• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Asking for help: Meopta Meostar B1 10 X 42 vs Opticron Aurora BGA VHD 10 x 42 (3 Viewers)

in the center of the view, it's true. compared to 8x40 SFL.

sfl itself shows strong purple CA at the edge. especially 10x40.
but aurora have more CA at the end of the edge.
aurora's center CA control can be better then you expected.
really deserve a praise, but I think also it's strong edge CA deserve some criticize.
just around 10 percent but still manage to bother my eyes in some occasions.

when I compared meostar B1+ 8x42 to sfl 8x40, sfl has bit less center CA.
maybe because meostar don't deploy HD lens at 7,8 power.

I wish I could suppress my almost neurotic dislike for CA...life would be simpler. It seems to me the B1.1 10 x 42 will be the best choice for me in the price bracket I have settled on.

I'm quite happy with the Fuji HC 8x42 when it comes to control of false color.
Here's a few pics I took with my cellphone camera through the Fuji HC in winter.
IMG_20230118_151748.jpgIMG_20230118_152405.jpg

I'm quite happy with the Fuji HC 8x42 when it comes to control of false color.
Here's a few pics I took with my cellphone camera through the Fuji HC in winter.
View attachment 1572311View attachment 1572310
Thank you for providing winter pictures. It appears to me that your Fuji has much better edge to edge clarity compared to my Meostar B1 10 x 42 but it has more CA. Is the CA a result of taking pictures through a mobile phone?
I have "cheated" a bit by enlarging part of one picture:
1712926980988.png

If you enlarge it enough there will probably be a bit of false color in almost every bino. But I see very little of it when using and it's only at the edge while I have others were the false color is visible as soon as an object is not perfectly centered.
And I suspect that the cell phone camera might actually have some false color, too. That's why it's best to try in person. Fuji HC is definitely a very good binocular. Better coatings than the FMTR.
But I never looked through the Meostar. I only have the old Meopro HD 8x32 which is also excellent.

If you enlarge it enough there will probably be a bit of false color in almost every bino. But I see very little of it when using and it's only at the edge while I have others were the false color is visible as soon as an object is not perfectly centered.
And I suspect that the cell phone camera might actually have some false color, too. That's why it's best to try in person. Fuji HC is definitely a very good binocular. Better coatings than the FMTR.
But I never looked through the Meostar. I only have the old Meopro HD 8x32 which is also excellent.
Interesting you mention the Fujinon FMTR and its coatings. I bought the 16x70 FMTR-SX yesterday and in all my years of using binoculars I have never experienced such a high level of Chromatic Abberation. Tested and very quickly packed up for return.

The actual bino is superb, beautifully made but wow, every edge was either purple or green and irrespective of wherever I placed my eye, I could not get rid of it.

If weight is a concern I would go with a 8x30-32 format instead of 8x42. The only thing you’ll give up is a little low light performance but the weight and size difference will be substantial. Lots of good options as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back