• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CL 8x25 (2 Viewers)

6.3 degrees is adequate for a travel scope for me. Now consider its dimensions: 95x65x45 mm folded and weight: 240 grams. The Swarovski is 110 grams heavier - that's an extra 4 ounces in old money!
If you're satisfied with a 6.3 degree FOV get a Nikon Prostaff ATB 8x25 reverse porro. It is a lot less expensive and a lot easier to use because you don't have to set the IPD every time you pull it out of the case, and it will still fit in a coat pocket. The optics are really very close to the expensive alpha compact roofs, the focuser is bigger and smoother and the eye cups are way more comfortable and larger than an alpha compact roof.

Last edited:
I have decided I want to add a CL 8x25 or CL 10x25. I already have a Trinivod 8x20 and that is a perfect bin for in the pocket. It is not really comfortable in use though. So adding a 25 makes sense imo. I tried CL 25 a few times and prefer it to the VP 8x25 because the latter is a floater. I cannot put it against my eye sockets, but have to hold it a bit in front of my eyes.
The weight isn't a issue too, the CL 25 is light enough. I have not really decided if I want the 8x25 or the 10x25. Having a 8x20 already, 10 power makes sense. However, my main issue with the Trinovid 8x20 is the lack of comfort. So a 8x25 with 3.125 mm exit pupil and larger 8x25 makes sense too.

I have not dediced if I want the wild nature of the mountain too. The length of the strap is important to me. The longer the better (I prefer bandolier style). Can anyone say which one is longer? The coloured strap of the montain? Or the regular strap of the wild nature?
Other things I have to consider between the two options?

I have decided I want to add a CL 8x25 or CL 10x25. I already have a Trinivod 8x20 and that is a perfect bin for in the pocket. It is not really comfortable in use though. So adding a 25 makes sense imo. I tried CL 25 a few times and prefer it to the VP 8x25 because the latter is a floater. I cannot put it against my eye sockets, but have to hold it a bit in front of my eyes.
The weight isn't a issue too, the CL 25 is light enough. I have not really decided if I want the 8x25 or the 10x25. Having a 8x20 already, 10 power makes sense. However, my main issue with the Trinovid 8x20 is the lack of comfort. So a 8x25 with 3.125 mm exit pupil and larger 8x25 makes sense too.

I have not dediced if I want the wild nature of the mountain too. The length of the strap is important to me. The longer the better (I prefer bandolier style). Can anyone say which one is longer? The coloured strap of the montain? Or the regular strap of the wild nature?
There is just not enough difference in the 8x20 to 8x25 in my opinion.
The 8x20 is such a good pocket bino.... but with handling ergonomic issues... but that's what has to be expected.
I would go for a CL 8x30.... which will still be small and light, but a noticeable difference.

I had the CL 8x25, and it was superb, but in the end I found it not one thing nor the other.
A tad too big for pockets, and not as good as an 8x30/32 out of pockets!
I now run the tiny 8x20 Ultravid, always in my pocket or rucksack, and an 8x32 BN for proper use.
Just my thoughts.

Cl 8x25 is a nice binocular though.

Like Rg548, I opted for the 8x20+8x30 configuration (Ultravid + MHG). 8/10x25 is not much smaller than an 8/10x30 and also not as comfortable as a 8/10x30. Your Trinovid 8x20 for pocket, and CL, SFL or MHG 10x30 for more!

I know the Curio would be nice. The big advantage of it is that you can easily put it in your pocket. I do not really care about DOF (I mainly use 12 power at the moment) and do not feel attracted to 7 power as well. AND I already have the very tiny trinovid 8x20 in my pocket and hardly feel it. Very useful for identifying birds or whatsoever. But it lacks comfort. The eyecups are very small. The size of the CL eyecups fits much better. The (a)fov is bigger, the focuser smoother. The knowledge I can put them in my winter coat pocket does attract me as well, although it is quite heavy.

I have a 10x32, so I don't think a 8x30 does add a lot for me. I want something smaller and not too expensive. 8x25 is cheaper, smaller, but still quite comfortable, whereas a 8x20 is a bit finicky for my living as well.

I think I will try the CL 8x25, CL 10x25 and the Curio side by side in a shop first before I pull the trigger.

I know the Curio would be nice. The big advantage of it is that you can easily put it in your pocket. I do not really care about DOF (I mainly use 12 power at the moment) and do not feel attracted to 7 power as well. AND I already have the very tiny trinovid 8x20 in my pocket and hardly feel it. Very useful for identifying birds or whatsoever. But it lacks comfort. The eyecups are very small. The size of the CL eyecups fits much better. The (a)fov is bigger, the focuser smoother. The knowledge I can put them in my winter coat pocket does attract me as well, although it is quite heavy.

I have a 10x32, so I don't think a 8x30 does add a lot for me. I want something smaller and not too expensive. 8x25 is cheaper, smaller, but still quite comfortable, whereas a 8x20 is a bit finicky for my living as well.

I think I will try the CL 8x25, CL 10x25 and the Curio side by side in a shop first before I pull the trigger.
I'll be amazed if you don't get the curio from those choices.
The optics are remarkable.
And I'm a Leica fan🤣

Well the quick foray into Ultravid land is over and it is on its way back. It didn't work with my eye/facial structure and the build quality with the potential seam moulding problem was a true disappointment. I spoke to Leica Customer Services and they asked me to send a photo and a description which I did, three days ago......unlike Swarovski who answer almost by return, I have yet to have the courtesy of a reply.

But back to compacts, having now tested the Ultravid and owning a Terra 8x25, a CL Pocket 8x25 and a 10x25, a Nikon HGL 10x25 and the Curio I would, hand on heart, chose the Curio above all of them. It gives nothing away in optical quality, gives the impression of being much bigger in use than it physically is and is very bright with a fantastic FOV. The difference between its 7x magnification and the 8x of the Pocket is neglibible. I don't know how they have done it but it is a marvel of design and engineering. And it fits in my pocket.

@ReinierB you asked a question regarding the straps on the Pocket CL Nature and Mountain editions. I believe that the length of the orange cord and the flat black straps is the same but like you I often carry bandolier style and that is why the Rick Young Harness is my strap of choice on the Pocket CL's as it is so flexible....literally with its elasticated para cord.

As for eyecups, the Curio's and the Pocket CL's suit me fine and are very comfortable but the gorgeous looking Ultravid's were awful.

If you can, do try them side by side.

Last edited:
Well the quick foray into Ultravid land is over and it is on its way back. It didn't work with my eye/facial structure and the build quality with the potential seam moulding problem was a true disappointment. I spoke to Leica Customer Services and they asked me to send a photo and a description which I did, three days ago......unlike Swarovski who answer almost by return, I have yet to have the courtesy of a reply.

But back to compacts, having now tested the Ultravid and owning a Terra 8x25, a CL Pocket 8x25 and a 10x25, a Nikon HGL 10x25 and the Curio I would, hand on heart, chose the Curio above all of them. It gives nothing away in optical quality, gives the impression of being much bigger in use than it physically is and is very bright with a fantastic FOV. The difference between its 7x magnification and the 8x of the Pocket is neglibible. I don't know how they have done it but it is a marvel of design and engineering. And it fits in my pocket.

@ReinierB you asked a question regarding the straps on the Pocket CL Nature and Mountain editions. I believe that the length of the orange cord and the flat black straps is the same but like you I often carry bandolier style and that is why the Rick Young Harness is my strap of choice on the Pocket CL's as it is so flexible....literally with its elasticated para cord.

As for eyecups, the Curio's and the Pocket CL's suit me fine and are very comfortable but the gorgeous looking Ultravid's were awful.

If you can, do try them side by side.

I will try them side by side before I pull the trigger.
In what cases do you use your CL 10x25? The 7x21 and the 8x25 are more versatile I think, but I see the point of adding a 10x25 since I already have a 8x20 as my real pocket binoculars. (I might add a 7x21 later ;))

I had a 8x25 terra and what I did not like were the too loose hinges. What about the hinge stiffness of the three swaros? I have read that the hinges of the Curio are stiffer, but that might be just a sample variant. I really like the stiffness of the hinges of my Leica 8x20.

I have a Rick Young Harness as well, but use it with my NL 10x32 and EL 12x50 (that's why I like field pro as well. I can easily switch.)
I might consider using it with the CL's as well.
The strap of the Curio is shorter than the strap of the CL 25's?

Too bad the Ultravid 8x20 didn't work for you. I do think they are beautiful and optically better than the trinovid 8x20, but just a tad more comfortable. The swaros are more comfortable in use. And they look very good too, espeically black/anthracite.

Curio 7x21, CL 8x25 or Victory 8x25?
I understand all are optically very equal.
But according to a review at Cloudy Nights, Zeiss Terra 8x25 is sharper than CL 8x25. But I have compared Terra 8x25 to Curio 7x21 and Curio was clearly superior. This should mean Curio 7x21 is clearly superior to CL 8x25...
I have not tried Victory 8x25 so far, but at pictures you can see that the eye lens is more recessed than of the Swaros. And at the same time it has wider AFOV. Still an owner mean Victory 8x25 is as good as CL 8x25 with eyeglasses.
Can anyone confirm this? And does Victory 8x25 have longer useful eye relief than Terra 8x25?
Because both Curio 7x21 and CL 8x25 work better with eyeglasses for me than Terra 8x25.

But according to a review at Cloudy Nights, Zeiss Terra 8x25 is sharper than CL 8x25. But I have compared Terra 8x25 to Curio 7x21 and Curio was clearly superior. This should mean Curio 7x21 is clearly superior to CL 8x25...
I think the CL 8x25 is clearly superior to the Terra 8x25. I do not understand this comparison on Cloudy Nights. Maybe he had a Terra that was still made in Japan. I don't know.
I had the Terra 8x25, but sold it.

I compared the CL 8x25 with the Curio as well and like them both. Optically not much difference imo, although the curio is smaller and has larger fov and dof because the lower magnification.

Estetically CL 8x25 attracts me most of these three. I think it has the best looking design.
While I am not a fan of double hinge design which is more complicated to fold out to the right viewing position, and makes the bino thicker when it's folded, the uncentered focusing wheel of Victory 8x25 feels odd.
Curio 7x21 feels like the perfect compact bino, but in my opinion requires attaching of friction tape because it has a slippery over side. When I tried it I realised it easy slips out of the fingers when it's unfolded. At least when the hands are dry.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back