• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birdbooks and advice for Kenya (1 Viewer)

Expiry

I'm off to Kenya in November for my honeymoon. I have safaris booked in Tsavo East, Masai Mara and Aberdare parks. Then a 10 day stay by the beach in Ukunda.

I could do with a field guide to take with me, as I'm not an absolute expert on birds, though I do know more than the average Joe.

If any of you have any suggestions, other than what's already on here, then that would be really appreciated.

Also, is there anywhere that I really should go/ do/ see?

And finally, what equipment do you recommend I take? i have a decent pair of binoculars, a dslr with a 300mm and a 500mm lens. Should I also take my telescope or is that a bit of overkill?

I promise to post lots of exciting photos when I'm back in return for any advice or tips you have.

Jamie.

Welcome to Birdforum! I am afraid that Africa is not the continent I know anything about, so hopefully, someone else will come by ;)

Niels

Welcome to BirdForum! Kenya seems like an almost impossible place to go for a honeymoon. I would definitely get myself in trouble by paying too much attention to the birds! Tsavo, the Mara, and the Aberadares seem like a good cross section of the country though for a short trip. If you're looking to add more, try Mt. Kenya, Kakamega, or Malindi instead of Ukunda. Malindi is slightly further north and closer the the Arabuke-Sokoke Reserve for some absolutely fantastic birding (nice beach resorts for a honeymoon as well). I'm sure you'll have a great time though regardless of where you go!

Cheers,
Benji

Unfortunately Ukunda is the wrong side of Mombasa for the best coastal birding.

Presumably you are already booked & it can't be changed but in the unlikely event that it can take a look at the Watamu area (2hours+ drive north of Mombasa) > easy access to the Arabuko-Sokoke forest (good forest birds such as Crowned, Trumpeter & Silvery-cheeked Hornbills, Narina Trogon, etc; and of course the VERY range-restricted A-S specialities such as Amani Sunbird, Clarke's Weaver, Sokoke Pipit, Sokoke Scops Owl,etc).

There are good hotels at Watamu & the fabulous Mida creek is nearby (Crab Plover is the speciality here).

An hours drive north of Watamu is the Sabaki river mouth -a superb site for waterbirds including some uncommon terns, African Openbill, African Skimmer,etc.

There are good birding guides based near Watamu that can organise day trips for you.

If this isn't possible try to organise a trip (or even an overnight stay -not expensive) at Shimba Hills as there is a good range of forest birds found here as well as the only population of Sable Antelope in Kenya (Shimba Hills is probaly a 1.5 -2 hour drive from Ukunda.

Regardless of your final plans I'm sure you'll have a great time! ;)

Went this year for the first time and was glad of the revision I did at home for months beforehand - just familiarising myself with the different groups of birds that were likely so that I would know which section of the book to jump to when I saw something. The book I used was Birds of East Africa by Stevenson and Fanshawe. It was fantastic and all I needed.

One thing I did do (because I'm a sad nerd! :eek!: ) was cut a thumb-index down the edge of the pages for some of the main groups so I could find the right place in the book quickly (see attached pics). It took me a couple of hours with a scalpel and some book tape but I'm so glad I did. It meant I could jump straight to kingfishers or barbets or sunbirds or whatever I needed really quickly.

I was worried that being on a 'regular safari' - not a bird safari - would mean we wouldn't see many birds. However, I made it clear to our driver that I was interested in birds and everyone was keen to stop for the bigger/more colourful species. We didn't make stops for larks etc. but then I'm not sure I wanted to - there's so much more to look at! I still managed over 300 species in the two weeks (almost all of which were new to me :t: ).

Around the lodges, there were lots of birds to see. When everybody else was lounging by the pool, I was grilling the sparrows/weavers/sunbirds etc. There were also chances to do bird walks with local guides in the lodges for a small extra charge.

I think going to the coast is a good idea. We did that, too (Turtle Bay near Watamu). We hired a local guide for one day there (from Spinetail Safaris) to explore the Arabuko-Sokoke forest. However, on the coast itself there were very few birds and so I did actually manage to relax a bit and spend 'quality time' with my partner. If you can do this too, it might mean your honeymoon won't be quickly followed by divorce!

Have a good trip!

Ken

Attachments

• DSCF9030.JPG
    DSCF9030.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 160
  • DSCF9032.JPG
    DSCF9032.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 153
(because I'm a sad nerd! :eek!: )

That makes me one too then Ken! I do the same, you should see the state of my Australian field guide in anticipation of next year! I use tiny 'Post-it Index' tabs. Certainly makes life easier in the field as you rightly say.

By the way, I stayed at the Turtle Bay a few years back, very nice.Used David Ngala, from spinetails for all my guiding. Cracking bird guide.

By the way, I stayed at the Turtle Bay a few years back, very nice.Used David Ngala, from spinetails for all my guiding. Cracking bird guide.

David Ngala is indeed a fantastic bird guide. He has now retired from the Kenyan Forestry Dept and works as a conservationist in the Arabuko-Sokoke forest, an arduous and at times dangerous job!
David's uphill struggle can be followed here: http://davidngala.wildlifedirect.or...hreatened-by-tree-poachers-in-arabuko-sokoke/

The most recent blog entry describes the ongoing problems of "tree poaching" and the disturbance of a Crowned Eagle eyrie. I stood below that very tree 2 years ago (amongst the duiker skulls and the monkey tails) as we checked out the eagle eyrie ....and now the tree has gone!!

I think David, Albert and Willy still do bird guiding ( http://www.assets-kenya.org/spinetailsafaris.htm ).

Thanks all of you. I appreciate your help.

What do you think about takingmy scope. Is it worth it? Do you all carry that as well as binos and camera? I always feel I have to take them all just in case.

The scope would definitely help if looking for shorebirds along the coast. In Tsavo, the Mara, and the Aberdares you'll be in a vehicle for most of the time and the scope might not be as useful. I've always brought mine with me anyway and set it up in the vehicles to use. I definitely find it come in hand and never go birding without it (I also do a lot of digiscoping though).

Cheers,
Benji

We took our honeymoon in Kenya, back in June 2006, having been on a short trip there in November 2004. If you're not too vexed about amassing a big trip list (I wasn't, much) you'll have a terrific time and see some wonderful birds (and mammals, reptiles, bugs, scenery etc). Itinerary looks fine, the only change you might consider would be to try to overnight at one of the rift lakes. We did Aberdares, Naivasha, Nakuru for the first week and then Masai Mara for the second. Trouble is Kenya is one of those countries that you'd struggle to do justice to in two months, let alone two weeks. When I've more time and have my notebooks to hand I'll fill you in on some of our highlights, whet your appetite, maybe even a pic or two.

Hope you have a great time.

James

ps - where you staying in Aberdares? Here's a link to a shot of what was probably bird of the trip at Aberdares Country Club

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/98879/ppuser/7131

Hi Jamie,

Firstly I am extremely jealous having spent two weeks there in November last year, we also took the Birds of East Africa but also Birds of Kenya and Northern Tanzania - it has certain advantages being more localised in its details, however the detailed descriptions of the birds are on different pages from the pictures. Still both are excellent guides.

Ukunda is definitely the "wrong side" of Mombassa and I agree with previous posters that the area to the north is superb (we hired Albert from Spinetail Safaris for two days, including a day trip to Tsavo East and a day around the Arabouko Sokoke Forest plus the excellent Sabaki and Mida creeks)

Telescopes are definitely not advisable in the safari vehicles, but we found them indispensible whilst on the coast and around the safari lodges.

We had an overnight in Nairobi (plane delay - the best one ever), four days on safari (Treetops, Naivasha and two days in the Masai Mara) and then 9 days on the coast around Malindi.

As previously stated by others the diversity is incredible and we plan to return in two years time (Nakuru will definitely be on the itinerary and more time in the Highlands). Two birders and their wives (they both loved the animals and certainly helped on occassions with the ubiquitous "what's that over there?"). We also only birded properly on the coast for two days, yet managed in excess of 380 species in the two weeks plus lots of amazing animals and some of the nicest and most helpful people we have ever met!

Have a super honeymoon and I hope that like us you can't wait to return!!

I'd say a definite yes to taking a scope. I used it around the lodges etc. and for a bit of digiscoping. However, I did use it in the safari transport, too. It was tight for space - but others on the safari enjoyed looking through it to get even better views of the animals and then didn't mind lingering on a bird from time to time!

I'd say a definite yes to taking a scope. I used it around the lodges etc. and for a bit of digiscoping. However, I did use it in the safari transport, too. It was tight for space - but others on the safari enjoyed looking through it to get even better views of the animals and then didn't mind lingering on a bird from time to time!

Strongly agree about the scope.
Obviously you have to stay in the safari vehicle except at a very few spots so a scope is great for grilling even small birds that are too far for seeing well with bins. If there are six of you in the vehicle it could be a bit awkward though.

Steve

Jamie

I think you have the good advice of many who have come to Kenya ,. including my old friend Steve Lister . The 2 field guides mentioned , ie Birds of East Africa and Birds of Kenya and N Tanzania , have their fans . The former is better laid out whilst the latter has the better pictures .
I have lived in Kenya for over 16 years and there are still many place to go for the more unusual birds .
I do think the advice re the coast is very good . Better to go upto Malindi than Ukunda , if you can ,and Turtle Bay at Watamu is very bird friendly.

If you have time to visit the National Museum in Nairobi , its well worthwhile , with a bird section to see . We ,Nature Kenya also have our offices there and we have plenty of publications which will help .
And to all birders thinking of coming here , we have just produced a new Kenya Checklist , put together by the top experts and I think is a must to have on safari . It really is very good , and costs only 250 sh [ie 2 pounds]

Mike D in Nairobi

I'm off to Kenya in November for my honeymoon. I have safaris booked in Tsavo East, Masai Mara and Aberdare parks. Then a 10 day stay by the beach in Ukunda.

I could do with a field guide to take with me, as I'm not an absolute expert on birds, though I do know more than the average Joe.

If any of you have any suggestions, other than what's already on here, then that would be really appreciated.

Also, is there anywhere that I really should go/ do/ see?

And finally, what equipment do you recommend I take? i have a decent pair of binoculars, a dslr with a 300mm and a 500mm lens. Should I also take my telescope or is that a bit of overkill?

I promise to post lots of exciting photos when I'm back in return for any advice or tips you have.

Jamie.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back