• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aurora HG comparison? (1 Viewer)

Aurora won in sharpness on axis. (this is 8x comparison)

Nikon HG won on edge to edge. The Aurora drops off a TINY amount. Nikons is truly FLAT.

Aurora won on contrast and colour (for me) with the woodlands and waters sparkling in the Aurora.

Nikon and Aurora have absolutely insane resistance to glare. Both need to be taken DANGEROUSLY close to the sun before getting into trouble. Both were stellar in that respect.

Both are equal in CA resistance on axis. NIKON HG wins across entire field. Aurora has a little creeping in at the very last 10% of image. Nikons were across the entire field.

Now - Why I chose the Opticron? Feel in the hand and to the face. The Nikon left me struggling. The Aurora were an 'up and ready to use' bin from out of the box and into the field.

Opticron wins hands freaking down for diopter. It is perfection. Centre wheel, click out to adjust, click back in for lock and leave. It is sublime, as is this insanely smooth focus.

So there you have it. The 'whys' as to me handing back the HG and going for the Opticron. It is an incredible instrument, a true professional bit of kit that I have zero regrets taking out across the wilds.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back