• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

CL 8x25 (1 Viewer)

I am very interested in buying this compact model. I want a light pair I can leave around the neck without it being a strain. However, my one concern is the following. I have heard and read that the green coating on the CL-25 (8x25) can wear out. In the summer months I use DEET and likely will have some on my hands when holding the bins. How much of a issue is the peeling or wearing out of the green coating on the bins?

I am very interested in buying this compact model. I want a light pair I can leave around the neck without it being a strain. However, my one concern is the following. I have heard and read that the green coating on the CL-25 (8x25) can wear out. In the summer months I use DEET and likely will have some on my hands when holding the bins. How much of a issue is the peeling or wearing out of the green coating on the bins?
Are we talking about the external armour here.
If so, I have the charcaol ones, and they are showing zero signs of wear at the moment.
I have heard of one or two Curio 7x exterior wear problems.
I'm a huge fan of the CL8x25's, really excellent lightweight bino. No regrets whatsoever!!
Also, more money, but the 8x30's are bloody brilliant.... really impressive.

Are we talking about the external armour here.
If so, I have the charcaol ones, and they are showing zero signs of wear at the moment.
I have heard of one or two Curio 7x exterior wear problems.
I'm a huge fan of the CL8x25's, really excellent lightweight bino. No regrets whatsoever!!
Also, more money, but the 8x30's are bloody brilliant.... really impressive.
Yes, the external green armour. I have read a few comments about the "bio-degradable
Well, I finally ordered the CL 8x25. Looking forward to using it a lot. I have lost several full-sized 8x42 bins by leaving them on the ground to take photos. Then forgetting to pick it up. The compact CL 8x25 will always be around my neck or stuffed into a big pocket. No leaving on the ground due to the large size. I don't plan to ginger them. I use both Deet and sunscreen in the summer months. Hate mosquitos. I will try and clean my hands before handling the new bins. And clean them with a damp cloth and soft detergent every now and then or regularly wipe them down. The Swarovski CL 8x25 will be the best bins I have owned.

I see that Swarovski came out with a new model of the CL 8x25 in 2021. Mine arrived this week. It comes with an eye-cup rain guard like on full-sized binoculars. It mentions some other improvements. SWAROVSKI OPTIK Announces New and Upgraded CL Pocket Binocular Available from Today

One thing it doesn't come with is the neoprene rain cover that I see on Youtube unboxing videos from several years ago.

I managed to use the new bins indoors in good light and outdoors in very low light. I like the view so far. Sharp, bright and clear. I only saw a very thin line or edge of purple CA looking at the edge of a piece of white plastic against a bright window.

I see that Swarovski came out with a new model of the CL 8x25 in 2021. Mine arrived this week. It comes with an eye-cup rain guard like on full-sized binoculars. It mentions some other improvements. SWAROVSKI OPTIK Announces New and Upgraded CL Pocket Binocular Available from Today

One thing it doesn't come with is the neoprene rain cover that I see on Youtube unboxing videos from several years ago.

I managed to use the new bins indoors in good light and outdoors in very low light. I like the view so far. Sharp, bright and clear. I only saw a very thin line or edge of purple CA looking at the edge of a piece of white plastic against a bright window.
Yes that's right, no cover.
The bridge curves to the barrels, as opposed to a straight cut down, nicer to the touch.
Opticron do some awesome little objective covers that fit perfectly, well worth it in my opinion, so you can be a bit more relaxed carrying them around!!
Had mine out on the paddle board yesterday(y)

NLC, post 29,

The very slight size differences in size between the Curio and the UV 8x20 are insignificant in actual use. For example I use the Curio rain guard as objective cover on the UV for folded carry in a belt pouch. Fit is a bit tight but it works.

To get meaningfully smaller than either of these two, you have to go with something like the Nikon 6x15. See pic.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_0326.jpg
    IMG_0326.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 102
Is the 8x20 UV smaller than the CL Curio 7x21? If not, I already have the CL 8x25 and will go for an even more compact bin like the 7x21.
I really can't see enough of a difference in size between the Curios, Ultravids or CL 8x25's. They are all really manageable, and having owned Trinovid 8x20's, Ultravid 8x20's, and now CL8x25's, I much prefer the small compromise of slightly larger 25's, as they are still barely noticeable, but definately more useable.
The 25's are 'slightly' larger than the 20's, but 'considerably' smaller than any single hinge 8x30/32.
I know there are people on here who count the ounces/grams, but seriously, they don't weigh much more than a mobile phone!

I am very comfortable with the CL 8x25 now having used them for several days. Things I notice that most people have already commented on. I did catch my finger on the folding hinge a few times but always able to stop, so no pinch. I am getting used to the narrower FOV. Getting used to moving the rain eye covers out of the way (I have it thru the strap only on the one side). Picked up my Vortex 8x42 and man, are the hinges ever stiff after using the CL 8x25.

I really can't see enough of a difference in size between the Curios, Ultravids or CL 8x25's. They are all really manageable, and having owned Trinovid 8x20's, Ultravid 8x20's, and now CL8x25's, I much prefer the small compromise of slightly larger 25's, as they are still barely noticeable, but definately more useable.
The 25's are 'slightly' larger than the 20's, but 'considerably' smaller than any single hinge 8x30/32.
I know there are people on here who count the ounces/grams, but seriously, they don't weigh much more than a mobile phone!

Rg,

You make good points based on direct experience in favor of an 8x25 versus an 8x20 as a "one and done" pocket. For me though, size aside, the Curio 7x with its best FOV and DOF of any alpha pocket, 3 mm EP, slightly cleaner image and likely (depending on whether they handle well for the user) more stable view is a very different animal than an 8x20 UV. So again assuming one can handle the Curio, unlike the UV, it gives up only magnification against an 8x25 in return for a number of other synergistic benefits, including size.That said, 7s don't work for everyone so YMMV.

Cheers,

Mike

Yes, the external green armour. I have read a few comments about the "bio-degradable

Well, I finally ordered the CL 8x25. Looking forward to using it a lot. I have lost several full-sized 8x42 bins by leaving them on the ground to take photos. Then forgetting to pick it up. The compact CL 8x25 will always be around my neck or stuffed into a big pocket. No leaving on the ground due to the large size. I don't plan to ginger them. I use both Deet and sunscreen in the summer months. Hate mosquitos. I will try and clean my hands before handling the new bins. And clean them with a damp cloth and soft detergent every now and then or regularly wipe them down. The Swarovski CL 8x25 will be the best bins I have owned.
Ahah, Those who followed you for sure made good finds 😉

I've now swapped my CL8x25's for Ultravid 8x20. I wanted smaller, the 8x25's were a bit too 'middle ground', as good as they were.

I understand. CL 8x25 is just a bit bigger than true pocket size. And while it's brighter than 8x20 it's still not bright enough for real darkness use.
But did you consider Curio 7x21, or have you decided to keep 8x? I have tried all three of these models(actually owned UV 8x20) and while optically they are all excellent, UV 8x20 has shortest eye relief, not fully satisfactory for my eyeglasses use. Still I think it's the 8x20 model best for eyeglasses.

I understand. CL 8x25 is just a bit bigger than true pocket size. And while it's brighter than 8x20 it's still not bright enough for real darkness use.
But did you consider Curio 7x21, or have you decided to keep 8x? I have tried all three of these models(actually owned UV 8x20) and while optically they are all excellent, UV 8x20 has shortest eye relief, not fully satisfactory for my eyeglasses use. Still I think it's the 8x20 model best for eyeglasses.
Yes I really rate the Curios, but the build of the Leica, and the way they feel, adds to the overall ownership. I'm also a self confessed Leica fan (y).
The Curios were brighter, and a superb image, only better in a direct quick comparison with the Ultras.
It's interesting how opinions can change, as I rated the 8x25's as not much bigger and worth the extra size, but after a while, I really wanted smaller again. There was a few occassions i left the 8x25's behind, but there isn't a time I have done that with the 8x20's especially since i stole another members' idea of a soft sunglasses case.

The Nikon HG 10x25 has slightly lower transmission than the Curio 7x21 or Zeiss 8x25, but other than that it kills all the pockets, including the Leica's because it has sharper edges, it is built like a watch and the focuser is smoother. The Nikon HG beats the Curio 7x21, Zeiss 8x25, Leica Trinovid 8x20 and Leica UV 8x20 in low light because it has a higher Twilight Factor of 15.8, and it is almost 1/2 the price and the focuser knob doesn't fall off like the Curio.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back