hope you enjoy your visit if you can get down.

:storm: Had a TERRIBLE week :-C ......went out on Sunday to St Mary's and some retarded youths *note how I'm being INCREDIBLY polite in my description of the inbred morons...don't want to be chucked off BF!!!* ...well, pushed me over as I was looking out to sea on the Promenade point just round the corner from the Lighthouse!!! :C . As the ground was rather snowed over I slipped and grabbed for the handrail to save myself...only to have my binoculars smash against the metal barrier!!! They also pushed my scope and tripod over but as the snow was rather deep it had a soft landing!
Unfortunately though my bins are f****d.....I am NOT a happy bunny!!!!! And I need them for a trip to Langholm Moor with the RSPB Group on 21st March!!! We do have a couple of other pairs of bins in the house but they aren't as good, or suited to my wearing glasses, as my Opticrons :C . Think I am just going to have to perservere with a pair of 8x30's that must be at least 100 years old (Neil has a habit of picking up old pairs at car boot sales and charity shops!)...perhaps I'll be used to them in three weeks' time... :C
SO I didn't get much, well NONE actually :C , birding done this week...really annoyed!!! DID ring up the insurance company but, get this!, the bins weren't covered????!!!!!! So Gilly is going to have to save up and buy another pair...will probably only be a matter of a fortnight or so BUT i wanna go birding NOW *stamps foot*

Anyway, tantrum over, thanks for the info on parts of Low Barns being closed...any ideas on how long it will be for? I'm sure Neil and I will get down some weekend...if not my next hols are in June!

GILL XXX

Hi Gill sorry to hear about your run in with the yob element life would be so much better if people would just let you get on with your own life!
Anyway I was at Low Barnes on saturday and from the notices around the reserve the main lake is accessable from both the north and south hides its just the path down the western edge of the reserve that is closed. There are quite a few redpoll on the reserve at the moment as well as all the birds you would expect there, no sign of Lesser Spotted woodpecker though. The Bittern was there yesterday but took an awful lot of finding the reeds in front of the north hide look cut down and flattened by the wind and you would think there was no way a bittern could hide there but after a couple of hours it walked out of a small reed patch into full view! so even if you think it cant possibly be there persevere and you may be lucky. see my posts on the "hows your 2004 list " thread for a pic:mad:)

Hi Gill,

I called in there today myself.

The Bittern is still there viewed from the north hide along with plenty of Siskins in the fir trees just as you leave the car park.

The path to the west hide will be closed during the week until around Easter. The staff couldn't be any more specific as it depends on the weather. If conditions turn wet then the project will be delayed further as they can't work when it's muddy as the wagons use the main roads and the mud is a big problem.

Pair of Tits........

Called in for an hour this afternoon.
Chiffchaffs & Green Woodpeckers notable imediately on arrival.

All Six Tit species were at the feeding station.

I missed out on an excellent photo oppurtunity when both Marsh & Willow Tit were (briefly but twice) on the same feeding tray together !!!
Also on the feeders were 6Siskin, Nuthatch & GSWpkr.

Lake held 4G'eye 14Cormrant 3G'sander.

StevieEvans.

Hooded Crow today on the lake island, Grey Wagtail on the river and Treecreepers in good numbers also first years sighting of a Mistle Thrush. All in all a very good day out, even the sun came out for ten minutes! ;)

Just visited this reserve today, and it is thanks to this forum that I found it.
I spent an hour and a half walking around. This is what I saw.

At the feeding station.

4 Siskin
Coal Tit
Marsh Tit
Blue Tit
Great Tit
Dunnock
Chaffinch
Nuthatch
G.S.Woodpecker.

I was absolutely delighted when the woodpecker appeared. I have never been this close to a G.S. before, an absolute delight to watch. 2 squirrels also appeared on the feeders. Round the reserve I saw,

2 Curlew
2 Mute Swans
1 Cormorant
T. Ducks
Coot
Moorhen
Greylag Goose.

I know all of these birds are not rarities, but it was an absolute pleasure just being there. I am definitely going again. Can anybody advise on how to spot the Green Woodpecker. Would early morning give me the edge? Are you allowed to walk off the path in the woods? Any advice would be appreciated.

Darrell.

Hi Darrell,
Learn the Green Woodpecker's loud, laughing call. It is very distinctive and far carrying although this species is easier to spot in the open rather than in the woods. More often than not the call will direct you to the bird's whereabouts. I've never been to Low Barns so I can't answer your question about the woodland paths but I would probably say that early morning may be best, like with most species, but is by no means essential.

We have seen it throughout the day but ony in the western end where the earthworks are on the go.

I know others have seen it in amongst the old quarry at the east end. You can still walk about a half mile down there on the paths, but landfill now blocks the full access. As Osborne says you can more often hear it than see it.

Just an update for regulars and not so regulars at Low Barns.

I popped over there today despite the damp weather and had a pleasant couple of hours wandering around. Plenty of birds to see despite the rain. No Green Woodpecker though it has been reported often enough.

The new hide overlooking what used to be the sludge pits is open now. Only a few Canada and Greylag Geese with the Mallard to be seen on there today. I guess it will be a couple of years before the seeded reeds take a good hold and start spreading out.

The North Hide turned out to be the most productive with six Bullfinch, Willow Warbler, Whitethroat, Blackcap, Chaffinch, Great Tit and Blue Tit all feeding on the meadow grasses and flowers on the bank below the hide. Mallard, Teal, Little Grebe and Cormorant on the lake below.

A Kingfisher provided a fleeting glimpse on the island from the South Hide.

Attached are photos of the new hide and the view from it.

Attachments

• DSCN1294a.jpg
    DSCN1294a.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 230
  • Low Barns sludge pita.jpg
    Low Barns sludge pita.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 248
Thanks for that Ian I was only there myself the other week and no hide had been put up then.
I agree with Daz that Low Barnes is such a lovely place to go to you feel as if you are away from all the hustle and bustle of everyday and it is such a relaxing place.

Thanks for the update & pictures Ian.
The new hide looks very impressive..............at the moment..........i hope it remains in that condition...

Curlew Sand & Wood Sand have both already been recorded at the 'new' pools.

Q. 1.
Ian, has the new entrance/exit barrier been put in place yet ?

Q. 2
Ian, have you accidentally removed the postings prior to your last post?...... as there appears to be a rather Large (Huge) Gap between 20April & 17July.?

Steve Evans.

Hi Steve,

1) The barrier is already in place in place.

2) The postings are all still in place. I have been a few times over the last few months but don't update this particular thread very often - just when there is some new development at the reserve. The reserve has been discussed in several other threads more recently, usually in 'My Birding Day'.

Thanks for the reminder Steve, I have been meaning to have a trip up there again. I saw the pair of BN Grebe there last year.

Is it on the main pond?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back