• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CL 8x25 (2 Viewers)

Rg548

Retired Somewhere
United Kingdom
I was testing a few bins out lately, at a local shop, and mentioned I also had the CL 8x25.
The retailer immediately said what an awesome binocular it is. I had the same response at another shop not long after I had bought them, whilst testing bigger bins elsewhere.
I was completely blown away with the optics, and useability (for a pocket), and had no reservations buying a pair.
I considered them to be superior to both Leica pockets, Trins and UV's, I'm aware they are only 20's, with far better accessories, ie strap and case, better viewing comfort, and general handling etc.
I think the single hinge on the Zeiss pockets just does NOT work for that format, regardless of the optics, which I see as on par with Swaro, not superior, just my opinion.
Diane Porter decided to get some CL10x25's after testing them, and was so impressed, decided they could actually be used as a main pair. That's quite a claim!
My mate tried them, and was also completely blown away with what a small optic could do.

My only gripe is the eye cups, which never stay put. They even move when I put the eyepiece guards on!
I much prefer a click preset affair, or at least significantly stiffer twist action to prevent movement.
This aside, they are very impressive.

But I don't see much love for these on this forum, and just wondered why.
Lots of folk go on about the Zeiss Victory pockets, but I don't rate them as highly as the Swaro as an all round pocket option.

I was testing a few bins out lately, at a local shop, and mentioned I also had the CL 8x25.
The retailer immediately said what an awesome binocular it is. I had the same response at another shop not long after I had bought them, whilst testing bigger bins elsewhere.
I was completely blown away with the optics, and useability (for a pocket), and had no reservations buying a pair.
I considered them to be superior to both Leica pockets, Trins and UV's, I'm aware they are only 20's, with far better accessories, ie strap and case, better viewing comfort, and general handling etc.
I think the single hinge on the Zeiss pockets just does NOT work for that format, regardless of the optics, which I see as on par with Swaro, not superior, just my opinion.
Diane Porter decided to get some CL10x25's after testing them, and was so impressed, decided they could actually be used as a main pair. That's quite a claim!
My mate tried them, and was also completely blown away with what a small optic could do.

My only gripe is the eye cups, which never stay put. They even move when I put the eyepiece guards on!
I much prefer a click preset affair, or at least significantly stiffer twist action to prevent movement.
This aside, they are very impressive.

Lots of folk go on about the Zeiss Victory pockets, but I don't rate them as highly as the Swaro as an all round pocket option.

I love my 8x25 CLs, Completely agree with you & also wonder why the negative feelings for these on the forum.

By the way my eye cups stay in place.

I love my 8x25 CLs, Completely agree with you & also wonder why the negative feelings for these on the forum.

So the twist action is stiff enough, theres enough resistance to hold.
Mine are silky smooth.... but turn too easy.

Well, with tongue firmly planted in cheek, its cuz we think the single hinge is the bees knees....

Kidding aside, my experience is no doubt different from yours. I could be wrong. I have interpreted the somewhat looser hinge on my example of the Zeiss, to be by design so that collapsing for in and out of pocket carry is easier. If so, one problem then occurs, and in fact is true of my example. The looser hinge means the IPD setting is lost easy enough, just through handling. I carry mine bandolier style, and leave them out on my desk, so don't need the collapsing feature that often. If Swaros double hinge is fit as loosely as this Zeiss, the double hinge would be a drag to be constantly fussing with when you bring the bino up to your eyes after carrying, if it had moved a bit, and now have to adjust IPD quickly. One's easier than 2, if hinges are indeed by design, looser on these.

I could be wrong about this having no experience with the Swaro, except in a store. Thoughts?

When these first came out years ago there was a ton of praise I recall.
I’ve never tried one, but I have tried the Zeiss Victory pocket which is great.

I’ve always wanted the 8x25 Swaro pocket, but wonder if it’s super finicky wearing glasses. Does anyone use the 8x25 with glasses comfortably?
Also the fov looks super narrow. Does anyone feel it’s too restrictive?
I would love to have one of these, but I have those reservations.

Well, with tongue firmly planted in cheek, its cuz we think the single hinge is the bees knees....

Kidding aside, my experience is no doubt different from yours. I could be wrong. I have interpreted the somewhat looser hinge on my example of the Zeiss, to be by design so that collapsing for in and out of pocket carry is easier. If so, one problem then occurs, and in fact is true of my example. The looser hinge means the IPD setting is lost easy enough, just through handling. I carry mine bandolier style, and leave them out on my desk, so don't need the collapsing feature that often. If Swaros double hinge is fit as loosely as this Zeiss, the double hinge would be a drag to be constantly fussing with when you bring the bino up to your eyes after carrying, if it had moved a bit, and now have to adjust IPD quickly. One's easier than 2, if hinges are indeed by design, looser on these.

I could be wrong about this having no experience with the Swaro, except in a store. Thoughts?
The hinges are just fine, it's the twist eyecups are too easily turned for my liking.

When these first came out years ago there was a ton of praise I recall.
I’ve never tried one, but I have tried the Zeiss Victory pocket which is great.

I’ve always wanted the 8x25 Swaro pocket, but wonder if it’s super finicky wearing glasses. Does anyone use the 8x25 with glasses comfortably?
I don't find the field of view too restrictive. I guess that's personal, because some folk may do.
I do find for a pocket bin they are exceptional.
Sorry, I don't wear glasses so can't comment there.
Optically they are spot on though(y)

I don't find the field of view too restrictive. I guess that's personal, because some folk may do.
I do find for a pocket bin they are exceptional.
Sorry, I don't wear glasses so can't comment there.
Optically they are spot on though(y)
Thanks ... I’ve mostly read good things about it.

My wife wears eyeglasses when using her 8x25 CL-P, and she has no issues at all.
I have one too, and neither of us find the FOV to be restrictive. We like them a lot. We carry them while hiking, when glassing is not the main objective.
We have no issues with the eyecups. They stay in place until we screw them back in.

Have used the 8x25 CLs for three years and love 'em. They live in the console of my car and get lots of use. I wear glasses and have no eye relief or FOV problems with them.

Wife has the Zeiss 8x25s and likes them. I do too, but prefer my Swaros. She prefers the single hinge, and she wears glasses also, no problems.

Previously owned 8x20 Nikons, and tried 8x20 Swaros. For me, the 25mm objective is the minimum I can enjoy.

We each have a pair of Swaro 8.5x42 and 8x32, but never hesitate to use our 8x25 compacts. They are awesome little bins.

Nothing "wrong" with the CL 8x25, an excellent bin. But like many people I much prefer the handling/single hinge and eye placement of the VP 8x25. The 394' FOV vs the CL's 357' makes a big difference to me and is probably the main reason why more is posted about the VP. No problems for me with either in use with or without glasses, hinge tension or eyecup function.

Mike

When the owner is in Canada:
Is this model repaired / serviced in USA?
"As long as the serial number was originally sold through the US/Canada it would have our warranty. If repairs are needed, it would need to be repaired here in the US." (SWAROVSKI OPTIK North America)

Last edited:
I agree with your assessment. They are extremely good.
I've had mine for a few years. Also 8x25s. I like them a lot. And sometimes talk about their virtues on here. I also complain sometimes as they do not get as pocketable as I would like. Also I have complained because I have broken mine twice - but it wasn't their fault. But really, they are very good for their size and they impress me whenever I use them.
Also, I've owned both the Victorys and the CLs and I prefer the CLs.
I got the "Mountain" edition, which are also just a really nice color. Very nice looking binoculars.
I've used mine with sunglasses and they work fine.
The field of view doesn't seem super narrow. Certainly narrower than a 32 or 42, but it isn't bothersome to me. I don't find it restrictive at all.

I agree with your assessment. They are extremely good.
I've had mine for a few years. Also 8x25s. I like them a lot. And sometimes talk about their virtues on here. I also complain sometimes as they do not get as pocketable as I would like. Also I have complained because I have broken mine twice - but it wasn't their fault. But really, they are very good for their size and they impress me whenever I use them.
Also, I've owned both the Victorys and the CLs and I prefer the CLs.
I got the "Mountain" edition, which are also just a really nice color. Very nice looking binoculars.

I've used mine with sunglasses and they work fine.
The field of view doesn't seem super narrow. Certainly narrower than a 32 or 42, but it isn't bothersome to me. I don't find it restrictive at all.
How did you break them??

How did you break them??
One time I had them in their case mounted to the belt strap of my backpack. I took a tumble and smashed them on a rock. They were out of collimation and one of hinges was floppy and loose.
The other time I dropped them in their case from about 5 feet straight onto a hard wood floor. They were out of collimation.
Swarovski fixed them up for me in both cases.

I had both the 8x25 and 10x25 Pocket CLs for about seven years. I found them to be of excellent build quality, with great optics. And no problems at all with the eyecups moving on their own nor hinge tension.

I rarely need pocket bins, however, so I rarely used them. And for general use, they were a bit too fiddly for my liking, owing to their size, small eyecups, etc. For compact binoculars, I much preferred the 8x32 and 10x32 UVHD+ Leicas - for ergonomics, greater ease of use, and "the view". So, I sold both of the CLs. If I had a greater need for pocket bins, I would have kept them, though I might prefer something slightly smaller than the CL x25s, for easier "pocket-ability".

I use mine a fair bit - they are definitely jacket pocketable rather than shirt pocketable, but small enough for me to carry places where I wouldn't otherwise carry bins. This morning for instance on the way back from dropping my wife at the station I could stop off in the local recreation ground for 20 minutes before starting work.

They're very bright for an 8x25, very sharp with very little fall off towards the edges. CA has to be pretty much forced to appear. Perfect eyerelief for me, and the hinges hold my IPD without needing to constantly readjust. Yes FoV isn't the most generous, but I can't say I've been crying out for more in real world use. The eyecups are big enough for me (and I'm not small) to use comfortably enough. My other bins are 7x50 SLC (big beasts) and 10x40 Habichts (light but bulky) and the 8x25s fill a useful gap for me without compromising on optical quality. I don't feel the need for an 8x32 to go with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back